• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Someone at the top of their game

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5517645/SAS-sniper-kills-senior-ISIS-fighter-one-million-shot.html

we may or may not agree with the reasons and outcome, but this is skill in anyone’s book

An SAS sniper has killed a senior ISIS fighter with a 'one in a million' night-time shot from a mile away, it has been claimed.

The marksman is said to have killed the terrorist with a 'head shot' close to the Syrian border having been given a window of just 15 seconds.

He is understood to be a sergeant with the SAS G-Squadron and a veteran of operations in both Iraq and Afghanistan, where he is understood to have recorded as many as 100 kills.

The SAS team had hoped that the ISIS commander would arrive during the day because a night shot was regarded as too dangerous,' the source said.

'But as evening approached the team realised that they were going to have to either abort or go for a night shot. The sniper said he wanted to take the shot and was given a "go order".'

The sniper had 15 seconds to take his shot as the extremist pulled up in a car. The source said the extremist was killed instantly after being shot in the back of the head.

Great shot!

The psychological effects will be far more extensive upon his associates, the knowledge that a hidden sniper can identify you and kill you from a mile away is going to have a corrosive effect upon your mental state.  Volunteers to take over from the dead terrorist take one step forward.

I guess it's good if the story is exactly as presented (it is the DM) but I'd like to know :-

1. How the hell at a distance of a mile you can be sure you've got the right person.

2. How rifles of this level of power and accuracy can be kept out of the hands of the wrong people. (Bad guys can develop shooting skills as well)

I’d wager with 100 kills to his name this sniper has missed a few 1mile  shots before, of course we won’t get to hear of those.

BREAKING NEWS: SAS sniper shoots ISIS insurgent from 1mile+ and misses. 

Probabilty and luck plays a large part in head shots like this. Barely perceivable defects in the round would be enough to send it on or off target over that sort of range, accounting for the wind that’ll no doubt change in strength or direction during the flight of the projectile will also be the difference between a hit or miss. The target himself will no doubt have shuffled around in the few seconds between the sniper pulling the trigger and the insurgent receiving the package.

When I was in the Middle East we had bullets fall in our vicinity and without knowing where they came from you’d just shrug your shoulders and carry on but maybe finish what you were doing and move out of the area. I’d expect in those situations the targets would be just as apathetic unless they had an inkling where the attackers were to mount a counter attack. At a mile+ they wouldn’t have a clue and the sniper would melt away into the background.

9 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

I’d wager with 100 kills to his name this sniper has missed a few 1mile  shots before, of course we won’t get to hear of those.

BREAKING NEWS: SAS sniper shoots ISIS insurgent from 1mile+ and misses. 

Probabilty and luck plays a large part in head shots like this. Barely perceivable defects in the round would be enough to send it on or off target over that sort of range, accounting for the wind that’ll no doubt change in strength or direction during the flight of the projectile will also be the difference between a hit or miss. The target himself will no doubt have shuffled around in the few seconds between the sniper pulling the trigger and the insurgent receiving the package.

When I was in the Middle East we had bullets fall in our vicinity and without knowing where they came from you’d just shrug your shoulders and carry on but maybe finish what you were doing and move out of the area. I’d expect in those situations the targets would be just as apathetic unless they had an inkling where the attackers were to mount a counter attack. At a mile+ they wouldn’t have a clue and the sniper would melt away into the background.

Wouldn't a guy like that be using specially made rounds designed/manufactured as far as possible to be flawless?

Another thing I don't understand is why after the first shot is on it's way they don't  loose off a burst on automatic. Or perhaps they do.

Great effort.

Have you seen the shells those things fire, .50 cal ... like a fucking artillery shell.

Can you imagine the mess left inside that car. His head must have exploded like a water-melon.

Alan Snackbar!

10 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

Wouldn't a guy like that be using specially made rounds designed/manufactured as far as possible to be flawless?

Another thing I don't understand is why after the first shot is on it's way they don't  loose off a burst on automatic. Or perhaps they do.

Greater effective range of sniper rifle, plus the spray you'd get with automatic fire at that range the rounds would be all over the place so very unlikely to hit target and more likely to hit any passers by / unintended targets. Plus you'd compromise your  position if you wanted to stay stealthy.

Edited by onlyme

9 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

One word echolocation a burst of semi-auto would pin point the snipers nest. 

Flawless rounds maybe but they have to be sent down the barrel of a gun that’ll leave it's own signature markings. 

1 hour ago, longtomsilver said:

One word echolocation a burst of semi-auto would pin point the snipers nest. 

Flawless rounds maybe but they have to be sent down the barrel of a gun that’ll leave it's own signature markings. 

When you posted that you had me looking in Google for some fancy device actually designed to do this and wondering how Isis would have one, but didn't find one so I guess you mean human echolocation skills?

I wonder whether it might be possible to make such a thing, thinking about it.

7 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

When you posted that you had me looking in Google for some fancy device actually designed to do this and wondering how Isis would have one, but didn't find one so I guess you mean human echolocation skills?

I wonder whether it might be possible to make such a thing, thinking about it.

Not just possible almost definitely done. Same idea as audio location - artificially modifying a sound to make it appear it comes from a certain location - think dolby on steroids. The ear has very defined sound amplitude characteristics thanks to ear shape and also frequency sensitivity depending on the direction of the sound relative to the ear, combine all those features together with two ears and you have quite remarkable skills to locate the direction of a sound. This works primarily at higher frequencies, a low frequency thud is very much more difficult to resolve.

If this is physically possible, could you not build a robot that does as good if not better job, i.e. human configured but no unexpected movement.

In fact I imagine you could build such a thing quite cheaply. Which is a scary thought is it not. Heck you could have loads of remote one's set up on high vantage points and be controlling them from a hidden location.

I'm actually surprised one of these mass murdering nutjobs hasn't built a simple robot to do the job, i.e. a big gun or couple of guns on a set of wheels.

4 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

And a large dollop of luck. I have shot the 1 mile range at Bisley in a competition, and you cannot reliably hit a head sized target at that range. I never saw anyone who could hit a 1 meter diameter circle every time at that range, and that was a national competition. I'm fairly confident even if you fixed the rifle in concrete and fired 10 perfectly identical shots, the grouping would be wider than a man's head. Tiny variations in the bullet and the air accumulate over a 1 mile trajectory. You have to have serious skill to bring the odds of a hit down from truly astronomical, so hats off to him.  

Reminds me of a personal story. I went to Prague on a stag do and we ended up going to a shooting range as one of the activities. It was run by some Czech former special forces guys. Everyone else was struggling to hit the targets with the handguns but, having done a lot of shooting competitions in CCF, it was pretty easy for me. As a bit of show off, I decided to do it executioner style and shot the targets 2 in the heart, 1 between the eyes each time (quite quickly). "You were in army?" one of the instructors enquired. I looked evasive and said "Not exactly", as admitting it was schoolboy cadets seemed a bit uncool after a fortuitously impressive display. The instructors just nodded knowingly at my reticence and dropped the subject....   but gave me loads of free drinks in the bar afterwards. I assume they thought I was also ex special forces and not allowed to talk about it or somesuch.  

Class story. xD

👍👍👍👍

Not at all sure about these types of story they seem to come round quite regularly like they're straight out of the DM's random story generator.

Hard to say if anything really has happened or if it's just some made up wibble to remind everyone how our brave boys are fighting the good fight against whatever bogeyman of the day and the epic sniper shot is just a hook for the story.

34 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

If this is physically possible, could you not build a robot that does as good if not better job, i.e. human configured but no unexpected movement.

In fact I imagine you could build such a thing quite cheaply. Which is a scary thought is it not. Heck you could have loads of remote one's set up on high vantage points and be controlling them from a hidden location.

I'm actually surprised one of these mass murdering nutjobs hasn't built a simple robot to do the job, i.e. a big gun or couple of guns on a set of wheels.

Yes to all, except it wouldn't end up cheap built to military spec.

17 minutes ago, One percent said:

Class story. xD

👍👍👍👍

I've got a belter. We were at some range in the TA for rifle practice. This was back in pre PC days. They got folk to run you to the other end to put up the red flags. Sargent was a bit of a character - aren't they all - and decided to choose a wee Asian bloke (Chinese background I think) 

They had a big speaker system set up for warnings etc. He proceeded to use the microphone to shout the entire time this poor bloke was running back at us from putting up the flags 600 yards away

"There's gooks in the trenches - fire ! Fire !"

Hilarious. We'll probably not for him. Probably shat himself. :Jumping:

He took it well though. These days the sargeant would probably be arrested. 

23 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

And a large dollop of luck. I have shot the 1 mile range at Bisley in a competition, and you cannot reliably hit a head sized target at that range. I never saw anyone who could hit a 1 meter diameter circle every time at that range, and that was a national competition. I'm fairly confident even if you fixed the rifle in concrete and fired 10 perfectly identical shots, the grouping would be wider than a man's head. Tiny variations in the bullet and the air accumulate over a 1 mile trajectory. You have to have serious skill to bring the odds of a hit down from truly astronomical, so hats off to him.  

Reminds me of a personal story. I went to Prague on a stag do and we ended up going to a shooting range as one of the activities. It was run by some Czech former special forces guys. Everyone else was struggling to hit the targets with the handguns but, having done a lot of shooting competitions in CCF, it was pretty easy for me. As a bit of show off, I decided to do it executioner style and shot the targets 2 in the heart, 1 between the eyes each time (quite quickly). "You were in army?" one of the instructors enquired. I looked evasive and said "Not exactly", as admitting it was schoolboy cadets seemed a bit uncool after a fortuitously impressive display. The instructors just nodded knowingly at my reticence and dropped the subject....   but gave me loads of free drinks in the bar afterwards. I assume they thought I was also ex special forces and not allowed to talk about it or somesuch.  

That's fucking class.

21 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

How much of a difference would using one of these things make? (I'm assuming the SAS sniper would have been, and that you weren't using one at Bisley as they cost 23k) 

I have never shot further than 300m, at that range prone I found it pretty easy even with a grunt's rifle and open sights but any further and even at that age (was 19) I wouldn't have been able to see a target let alone hit it,I guess that's what the fancy scope is for but even so.

Image result for L115A3

A mile is nuts. No matter what equipment you have. 

As others have said - even the slightest hint of a breeze would make a big difference over that distance.

7 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

How much of a difference would using one of these things make? (I'm assuming the SAS sniper would have been, and that you weren't using one at Bisley as they cost 23k) 

I have never shot further than 300m, at that range prone I found it pretty easy even with a grunt's rifle and open sights but any further and even at that age (was 19) I wouldn't have been able to see a target let alone hit it,I guess that's what the fancy scope is for but even so.

Image result for L115A3

That would help sure. But adversely, no test shots, likely significant convection currents (hot day, cold nights) unpredictable cross breezes, moving target.

21 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

Decent scope takes care of  seeing the target no problem and provides the additional markers necessary to take care of windage/holdover compensation. The skill then is judging distances / wind and technique - breathing and consistency in firmness in holding rifle and trigger pull without flinching etc.

1st Time Shooter-6.5 Swede-500yds-vs Golf Ball

14 minutes ago, XswampyX said:

Two and a half miles! 

If you look at the dust coming off the truck you can see there was actually quite a bit of breeze. The bullet was well subsonic by the time it hit as you could hear the crack well before the impact and the muzzle velocity would be very high from that beast of a rifle and cartridge. Nice shooting!