• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Nasty bridge collapse in Florida

Posted (edited)

Extremely slender construction, looks like it has been developed to look good on finite element software.

Style over substance, in this case note enough of it.

It will be a young architect or civil engineer behind it.

Edited by Chewing Grass

11 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Extremely slender construction, looks like it has been developed to look good on finite element software.

Style over substance, in this case note enough of it.

It will be a young architect or civil engineer behind it.

There does not appear to enough at either end to keep it from collapsing.

I did read that it was intended to be cable supported.  If so looks like the cables were not installed yet and somebody didn't allow for the period it had to stand alone without the cables. 

While that looks sort-of like a truss design, the detail actually looks like a suspension bridge design and they've not bothered to do that bit yet.

4 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

I think the old days of making the architect stand under the bridge whilst the keystone was put in place should return.

Good idea, my dad was an aircraft designer - he went up on the tests flights.

SB -- I found this:

C_EexEBXsAAFEnD.jpg

It looks like they installed the first (closer) half of the bridge but hadn't actually done important 'holds the bridge up' bits.

Those large square sectioned web braces are completely crushed in the collapse suggesting to me that they are not what they look like but are part of the cable to come.  In other words it is not a truss bridge at all and is two slabs of reinforced concrete with no trussing between of any consequence.  Makes sense since once the cables are in place there is no need for web braces.  Looking at it like that it is a very flimsy partly constructed bridge.  Not at all surprising it collapsed.  I wouldn't be surprised if it collapsed as soon as somebody drove a construction vehicle on it. 

4 minutes ago, Battenberg said:

I can’t believe we’re a good few posts in and nobody has suggested this could be a ‘bridge of peace’.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the trump card...  

11 minutes ago, Battenberg said:

I can’t believe we’re a good few posts in and nobody has suggested this could be a ‘bridge of peace’.

Maybe because it is now a piece of bridge?

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Snow bird said:

Those large square sectioned web braces are completely crushed in the collapse suggesting to me that they are not what they look like but are part of the cable to come.  In other words it is not a truss bridge at all and is two slabs of reinforced concrete with no trussing between of any consequence.  Makes sense since once the cables are in place there is no need for web braces.  Looking at it like that it is a very flimsy partly constructed bridge.  Not at all surprising it collapsed.  I wouldn't be surprised if it collapsed as soon as somebody drove a construction vehicle on it. 

Foot bridge only and not opened I think. Either was never meant to be unsupported without suspension, calcs cocked up and it was designed to sit unloaded or manufacture defect compromised minimal margin of safety when partially built. 

Edited by onlyme

It is only half of the bridge by the look of the artist diagram. I can't see the other half nor can I see the central tower for the suspenson cables - am I missing it? Did they really stick up half of the bridge first before even putting in the central tower? Surely that is the main anchor point?