• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

My wife accidentally bought some 'low fat mozzarella'.  I've told her off appropriately, but that leaves the question -- what the hell is it?

• Normal mozzarella -- 15% fat, 0.5% carbs, 18% protein.
  • low fat mozzarella -- 8.5% fat, 1% carbs, 19% protein.

Where's the rest of the %ages gone?  Is low fat mozzarella just normal mozzarella with water replacing half the fat?  It certainly doesn't cook well.

Anyway, as far as I can tell I just need to eat 50% more of the stuff, so it certainly isn't an economical thing to eat.

2 hours ago, dgul said:

My wife accidentally bought some 'low fat mozzarella'.  I've told her off appropriately, but that leaves the question -- what the hell is it?

Where's the rest of the %ages gone?  Is low fat mozzarella just normal mozzarella with water replacing half the fat?  It certainly doesn't cook well.

Anyway, as far as I can tell I just need to eat 50% more of the stuff, so it certainly isn't an economical thing to eat.

Xanthan gum maybe?

Made from the poo of bacteria from what I can work out...

:Sick1:

2 hours ago, dgul said:

Chuck it in the bin unless you're strapped for cash. I hate wasting food, but low fat shite is not included in this general mantra. Or use it for "filler" meals like when you just need a quick BLTC sandwich to keep you going, add more mayonnaise than usual to sandwich.

Bumble bees are one of the ways in which the Universe fecks with out heads. They should not be able to fly but they do.

Low fat milk and cheese is another way the Universe messes with us. Usually low-fat has more protein, more calcium and more carbs. Perhaps they are proof of the existence of some supreme being.

I was only having this conversation with myself this very morning whilst making some cheese on toast. I have found some cheese that goes brown when it is melted underneth the grill - something which is more and more difficult these days.

If you made your own cheese you would have some liquid left at the end - basically whey. Not a problem when you are making a bit of cheese. But for these industrial cheese producers they are faced with vast amounts of liquid left... and it costs to get rid of it... so they find a way of turning it into cheese... and hence our cheese is getting cr@ppier IMPO.. Pressurised liquid that falls aprt to gunk... It is so fecking hard to get a quality strong cheddar in the UK these days... even many of the supposedly small-scale production cheese are basically using industrial processes to maximise their yield.

The last time we had a row with Russia the price of cheese felt considerably. I am hoping for the same this time.

If you have read this far you are as sad as I am.

I avoid low fat anything. It’s obviously processed more or has additives of some kind. I’m a believer in eating a variety of more natural full fats.

As TMT posts above even decent full fat cheese is harder to find these days. Cheese, like many others things, just doesn’t taste as good these days.

For a number of years I thought perhaps my taste buds weren’t as good but I’ve discounted that idea now after discovering over the years that many people think mass produced food doesn’t taste as good as that from small local producers.

Anyone who grows fruit or veg will know that what you harvest from your garden is sublime in comparison to the equivalent item being bought in a supermarket.

1 hour ago, Economic Exile said:

Anyone who grows fruit or veg will know that what you harvest from your garden is sublime in comparison to the equivalent item being bought in a supermarket.

It's even better if the home-produced stuff uses varieties that are meant to taste good. I once ate at the home of someone who knew all about this. Apparently there are authorities in the U.K. that prevent anything tasty actually being sold, so it's useless buying from main plant/seed dealers, but at the time I ate at his house there was some kind of seed exchange thing(i.e. no money)  operating by post to make it legal. DYOR. Maybe it's online now?

I confirm that the tomatoes were like nothing I ever tasted in the U.K. Before or since.

2 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

It's even better if the home-produced stuff uses varieties that are meant to taste good. I once ate at the home of someone who knew all about this. Apparently there are authorities in the U.K. that prevent anything tasty actually being sold, so it's useless buying from main plant/seed dealers, but at the time I ate at his house there was some kind of seed exchange thing(i.e. no money)  operating by post to make it legal. DYOR. Maybe it's online now?

I confirm that the tomatoes were like nothing I ever tasted in the U.K. Before or since.

This all makes sense. My dad grew tomatoes when I was growing up. Alisa Craig were the ones he preferred. They were gorgeous. Really tasted of something. Over the years, I have tried to recreate these, even growing the same type. To no avail.  They just don’t have the taste no matter what I try. 

Perhaps @sarahbell our resident expert can shed light?  

5 hours ago, DTMark said:

Maybe the percentages are by volume and the missing percentages represent empty space :)

Is that like something that contains only 2% fat meaning you can eat 98% of it completely guilt free?

41 minutes ago, One percent said:

This all makes sense. My dad grew tomatoes when I was growing up. Alisa Craig were the ones he preferred. They were gorgeous. Really tasted of something. Over the years, I have tried to recreate these, even growing the same type. To no avail.  They just don’t have the taste no matter what I try. 

Perhaps @sarahbell our resident expert can shed light?  

Perhaps it is the taste equivalent of the wagon wheel size effect?

16 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

You are correct swissy regarding your taste buds IMO.

I look to places that are family orientetated and have “untampered with” seeds for sale. Getting harder to find even in a rural area!

The problem, IMO, is that increasingly because of population increases the supply system has been doused with chemicals to ensure a crop and also genetic fiddling to ensure the same. :(

As a long term gardener for my own consumption I can appreciate how hard it is working with nature. Some years you win some you lose!

TPTP have a major headache IMO to win against nature with regard to population explosion and attempting to feed everyone who rocks up to an eu country they’ve had to resort to chemical management. IMO this will possibly have unfortunate consequences for the ordinary person like you and me. Additive consumers will, I would guess, not live as long as those who seek to eat additive free stuff, IMO.

Nature will win out would be my guess. Too much interference will result in a cull IMO. I think we’re already in that zone of nature showing who is really boss. IMO it’s definitely not human beings who are control. I’m not being defeatist but in general, IMO, humanity overall is a dying life form on planet earth....nature will win in the end however it occurs......

Perhaps because of humans decimating the population due to country decisions or wider war? Economic collapse? Lack of understanding and inability to attempt to ensure long term inhabitation of humans regarding planet earth.....rents to high?...heating costs too high?.....decent paying jobs not in yer face on a daily basis?

fiddling with seeds (not bad overall but I do think there is a limit until nature bites back!)

6 hours ago, JackieO said:

Fat is not the problem.

Carbs, sugar, preservatives and processed food shite[/b] are.

I never really understood this label of “processed food”.  

Since all food is processed it doesn’t really mean anything.  I guess people just mean you should process it yourself and not let a machine do it?! o.O

Edited by Libspero

2 hours ago, Captain Cavey said:

Remember Ski yogurt in the slightly conical pots - tasted rich and creamy unlike the chemicals in wallpaper paste crap you get these days 

Yes. It also had a very sour, distinct yoghurt taste. Yoghurt these days is bland. 

If anyone knows of a yoghurt that actually tastes of yoghurt...

1 hour ago, One percent said:

Yes. It also had a very sour, distinct yoghurt taste. Yoghurt these days is bland. 

If anyone knows of a yoghurt that actually tastes of yoghurt...

Straight up yoghurt. They do flavoured versions but I only eat the plain one (with walnuts crumbled in). Best one I have had for years.

On the homegrown seeds aspect, I have some ancient apple trees in my garden. The fruit are amazing, when they ripen they get rich veins of red through the whole fruit and are crispy and sweet and amazing. Whenever people try them they are totally amazed at the richness of flavour.

Edited by Hail the Tripod