• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Happy Renting

Hold the Front Page

This is why they constantly fill it with all sorts of made up shit about Trump’s election and Russian hackers, politician and celeb soap operas etc. Because otherwise it would be so unrelentingly dull everyone would tune out.

9 hours ago, Panther said:

How many lawnmowers lost their lives?

Still, look on the bright side - there's no need to mow the back garden any more. Gives people plenty of time to reflect that buying a house next to an eroding cliff-edge probably wasn't the smartest of ideas.

6 hours ago, DTMark said:

Still, look on the bright side - there's no need to mow the back garden any more. Gives people plenty of time to reflect that buying a house next to an eroding cliff-edge probably wasn't the smartest of ideas.

You'd like to think it was a gamble and they bought ultra-cheap in the expectation that a retirement place would see them out. Likely the purchase was not ultra cheap and the expectation is that if insurance doesn't cover the loss then taxpayer money will be found.

2 minutes ago, onlyme said:

You'd like to think it was a gamble and they bought ultra-cheap in the expectation that a retirement place would see them out. Likely the purchase was not ultra cheap and the expectation is that if insurance doesn't cover the loss then taxpayer money will be found.

Chap interviewed on the radio said he'd only been living there two years so you hope he paid the equivalent of two to three years' rent to buy.

I've not seen it mentioned this time but I'm sure I've read that Norfolk CC will give planning permission to rebuild for anyone who loses their home to the sea as long as it's on a plot in a reasonable location.

So even when the house had gone over the cliff it still had value in this planning permission attaching.

9 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Chap interviewed on the radio said he'd only been living there two years so you hope he paid the equivalent of two to three years' rent to buy.

I've not seen it mentioned this time but I'm sure I've read that Norfolk CC will give planning permission to rebuild for anyone who loses their home to the sea as long as it's on a plot in a reasonable location.

So even when the house had gone over the cliff it still had value in this planning permission attaching.

Well there's a plan, I spent the best part of half a decade looking for a half decently priced building plot and failed. You are absolutely correct the residual value automatically increased by cost of equivalent building plot, to pay that game though you'd want to read the caveats carefully. Show how arbitrary the whole planning rules are when they can be taxed at the swish of a pen.

2 hours ago, onlyme said:

I don't have any sympathy for people in these houses. If they did not take coastal erosion into account in the price they paid for their property, they should have been wiser.

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

How does that differ from any other planning permission requirements?

1 minute ago, Happy Renting said:

I don't have any sympathy for people in these houses. If they did not take coastal erosion into account in the price they paid for their property, they should have been wiser.

How does that differ from any other planning permission requirements?

It's transferrable and there is a presumption that it will be allowed.

If I bought a field and wanted to build a house in it the presumption is that it would be turned down.

5 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

It's transferrable and there is a presumption that it will be allowed.

If I bought a field and wanted to build a house in it the presumption is that it would be turned down.

Can be the only way it would work as an incentive/payback - the right to convert the status of non building land to building land, otherwise you would just be in the open market for whatever paucity of building plots existed already.