• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

The last male northern White rhino dies

Great shame.  Two females left so they're talking about IVF but what's the point if they're just going to live in cages?

In Europe most of our mega fauna were wiped out by the early middle ages; the aurochs (three times the size of a modern cow), bears, even wolves and beavers.

Whereas with Africa even into this century we see a world as it was with massive animals roaming free, and we are letting their environments be wiped out meaning that they have no future.

There's no way back from that, a few DNA samples in a lab is no consolation for the loss of a wild living Rhino.

Good old population growth, the root of all evil.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-43468066

Too many humans. Not enough whales and elephants.

I watched a video last week of an elephant stuck in a mud hole. Some locals went and found some kind of JCB - not an easy task in that part of, IIRC, India. They pushed the elephant up out of the hole by its bum. It then went around to the cab of the JCB and looked in as if to say "Thank you.".

The men in the JCB ran away. The comments below the video cited an angry, ungrateful elephant. I didn't see that - I saw an intelligent creature thanking others for saving its life.

It then ran off home to tell its mother and to begin contemplating the latest Stephen Hawking theories.

15 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Too many humans. Not enough whales and elephants.

I watched a video last week of an elephant stuck in a mud hole. Some locals went and found some kind of JCB - not an easy task in that part of, IIRC, India. They pushed the elephant up out of the hole by its bum. It then went around to the cab of the JCB and looked in as if to say "Thank you.".

The men in the JCB ran away. The comments below the video cited an angry, ungrateful elephant. I didn't see that - I saw an intelligent creature thanking others for saving its life.

It then ran off home to tell its mother and to begin contemplating the latest Stephen Hawking theories.

To be fair it may have been in must snd I'd bloody run too. Have you got a link to the video?

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

Great shame.  Two females left so they're talking about IVF but what's the point if they're just going to live in cages?

In Europe most of our mega fauna were wiped out by the early middle ages; the aurochs (three times the size of a modern cow), bears, even wolves and beavers.

Whereas with Africa even into this century we see a world as it was with massive animals roaming free, and we are letting their environments be wiped out meaning that they have no future.

There's no way back from that, a few DNA samples in a lab is no consolation for the loss of a wild living Rhino.

Good old population growth, the root of all evil.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-43468066

I presume they have some frozen sperm so could breed via IVF and the two remaining females, but both females are relatives, os it would be a severe bottleneck.

But, is there any point?

A token human gesture to make it look as if we care about 'nature', when all our actions suggest that we don't. That, just like other species, and despiet our intelligence, we only care about our own species.

But, we do know that speicies undergo boom and bust, and that the fate of most species has been extinction, and we have the intelligence to realise that we need a diverse ecosystem for our own survival.

On the positive side, the Northern Elephant seal was hunted and collected to about 10-20 individuals, and so almost to extinction, and yet, when due to the very low numbers exploitation became impractical, and frae of extinction brought legal protection, it now numbers >200,000 individuals.

Case study of the Northern Elephant Seal

The rhino would eat the panda, law of the jungle. 

We are 'supposed' to be intelligent, rational, compassionate beings and as such know the harm and destruction we are inflicting on the earth. Animals only obey their basic instincts.

I prefer animals to people every time!

33 minutes ago, Happyhaddock said:

The rhino would eat the panda, law of the jungle. 

We are 'supposed' to be intelligent, rational, compassionate beings and as such know the harm and destruction we are inflicting on the earth. Animals only obey their basic instincts.

I prefer animals to people every time!

I wasn't thinking if the panda's just took over now, today. I meant if they had evolved over 3 million years to the point where we are now. Panda Roman type empires and first panda to walk on the Moon, etc. Would panda's be having this  black / white hatred thing?

I think my water supply is being spiked by the CIA.

2 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Would panda's be having this  black / white hatred thing?

Of course they wouldn't they ARE black and white! 

I think you need to lie down TMT :) I'm not a tree hugger by any means but just feel so sad when I see another great species staring at extinction 

Just in case anyone wants to play the race card with this ..

The word "wide" refers to the width of the rhinoceros's mouth. So early English-speaking settlers in South Africa misinterpreted the "wijd" for "white" and the rhino with the wide mouth ended up being called the white rhino and the other one, with the narrow pointed mouth, was called the black rhinoceros.

So basically the fat one has died out.

1 hour ago, Happyhaddock said:

Of course they wouldn't they ARE black and white! 

I think you need to lie down TMT :) I'm not a tree hugger by any means but just feel so sad when I see another great species staring at extinction 

Of course I knew that they are black & white - hence my comment.