• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Byron

Ignorant lefty students

It was like that in my student days.  I used to do rowing, some of the lazier students took the train down to London every other weekend to join whichever protest was going to Trafalgar Square that Saturday.

It was protesting as a hobby; rather than being particularly thick I think she's absolutely typical of the protestors than and now.  It is the protesting activity that they enjoy; like a social walking group for students with some community singing.  It gets them out of the house and with their mates and they don't really care about the issues unless it directly affects them: student loans, tuition fees. 

Hollie got a load of stick but really what she wanted to do was dress up, wave something, and get on the telly.  That's what most of them are like.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

Hollie got a load of stick but really what she wanted to do was dress up, wave something, and get on the telly.  That's what most of them are like.

In the meantime, another sub-set of the group are, I suspect, growing up in a social media environment where people can be readily categorised not by their ideas but largely by their personalities into "nice people" and "nasty people". It's "just one click".

Social media isn't about debate. You only learn from it when you explore the people behind the little round avatar icons and thoroughly understand the underlying issues and their interconnection with everything else. That is not, I suggest, what is happening. It's much more like "joining a club". The righteous one, of course. And signalling that membership to others.

The "nasty people" will always be the ones who aren't far left. Hence, "campaign against Tommy Robinson" and not "campaign against (insert topical issue here)".

This comes into sharp relief back in the real world (at university) when the shocker reveals itself that the real world doesn't actually work like this. Bring on the counselling.

13 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

It was like that in my student days.  I used to do rowing, some of the lazier students took the train down to London every other weekend to join whichever protest was going to Trafalgar Square that Saturday.

It was protesting as a hobby; rather than being particularly thick I think she's absolutely typical of the protestors than and now.  It is the protesting activity that they enjoy; like a social walking group for students with some community singing.  It gets them out of the house and with their mates and they don't really care about the issues unless it directly affects them: student loans, tuition fees. 

She could have gone on Babe Station.

1 minute ago, BLOOLOO said:

Why are we listening to children.   Children see it is wrong for a person to be starving.  lets help them they cry.

Children see another child killed by a bomb.  lets stop the hate they cry.

thats as far as children get.

Thats where the lefties are at.  being children.

I don't think we are listening to them.  Laughing at them maybe.

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

I don't think we are listening to them.  Laughing at them maybe.

I disagree....censorship on the social media is driven by this childlike mentality.   PC culture is a childlike driver too.   no discussion as feelings are hurt.

Just now, BLOOLOO said:

Why are we listening to children.   Children see it is wrong for a person to be starving.  lets help them they cry.

Children see another child killed by a bomb.  lets stop the hate they cry.

thats as far as children get.

Thats where the lefties are at.  being children.

Couldn't agree more.

For years, we - as a country - have spoken repeatedly of how it would be nice to get younger people involved in politics.

Social media has been an enabler.

However, if you then couple that with the lacklustre, lazy style of interviewing that we have these days, where responses are allowed to go without further question and cross-examination, such people do not have to adequately explain themselves or their views. They learn little, and people don't take them seriously (step forward Owen Jones and "disciples").

Yet they remain like one of those little yappy dogs that's always making a noise for no reason and won't shut up.

2 minutes ago, Byron said:
  • People that I knew who went on the Aldermaston marches only went in the hope of getting some sex.

cant get even that now...too much soy in the boys

4 minutes ago, Byron said:
  • People that I knew who went on the Aldermaston marches only went in the hope of getting some sex.

This is superbly depicted in the TV series Ashes To Ashes, when alpha male Raymondo gets off with one of the Greenham Common types.

13 minutes ago, DTMark said:

In the meantime, another sub-set of the group are, I suspect, growing up in a social media environment where people can be readily categorised not by their ideas but largely by their personalities into "nice people" and "nasty people". It's "just one click".

Social media isn't about debate. You only learn from it when you explore the people behind the little round avatar icons and thoroughly understand the underlying issues and their interconnection with everything else. That is not, I suggest, what is happening. It's much more like "joining a club". The righteous one, of course. And signalling that membership to others.

The "nasty people" will always be the ones who aren't far left. Hence, "campaign against Tommy Robinson" and not "campaign against (insert topical issue here)".

This comes into sharp relief back in the real world (at university) when the shocker reveals itself that the real world doesn't actually work like this. Bring on the counselling.

I think it is likely that there is going to be a very large split in social media / web presence in the next 2 to 5 years. The rift between views is so great now which, combined with the push to de-platform a significant proportion of views  will force the adoption of alternative platforms.

34 minutes ago, Byron said:

I love the solitary bullet point, to make the sentence stand out from the rest of your post. :D

3 hours ago, Happy Renting said:

I love the solitary bullet point, to make the sentence stand out from the rest of your post. :D

Is that what it is?

It just came there and I couldn't get rid of it.

Ta.

5 hours ago, onlyme said:

I think it is likely that there is going to be a very large split in social media / web presence in the next 2 to 5 years. The rift between views is so great now which, combined with the push to de-platform a significant proportion of views  will force the adoption of alternative platforms.

It depends of course on whether alternative platforms can survive when almost everything is controlled by Google, Facebook and other inherently SJW/leftist corporations. 

I can see the internet dividing globally into four or five super-presences, perhaps only one of which will be what we consider conservative or libertarian. 

The act of protesting is far more important than the cause. It has always been so as long as I can remember. These protests are not about votes for women (and others), nor is it a Jarrow march.O.o

What is dispiriting about the young now is that they seldom seem to demonstrate against the government, big business or the status quo even in token ways. Instead they turn up to protest about a single non conformist like Tommy Robinson who regardless of whether you agree with him or not at least has the balls to make a stand. The overwhelming impression is that of people who buy the corporate, state and MSM propaganda unquestioningly. It always seems to be more Burn The Witch rather than Fight The Power. Fucking sad really.

Edited by Virgil Caine

28 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

What is dispiriting about the young now is that they seldom seem to demonstrate against the government, big business or the status quo even in token ways. Instead they turn up to protest about a single non conformist like Tommy Robinson who regardless of whether you agree with him or not at least has the balls to make a stand. The overwhelming impression is that of people who buy the corporate, state and MSM propaganda unquestioningly. It always seems to be more Burn The Witch rather than Fight The Power. Fucking sad really.

There was a good column on this in the Sunday Telegraph a couple of weeks ago, I forgot the name but she was quite a young woman with a Jewish name. She pointed out that young people no longer have much coherent political ideology and aren't capable of addressing larger, cross-party concepts like freedom of speech, they just lurch from one hysterically over-inflated SJW non-issue Twitter spat to the next. 

21 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

Those young people who object to the status quo, are forced to keep quiet or accept being ostracised and worse.

Most of the adults with whom they are forced to interact and on whom they are dependant for their future (teachers and lecturers) are vindictive raving lefties.

Many young people absolutely do not accept the propaganda, but realise the personal danger they attract by expressing their views in public.

They're just kids who don't know fuck all in the general scheme of things.

Wind back 30 years and it was just the same.

The only difference now is that technology is giving them a platform to espouse shite, encourage others and be ridiculed in equal measure.

God bless YouTube

Born older than their parents

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/youth-today-boring-polite-and-very-fearful/15807#.WrAfj8inw4M

I know it is inevitable that people become more conformist as they age due to responsibilities, the needs of a family and economic pressures but not when you are 18.

You are supposed to have things to regret and repent on your death bed.

Edited by Virgil Caine

1 hour ago, BigV said:

They're just kids who don't know fuck all in the general scheme of things.

Wind back 30 years and it was just the same.

The only difference now is that technology is giving them a platform to espouse shite, encourage others and be ridiculed in equal measure.

God bless YouTube

Yep , but i think the wake up call will be that much louder when it comes  it will be interesting to see what the reaction will be ,my guess is it will either be embarrassment followed by depression/desperation  or down right angry but one thing i`m sure of is they will do thre best to stop their offspring making the same mistake