• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Reck B

NHS - envy of the world

My dad was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer last September and since then I've started a few new threads on here to ask for any dosboder information/experiences only to cancel and delete my posts at the last minute - I'm not sure why as you dosbodders are always pretty cool when it comes to family advice. I guess i didn't want to come across as 'woe is me' or anything..

Well today I'm a bit more pissed today (in both senses of the words) following a pub lunch and a call from my distessed mum and feel the need to spew forth....

A bit of background - my dad was a fit and healthy, strong-as-an-ox 71 year old, a demon skiier and 'hardy farmer' type until this time last year when he started to feel exhausted and was losing weight quite rapidly "it's good that you're losing weight" said his overpaid googler GP as she continued to carry out blood/urine tests for months until his eventual CT scan revealed the tumor which by then had reached his liver.  My dad is the first close family member to get cancer, so I'm right on google to check the prognosis and realise that pancreatic cancer is the fucker of all cancers.

Without going into a few other examples of (IMO) unbeleivable incompetence, 4 bouts of chemo later brings us up to today where his normal oncologist is replaced by some eastern european locum who announces to both my parents that due to the risk of not being able to swallow/breathe, they will not be able to provide any more chemo cycles. When questioned WTF he meant by this, he looked at his notes again and realised that my dad does not actually have Esophegus cancer and he's either got the wrong patient or cant read fucking english.

To be fair, the Macmillan nurses have been superb throughout and encouraged my parents to make a complaint, as this overpaid prick has done similar before - his GP needs to rethink her career too if

I'm a pragmatist, I know we all die at some point, but fuck me have they made a mess of my dad's care.

Cunts.

Edited by Reck B

Sorry for what you are going through. Been through similar, different condition but similar, and it hurts.  

Fwiw, if you are going to Complain, I would consider waiting until after the event; you have more than enough to deal with. 

If it helps, make copious notes that can be referred to at a later date. 

Above all else look after and be good to yourself and mum. 

The NHS scores great on the 'access to a heathcare system'.

Thats the stats the NHS booster keep going on about.

However NHS outcomes are terrible - almost 3rd world.

If they change the heath system metrics to give a higher weight to 'timely access and outcomes' then the NHS is fucked.

Im serious about this.

Getting diagnosed for everyday illnesses, the stuff youd expect to deal with all the time, is hit and miss.

This is mainly down to the size ofte NHS and not many people being fired for being shit.

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Sorry for what you are going through. Been through similar, different condition but similar, and it hurts.  

Fwiw, if you are going to Complain, I would consider waiting until after the event; you have more than enough to deal with. 

If it helps, make copious notes that can be referred to at a later date. 

Above all else look after and be good to yourself and mum. 

Yeh, I've got a list of stuff logged down and me and mum decided now is not the time to look at complaining.

Just out of interest, do you know if we would be allowed to get hold of all his medical records?

1 minute ago, spygirl said:

The NHS scores great on the 'access to a heathcare system'.

Thats the stats the NHS booster keep going on about.

However NHS outcomes are terrible - almost 3rd world.

If they change the heath system metrics to give a higher weight to 'timely access and outcomes' then the NHS is fucked.

Im serious about this.

Getting diagnosed for everyday illnesses, the stuff youd expect to deal with all the time, is hit and miss.

This is mainly down to the size ofte NHS and not many people being fired for being shit.

In my experience it really is hit or miss when in my opinion, it needs to be either "fucking amazing" or not exist at all so something that could be amazing can take it's place.

Addenbrookes were very good with my Mum. She got Bowel cancer in early 2008 and died in late 2016. She had at least 3 rounds of chemo and 2 surgeries. They looked into radio ablation after it went onto her liver and also a clinical trial but by then she was too weak. 

My Dad is still in a grave state of bereavement and blames himself that he didn't push harder for her to do the trial. I have told him its only likely it would have made a few weeks / months of life by which point had little or no quality at all. 

As regards complaining thats a long drawn out process - the investigators have to be satisfied that the GP / other medical staff made a decision that was outside the range of normal responses expected. A wrong decision is not necessarily an incompetent one. 

6 minutes ago, Reck B said:

Yeh, I've got a list of stuff logged down and me and mum decided now is not the time to look at complaining.

Just out of interest, do you know if we would be allowed to get hold of all his medical records?

Have not a clue but the cynic that I am, I would imagine anything damaging in there would be shredded toot sweet.  

13 minutes ago, Reck B said:

I don't see why not. We recently asked the doctor for my son's.

Cost us £10 (I think they charge more if they are very big). Had to be paid in cash o.O

If this was the So-Called BBC I would be chipping in with my marvellous experience, though I hardly go there so don't have much, but the husband of a family friend died on the operating table through incompetence and a friend list both his parents in a year again through incompetence.

In both cases they were too upset to go through with sueing the NHS. I hope if that ever affects me I would be so searingly angry that I would go through with it. I hope you do @Reck B.

I’m sorry that your dad is ill and that the NHS has let your family down. Unfortunately one of many IMO.

You can get your father’s medical records. We got our late mother’s records after her death because of appalling treatment and misdiagnosis, in our opinion. An official complaint was made but we never got anywhere. Meetings with top regional health bods just made us angry because of them patronising us and making excuses.

46 minutes ago, One percent said:

if you are going to Complain, I would consider waiting until after the event; you have more than enough to deal with. 

I work in the NHS sadly for the best care for your family you have to create a stink.

Do not passive and do use litigious language.

Due to horrible mismanagement since the Blair years it's true the NHS is in a state.

1 hour ago, Reck B said:

My dad was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer last September and since then I've started a few new threads on here to ask for any dosboder information/experiences only to cancel and delete my posts at the last minute - I'm not sure why as you dosbodders are always pretty cool when it comes to family advice. I guess i didn't want to come across as 'woe is me' or anything..

Well today I'm a bit more pissed today (in both senses of the words) following a pub lunch and a call from my distessed mum and feel the need to spew forth....

A bit of background - my dad was a fit and healthy, strong-as-an-ox 71 year old, a demon skiier and 'hardy farmer' type until this time last year when he started to feel exhausted and was losing weight quite rapidly "it's good that you're losing weight" said his overpaid googler GP as she continued to carry out blood/urine tests for months until his eventual CT scan revealed the tumor which by then had reached his liver.  My dad is the first close family member to get cancer, so I'm right on google to check the prognosis and realise that pancreatic cancer is the fucker of all cancers.

Without going into a few other examples of (IMO) unbeleivable incompetence, 4 bouts of chemo later brings us up to today where his normal oncologist is replaced by some eastern european locum who announces to both my parents that due to the risk of not being able to swallow/breathe, they will not be able to provide any more chemo cycles. When questioned WTF he meant by this, he looked at his notes again and realised that my dad does not actually have Esophegus cancer and he's either got the wrong patient or cant read fucking english.

To be fair, the Macmillan nurses have been superb throughout and encouraged my parents to make a complaint, as this overpaid prick has done similar before - his GP needs to rethink her career too if

I'm a pragmatist, I know we all die at some point, but fuck me have they made a mess of my dad's care.

Cunts.

\You realy have to make a formal compliant about that as it`s a serious error 

I had a similar experience concerning a minor ailment (welding splatter on my eye)  and a Turkish doctor basically  butchered my eye yet he still failed to remove the metal ...when i returned the next day in agony the doctor i saw took one look at the notes and went to get a complaints form his words were please fill it out otherwise we will never get rid of him (they already had multiple complaints)

I suppose what im saying is there are incompetent people working in the NHS and they know it but it`s hard to get shot of them 

Hope all goes well 

Edited by Long time lurking

I know it’s going to sound harsh, Reck, and I don’t mean it to, but I’m afraid pancreatic cancer is pretty much game over, no matter how soon you diagnose it, where you are in the world or how good your health care.

That’s not to excuse anything, but being realistic...   nothing was ever going to make much difference to the outcome.

Edited by Melchett

1 hour ago, Reck B said:

If it's the hospital notes they require then it's a Patient Access Request. The hospital Trust I work for charge £10 for copies of notes. The person who i work with needs to get permission from the Consultant treating the patient before allowing access. Our patients' medical notes cannot leave the hospital premises and I would guess other trusts operate similarly.

If your parents wait until May when the Information Governance law changes then they can get them for free.

1 hour ago, Economic Exile said:

You can get your father’s medical records. We got our late mother’s records after her death because of appalling treatment and misdiagnosis, in our opinion.

How long did you have to wait to get your late mother's records, EE? For patients that have passed on, we cannot release them to the next of kin until eight years after their death.

1 hour ago, JackieO said:

I work in the NHS sadly for the best care for your family you have to create a stink.

Due to horrible mismanagement since the Blair years it's true the NHS is in a state.

My neighbour is a coroner, she makes a point of mentioning this whenever her family require medical treatment. She is not a fan of the NHS.

5 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

How long did you have to wait to get your late mother's records, EE? For patients that have passed on, we cannot release them to the next of kin until eight years after their death.

It wasn’t long at all. Very soon after her death. Perhaps not hospital records though....her GP health records. We did engage solicitors who    were able to get reports from consultants etc.

It’s almost eight years since she died. One of my sisters, an ex sister grade nurse, is still battling about the appalling nhs treatment my late mother endured.

Overall I don’t get on with my sister but I do admire her resilience in battling against the system. Like she says, if people don’t complain nothing will change!

1 hour ago, JackieO said:

When my sister was ill, my dad realised that it was literally those who shouted loudest who got the quickest attention. And it took the fuckers four months from diagnosis before they started treatment. 

5 minutes ago, mooncat69 said:

When my sister was ill, my dad realised that it was literally those who shouted loudest who got the quickest attention. And it took the fuckers four months from diagnosis before they started treatment. 

I wonder how many MP’s wait four months to access treatment after diagnosis? None is the answer IMO. Twats!

Just now, Economic Exile said:

I wonder how many MP’s wait four months to access treatment after diagnosis? None is the answer IMO. Twats!

Strangely enough, we're quite bitter about it.

Very sorry that you're going through this.

I think more and more people are going to get desperate and bypass the NHS, even if they need to get into massive debt to do so. So we'll have the facade of a 'free health service', but if you actually want an acceptable standard of care in an acceptable time, you'll have to go private.

I've found GP's in particular to be completely fucking useless. Offensively so.

2 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

I don't see why not. We recently asked the doctor for my son's.

Cost us £10 (I think they charge more if they are very big). Had to be paid in cash o.O

Are Woking council taking a cut? Cost me £2 (assuming it's Navy son). Still had to have jabs for everything (except anthrax). To show that the forces medical care is no better (well, the administration), they gave me a print out of someone else's records when I left. 

So sorry to hear of you situation.

I think that NHS has reached a position where consultant contact has begun to be affected by the problems we have already seen in other aspects of the NHS. There are still a few dedicated and amazingly competent and professional but they are now diluted by less competent, by locums and cover often from abroad who are simply in it for the money and by disillusioned who have been forced to watch as their other competent colleagues leave for abroad. This was already endemic in nursing and physiotherapy (as I saw with my mother)and other aspects of the NHS. I saw it begin in consultants with my father from 2015. He was killed by hospital transport refusing to take him to cancer appointments because his leg stuck out of his wheelchair because of arthritis. I cannot forgive myself for watching this happen and not doing more, although I complained very time. As I say the effect is wide ranging.

2 hours ago, Reck B said:

In my experience it really is hit or miss when in my opinion, it needs to be either "fucking amazing" or not exist at all so something that could be amazing can take it's place.

Id settle for dull and competant. But its not.