• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

11 hours ago, One percent said:

This all makes sense. My dad grew tomatoes when I was growing up. Alisa Craig were the ones he preferred. They were gorgeous. Really tasted of something. Over the years, I have tried to recreate these, even growing the same type. To no avail.  They just don’t have the taste no matter what I try. 

Perhaps @sarahbell our resident expert can shed light?  

Its because people refrigerate them now which ruins the taste. If you're growing your own then never place them in the fridge and ideally grow outdoors they taste nicer than when grown in a green house. 

The other reason is as I've said before on here everything is getting sweeter. New f1 hybrids are very sweet and it makes the old cultivars like Ailsa Craig taste bland.  A sugar reset can help!

1 minute ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Straight up yoghurt. They do flavoured versions but I only eat the plain one (with walnuts crumbled in). Best one I have had for years.

Ta very much. I  use plain yoghurt on musli but recently it has no taste whatsoever. I’ll give this a go 

1 minute ago, spunko2010 said:

Its because people refrigerate them now which ruins the taste. If you're growing your own then never place them in the fridge and ideally grow outdoors they taste nicer than when grown in a green house. 

Even the ones I grow myself outdoors don’t have the deep taste. I’m think it is the way in which the strains have been developed. 

If you could recommend a seed seller...

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

Ta very much. I  use plain yoghurt on musli but recently it has no taste whatsoever. I’ll give this a go 

Even the ones I grow myself outdoors don’t have the deep taste. I’m think it is the way in which the strains have been developed. 

If you could recommend a seed seller...

Ailsa Craig will be the same regardless of where you get them from. You could try something like Sungold which is an F1 and therefore very sweet. But you'll only get about 8 seeds in a £3 packet...

Gardeners Delight is another decent old one. Most of the Victorian ones are the best flavour wise if you look up heirloom varieties... the problem with them is that they're more disease prone. I don't buy F1 seeds as they're a bit dodgy, kind of like a plant copyright.... Anyway I personally grow heirlooms and just risk it,  if they die they die :Jumping:

12 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Ailsa Craig will be the same regardless of where you get them from. You could try something like Sungold which is an F1 and therefore very sweet. But you'll only get about 8 seeds in a £3 packet...

Gardeners Delight is another decent old one. Most of the Victorian ones are the best flavour wise if you look up heirloom varieties... the problem with them is that they're more disease prone. I don't buy F1 seeds as they're a bit dodgy, kind of like a plant copyright.... Anyway I personally grow heirlooms and just risk it,  if they die they die :Jumping:

Ta. 

Ive tried a range of heirloom. Very variable as to taste. 

I only ever grow three to four plants so cost of seeds isn’t necessarily an issue 

I can tell you where to get the best tomato seeds in the world

If you look at the bottom left of the picture, there's a very distant river. Next to it you will find a small village. Good luck - it'll be worth it I promise.

Image result for Colca Canyon trek

2 hours ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Straight up yoghurt. They do flavoured versions but I only eat the plain one (with walnuts crumbled in). Best one I have had for years.

On the homegrown seeds aspect, I have some ancient apple trees in my garden. The fruit are amazing, when they ripen they get rich veins of red through the whole fruit and are crispy and sweet and amazing. Whenever people try them they are totally amazed at the richness of flavour.

Just got some. They didn’t have the natural but bought the raspberry. It’s natural yoghurt with a swirl of raspberry coulis dolloped on top.

it is fabulous. Just how yoghurt should be.  Tangy, not sweetened and leaving a dryness in the mouth.

Thank you.  

48 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

I can tell you where to get the best tomato seeds in the world

If you look at the bottom left of the picture, there's a very distant river. Next to it you will find a small village. Good luck - it'll be worth it I promise.

Image result for Colca Canyon trek

Are they the ones that have been deposited there through poo?  

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/humber/8239598.stm

14 hours ago, One percent said:

This all makes sense. My dad grew tomatoes when I was growing up. Alisa Craig were the ones he preferred. They were gorgeous. Really tasted of something. Over the years, I have tried to recreate these, even growing the same type. To no avail.  They just don’t have the taste no matter what I try. 

Perhaps @sarahbell our resident expert can shed light?  

Grow some sungold. (sometimes sun gold)  
In theory if they're the same variety and you get plenty of sun they'll taste really good. Some older people use lots of Epsom salts on them - which I imagine might possibly have some effect.

Sungold little cherry tomatoes are the most absolutely delicious thing on the planet. Picked and eaten from the plant in sunshine. Ahh bliss.

I don't eat tomatoes from supermarkets. Oh well occaisionally lidl do little boxes of mixed colour cherry ones. They're fine. But not like real home grown ones.

2 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

In theory if they're the same variety and you get plenty of sun they'll taste really good. Some older people use lots of Epsom salts on them - which I imagine might possibly have some effect.

Sungold little cherry tomatoes are the most absolutely delicious thing on the planet. Picked and eaten from the plant in sunshine. Ahh bliss.

I don't eat tomatoes from supermarkets. Oh well occaisionally lidl do little boxes of mixed colour cherry ones. They're fine. But not like real home grown ones.

Cheers Sarah. Will see if I can get some seeds. 

11 minutes ago, One percent said:

Are they the ones that have been deposited there through poo?  

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/humber/8239598.stm

Not as far as I know but given that tomato seeds are so resistant, who knows? :)

Weird little semi-tropical paradise next to a river full of trout stuck at the bottom of an enormous canyon in the Andes. Best tomatoes I've ever eaten, bar none. Like a lot of South American plants, unlikely to have ever been approved for growing in the UK. 

The rules and regs governing what can be grown in the UK are part of what keep the vegetables and fruits tasteless - can't have plebs getting ideas above themselves, can we? Yeah ok I concede some control has to be maintained or we'd get diseases spreading....

Like @Hail the Tripod 's garden, I grew up in a house where there were ancient apple trees, they were fantastic apples which I can never match in a shop, hardly eat apples now as they're always disappointing, nasty waxy tasteless things.  "Beauty of Bath" was one, Worcester Pearmain another and there was a Bramley cooking apple tree.

4 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Sungold are F1 though, basically genetically modified. o.O

You could try, if you're bothered about GM (which you should be!), one of the Sungold parents which is not F1, called Sunbaby.

https://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/item_1803f_tomato_cherry_sunbaby_seeds

3 hours ago, swissy_fit said:

Not as far as I know but given that tomato seeds are so resistant, who knows? :)

Weird little semi-tropical paradise next to a river full of trout stuck at the bottom of an enormous canyon in the Andes. Best tomatoes I've ever eaten, bar none. Like a lot of South American plants, unlikely to have ever been approved for growing in the UK. 

The rules and regs governing what can be grown in the UK are part of what keep the vegetables and fruits tasteless - can't have plebs getting ideas above themselves, can we? Yeah ok I concede some control has to be maintained or we'd get diseases spreading....

Like @Hail the Tripod 's garden, I grew up in a house where there were ancient apple trees, they were fantastic apples which I can never match in a shop, hardly eat apples now as they're always disappointing, nasty waxy tasteless things.  "Beauty of Bath" was one, Worcester Pearmain another and there was a Bramley cooking apple tree.

I've got Worcester Pearmain in my garden, I don't really care for the taste but a lot of other people who visit love them. I've also called Egremont Russet and Sparton - can't beat them!

Round 'ere you can get pretty much any older variety on farms that sell them by the dozen: Jonagold, Laxtons Fortune, Jazz, Pippins etc.

28 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Sungold are F1 though, basically genetically modified. o.O

You could try, if you're bothered about GM (which you should be!), one of the Sungold parents which is not F1, called Sunbaby.

https://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/item_1803f_tomato_cherry_sunbaby_seeds

I've got Worcester Pearmain in my garden, I don't really care for the taste but a lot of other people who visit love them. I've also called Egremont Russet and Sparton - can't beat them!

Round 'ere you can get pretty much any older variety on farms that sell them by the dozen: Jonagold, Laxtons Fortune, Jazz, Pippins etc.

I didn’t put the 2+2 together to work out that f1 meant it was GM. Thought they would go faster or something. 

So, is there a foolproof way to avoid GM?  

19 hours ago, swissy_fit said:

It's even better if the home-produced stuff uses varieties that are meant to taste good. I once ate at the home of someone who knew all about this. Apparently there are authorities in the U.K. that prevent anything tasty actually being sold, so it's useless buying from main plant/seed dealers, but at the time I ate at his house there was some kind of seed exchange thing(i.e. no money)  operating by post to make it legal. DYOR. Maybe it's online now?

I confirm that the tomatoes were like nothing I ever tasted in the U.K. Before or since.

BS Meter just redlined

4 hours ago, swissy_fit said:

BS Meter just blew a fuse.

What dictates the poor taste of many supermarket fruit and veg is:

Travel time / cold storage - many of the sugars turn to starch

Supermarket requirements that place appearance above taste

Economies of scale - often high yield fruits are poor comparatively to better tasting poor yield fruits

I stand to be corrected but there are no laws stating which types you can grow and which types you cant

8 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

BS Meter just blew a fuse.

What dictates the poor taste of many supermarket fruit and veg is:

Travel time / cold storage - many of the sugars turn to starch

Supermarket requirements that place appearance above taste

Economies of scale - often high yield fruits are poor comparatively to better tasting poor yield fruits

I stand to be corrected but there are no laws stating which types you can grow and which types you cant

When plants are intensively bred for certain characteristics they usually lose others. It's the reason so many cultivated flowers have no scent. The flavour in fruit and vegetables is mostly from the scent. Sweetness, sourness and bitterness is only part of the equation. 

15 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

When plants are intensively bred for certain characteristics they usually lose others. It's the reason so many cultivated flowers have no scent. The flavour in fruit and vegetables is mostly from the scent. Sweetness, sourness and bitterness is only part of the equation. 

I agree and yes there are many factors beyond what I stated as being reasons for mass produced products being tasteless. 

The BS element relates to the claim that there are regulations stopping the cultivation of better tasting varieties. 

20 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

I agree and yes there are many factors beyond what I stated as being reasons for mass produced products being tasteless. 

The BS element relates to the claim that there are regulations stopping the cultivation of better tasting varieties. 

I suspect that the reason produce is so tasteless is because consumers don't demand better or are unwilling to pay for it. You can always add sugar to everything to make it palatable. 

3 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Confess have never investigated much what I was told, which is that there is a list of approved varietals for which seeds can be sold ie for money, the chap concerned obtained others by post in exchange for things, usually other seeds he said.  It was pre-internet and he's dead now so can't follow up <20 years later. 

So you reckon if a garden centre wanted they could obtain any seed from anywhere like Peru and sell it? 

3 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

Confess have never investigated much what I was told, which is that there is a list of approved varietals for which seeds can be sold ie for money, the chap concerned obtained others by post in exchange for things, usually other seeds he said.  It was pre-internet and he's dead now so can't follow up <20 years later. 

So you reckon if a garden centre wanted they could obtain any seed from anywhere like Peru and sell it? 

Importation of seeds along with any other vegetable matter is subject to import control for the purposes of disease control. That is not some control mechanism to stop the sale of better tasting varieties. 

There are hundreds of different varieties of tomato and apple seed available. The reasons only a few are grown is that supermarkets value bulk production, uniformity and appearance over other factors. 

11 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

Some wont be legal for all manner of reasons ,invasive alien species/pathogens are the big ones ...Japaneses Knot weed is a good reason for such rules/laws

Australia and NZ are very  tough on the above

1 minute ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Importation of seeds along with any other vegetable matter is subject to import control for the purposes of disease control. That is not some control mechanism to stop the sale of better tasting varieties. 

There are hundreds of different varieties of tomato and apple seed available. The reasons only a few are grown is that supermarkets value bulk production, uniformity and appearance over other factors. 

Commercial pressures on Supermarkets and what is grown on farms are one thing, he wasn't talking about that though.

He was specifically disparaging about what seeds were available for sale and what other gardeners grew at home, he reckoned you couldn't buy seeds for what he was growing. Can't ask him now, pity, he was a grouchy old dosbodder type and would have fitted in well on here.

29 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

Some wont be legal for all manner of reasons ,invasive alien species/pathogens are the big ones ...Japaneses Knot weed is a good reason for such rules/laws

Australia and NZ are very  tough on the above

Have never thought of it before this thread but am intrigued by the idea now. There are hundreds of different food plants being grown in Peru and doubtless other countries too. Not all would grow well but some would. Can cleaned seeds carry disease? Can't really imagine a tomato or maize plant becoming the next knotweed but I guess you'd have to be careful.

1 minute ago, swissy_fit said:

Have never thought of it before this thread but am intrigued by the idea now. There are hundreds of different food plants being grown in Peru and doubtless other countries too. Not all would grow well but some would. Can cleaned seeds carry disease? Can't really imagine a tomato or maize plant becoming the next knotweed but I guess you'd have to be careful.

It’s the triffid spores that they are most concerned about 

9 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

Its the pathogens that`s the problem that are feared most ,plants from peru may have a resistance built up over time bring them here and they could wipe out a species 

20 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

Seeds can contain viruses (amongst other things) and plant viruses can have very wide species ranges - you could devastate multiple crops by introducing novel viruses from imported seeds.