• Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Sign in to follow this  
Great Guy

Council Tax

Recommended Posts

I just paid mine... £1600 for the year and that includes a 25% discount for being a single occupier... 

I stay in a fairly normal flat.. Probably worth about £100k... 

Council tax is now about a months take home income for the median worker...

imho, it's a lot of money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine's only £3,300 which as you know I consider to be an absolute bargain for all the fantastic services I receive. I only wish I could pay more as I am fully aware how much more good the council could do if only they were able to get the funds they so richly deserve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cunning Plan said:

Mine's only £3,300 which as you know I consider to be an absolute bargain for all the fantastic services I receive. I only wish I could pay more as I am fully aware how much more good the council could do if only they were able to get the funds they so richly deserve.

Just think about all those poor people in Kensington. They have £10m pound houses but pay the same council tax as a detached house in Yorkshire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Great Guy said:

Just think about all those poor people in Kensington. They have £10m pound houses but pay the same council tax as a detached house in Yorkshire.

I would rather have the detached house in Yorkshire.

Those having to live in London are suffering enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

I just paid mine... £1600 for the year and that includes a 25% discount for being a single occupier... 

I stay in a fairly normal flat.. Probably worth about £100k... 

Council tax is now about a months take home income for the median worker...

imho, it's a lot of money.

Councils have to be abolished.

All services centralised.

In Wales they are discussing reducing them down from 22 to around 8 or 9 combined authorities. They do this every couple of years, usually the proposed restructure costs more than it saves.

Ideally have one large centralised authority, called Wales. Base it in Cardiff. Allow it 12 months to completely destroy everything at the Welsh Assembly Government. Then close the lot down and transfer all the administration of services to Westminster.

Councils have a couple of pressing issues, social care provision and funding, recycling and waste collection, education, pension deficits and liabilities, desolation of retail centres within towns causing reduced income from shops and businesses, reduced business rates for those still open for now, and people not able to afford higher rates of CT so they stop paying.

Most households in Wales probably need to work for almost two months to afford to pay CT.

Plenty of older people have to sell their property because they can't afford CT.

Don't pay CT - go to jail. 

I don't expect all this to happen in unrealistic timeframe.

By Christmas is fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Councils have to be abolished.

All services centralised.

In Wales they are discussing reducing them down from 22 to around 8 or 9 combined authorities. They do this every couple of years, usually the proposed restructure costs more than it saves.

Ideally have one large centralised authority, called Wales. Base it in Cardiff. Allow it 12 months to completely destroy everything at the Welsh Assembly Government. Then close the lot down and transfer all the administration of services to Westminster.

Councils have a couple of pressing issues, social care provision and funding, recycling and waste collection, education, pension deficits and liabilities, desolation of retail centres within towns causing reduced income from shops and businesses, reduced business rates for those still open for now, and people not able to afford higher rates of CT so they stop paying.

Most households in Wales probably need to work for almost two months to afford to pay CT.

Plenty of older people have to sell their property because they can't afford CT.

Don't pay CT - go to jail. 

I don't expect all this to happen in unrealistic timeframe.

By Christmas is fine.

In Devon they are planning to merge two authorities. One is densely populated with some large urban centres and the other is sparsely populated with no urban centres, the former also has a greater population than the latter, and the former also has a lower council tax than the latter.

The council taxes are proposed to harmonise when the two authorities merge.

To the higher of the two values.

People have been asked to vote online if they think this is a good idea O.o

Edited by Hopeful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today I’d like to thank The Vale of Glamorgan CC for not collecting the rubbish which has been sitting in the street for 2 days. I’d also like to thank them for switching off the street lights at midnight and also removing the last few bus services available. All that decision making must be a really difficult job so they’re clearly working hard for my money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Battenberg said:

Today I’d like to thank The Vale of Glamorgan CC for not collecting the rubbish which has been sitting in the street for 2 days. I’d also like to thank them for switching off the street lights at midnight and also removing the last few bus services available. All that decision making must be a really difficult job so they’re clearly working hard for my money. 

I'd like to thank Surrey CC for their efficiency in that since I had to switch from monthly to one upfront annual payment for my garden bin collection 6 weeks ago they haven't collected it once.

Thankfully, the snow that my wife classed as garden waste seems to have composted of its own accord.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d like to thank my council for never gritting my street, which is a steep hill in the Center of town, so it is impassible whenever there is the merest fart of snow, for allowing the local roads to deteriorate so that the average bridleway in February has a better, smoother, safer surface and for insisting that we use their specific receptacles to divide out rubbish up into half a dozen different varieties...  and then chronically failing to order enough receptacles so that for the last couple of  months it’s all had to go into black bin bags anyway.

I’m sure there’s plenty more things I could thank them, for too.

Edited by Melchett

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

Thankfully, the snow that my wife classed as garden waste seems to have composted of its own accord.

Question:

If you cleared the snow from your driveway, allowing some to spill to roadway, could you per prosecuted for fly tipping?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do struggle to see the point of the localisation of services when centrally-set targets, guidelines and rules make them converge, inefficiently and at different rates, to the same outcomes.

A recent example is weekly rubbish collection. People want this, people value this, and people pay for it.

But it's going (well, they consulted, I responded but will have been ignored) and the argument for it going is based upon recycling targets strongly featuring comparisons to Devon.

Hold on though.  This is a local council serving local people so if the local people highly value a weekly bin collection then it should be kept.

The same IMO applied to the vast proliferation of NHS Trusts all baking their own decisions but basically doing the same thing.

It just creates noise and expense and doesn't really benefit the local people at all through having local.levels of management.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, M S E Refugee said:

My local council sets fire to around £70000 worth of council tax every year on Bonfire night with their annual fire show.

It pisses me off no end.

My council does the same but for the last couple of years hasn't even bothered to recoup some of the money (or even make a profit) by charging an entrance fee. It got cancelled three years running due to the weather. Lord knows how much those non-events cost us.

The main reason they don't charge now is to let a certain section of the community attend as they can't afford it or wouldn't come otherwise. This section of the community are, in the main, elderly, non-working and with expensive health and social care needs. They also are mostly non-Council Tax payers as they will be in receipt of Council Tax Benefit.

Sounds like an excellent plan to spunk taxpayers money on something the majority of the local population don't attend.

Really, the average councillor can't be trusted to sit the right way on a toilet.

 

Meanwhile I'm fined £100 if my dog shits in a hedge but the section of the community mentioned earlier can happily crap behind the hedges by the tennis courts with impunity. Oh and gob all over the place leaving large green blobs of TB-laden sputum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The amount I now pay in council tax per month would lease me a pretty decent car. Frankly I don't know how they've got the fucking balls to keep increasing it as their incompetence and cock-ups are absolutely legion. Seriously, has anyone ever heard the words 'I think my council do a really good job?'

I equate it to handing money over to a bunch of ten year olds. That's the level of trust I place in them when it comes to sensibly handling money - and it's serious money; 250 quid a month should demand some tangible fucking results. But no, the roads still look carpet bombed, they are slinging up estate after estate with zero infrastructure to back them up, I have to go to the tip long before the rubbish collection arrives...I could go on.

It takes the piss. 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When are people going to say enough is enough?  I'm fucking sick of it, I've already had a rant about in another thread.  My council tax is funding the likes of this:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/work-stockton-hilton-hotel-well-14262580.amp

Seriously? A Hilton hotel in Stockton, who the fuck is going to pay to stay there?  I've read that they need 80% occupancy for the next 35 years to recover the costs.  What planet do the people thinking these things up live on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ILikeCake said:

Seriously? A Hilton hotel in Stockton, who the fuck is going to pay to stay there?  I've read that they need 80% occupancy for the next 35 years to recover the costs.  What planet do the people thinking these things up live on?

Apparently the Viewpoint Tower in Darlington is destined to become a Hilton hotel. Perhaps Mr. Hilton just wants to give himself as many naming options as possible in the event of any future unwanted offspring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In other news my partner who works for the nhs was happy that she'd heard this morning she might be getting a 6.4% pay rise.  I had to point out that it would probably be over several years (I've checked it is) I then explained about inflation (again) and that she was actually getting a pay cut.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, ILikeCake said:

When are people going to say enough is enough?  I'm fucking sick of it, I've already had a rant about in another thread.  My council tax is funding the likes of this:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/work-stockton-hilton-hotel-well-14262580.amp

Seriously? A Hilton hotel in Stockton, who the fuck is going to pay to stay there?  I've read that they need 80% occupancy for the next 35 years to recover the costs.  What planet do the people thinking these things up live on?

insanity,my local council keeps trying to take newcastle council over claiming it will save money....they have also offered an amisty to people claiming single occupanency if they fezz up.

24 minutes ago, eight said:

Apparently the Viewpoint Tower in Darlington is destined to become a Hilton hotel. Perhaps Mr. Hilton just wants to give himself as many naming options as possible in the event of any future unwanted offspring.

has he got one in paris ? or is that just c grade celebs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ILikeCake said:

When are people going to say enough is enough?  I'm fucking sick of it, I've already had a rant about in another thread.  My council tax is funding the likes of this:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/work-stockton-hilton-hotel-well-14262580.amp

Seriously? A Hilton hotel in Stockton, who the fuck is going to pay to stay there?  I've read that they need 80% occupancy for the next 35 years to recover the costs.  What planet do the people thinking these things up live on?

Planet "No fucking consequences whatsoever for pssing your money up the wall".

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.