• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

cancer and microplastics

If microplastics can cross the placenta then they're pretty much everywhere and no one is safe. If they cause cancer then we're doomed as a species. 

Do fat people have proportionally more microplastic, thus making them more at risk of cancer?
Do older people who have accumulated more microplastics have more risk of cancer?

This is how the world will end, not with a bang, but a whimper. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, swissy_fit said:

What's the context to the post?

There was a news item the other day about microplastics being more abundant than previously thought, most probably in the food chain (not just fish).

I can see it becoming a massive story / health scare

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has announced a review into the potential risks of plastic in drinking water after a new analysis of some of the world’s most popular bottled water brands found that more than 90% contained tiny pieces of plastic. A previous study also found high levels of microplastics in tap water.

Edited by BigV

Posted (edited)

Water seems to be a real Hobson's choice thing where it's chemicals like phthalates leeching from plastic in bottled water or a cocktail of diluted antidepressants and contraceptive pills in tap water.  

Edited by SNACR

5 hours ago, swissy_fit said:

Some would survive. What's the context to the post? I've been whingeing about plastic bottles and containers for years, have always believed everything should be sold in standardized glass containers with different wash-off labels, and that's only a part of the plastics story.

There's a lot of talk about reducing waste, but very little is done about it. I now have 3 different wheelie bins.O.o

It will be interesting to see where the science takes us..  I expect there are plenty of people working to discover all sorts of possible links to cancer and health problems as we speak.

My gut feeling is that it is probably not something to be massively concerned about. I’m sure we eat little bits of plastic every day,  but equally most of it probably goes straight through undigested.

Micro plastics accumulating in the lungs might be more concerning..  but even these may get flushed out when we cough up flem etc.   

The fact that plastic is generally so inert is probably a good thing if it is finding its way inside our bodies.

4 hours ago, Libspero said:

It will be interesting to see where the science takes us..  I expect there are plenty of people working to discover all sorts of possible links to cancer and health problems as we speak.

My gut feeling is that it is probably not something to be massively concerned about. I’m sure we eat little bits of plastic every day,  but equally most of it probably goes straight through undigested.

Micro plastics accumulating in the lungs might be more concerning..  but even these may get flushed out when we cough up flem etc.   

The fact that plastic is generally so inert is probably a good thing if it is finding its way inside our bodies.

Maybe they'll run a study and find out it's all acceptable, allowing them to ramp up the use of carbon fibre nanotubes in stuff, before sustaining massive legal costs from subsequent court cases?

The ultimate material is glass, in terms of not affecting the flavour. A coke from a glass bottle is vastly superior to a Coke from a plastic bottle, which in turn is vastly superior to Coke from a can. Incidentally does anyone else find the taste of metal really offputting? Even things like tinned chickpeas have a metally taste to them.

Anyway, if cooking with aluminium pans causes cancer why isn't anyone bothered about foods cooked inside aluminium cans.

5 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

The ultimate material is glass, in terms of not affecting the flavour. A coke from a glass bottle is vastly superior to a Coke from a plastic bottle, which in turn is vastly superior to Coke from a can. Incidentally does anyone else find the taste of metal really offputting?

Yes. I won't drink tinned beer. Don't know whether it's the canning process or the can itself but to me it tastes tainted.

1 minute ago, InLikeFlynn said:

Yes. I won't drink tinned beer. Don't know whether it's the canning process or the can itself but to me it tastes tainted.

It's a ball ache trying to find bottled Guinness on a Friday night and I always forgot to order it in beforehand.

4 minutes ago, InLikeFlynn said:

Stop sucking the tin!

4 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

It's a ball ache trying to find bottled Guinness on a Friday night and I always forgot to order it in beforehand.

Order a lorry load. 

6 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

The ultimate material is glass, in terms of not affecting the flavour. A coke from a glass bottle is vastly superior to a Coke from a plastic bottle, which in turn is vastly superior to Coke from a can. Incidentally does anyone else find the taste of metal really offputting? Even things like tinned chickpeas have a metally taste to them.

Anyway, if cooking with aluminium pans causes cancer why isn't anyone bothered about foods cooked inside aluminium cans.

+1000 Everything should be sold in glass.

Create 30-40 different standard glass containers for the UK, all labels to be of a type that can be washed off. Everything sold in the UK to be sold in one or more of these containers. No arguments, if you want to sell in the UK market, you sell in these containers. Every product has 10p added to the price for the container (more for big containers), this can be recovered when you bring it to the washing/recycling centre or the shop.

Should dovetail nicely with the switch to electric transport. 

Just now, swissy_fit said:

+1000 Everything should be sold in glass.

Create 30-40 different standard glass containers for the UK, all labels to be of a type that can be washed off. Everything sold in the UK to be sold in one or more of these containers. No arguments, if you want to sell in the UK market, you sell in these containers. Every product has 10p added to the price for the container (more for big containers), this can be recovered when you bring it to the washing/recycling centre or the shop.

Should dovetail nicely with the switch to electric transport. 

be a few more jobs delivering them to people's doors?