• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

An gender pay equality statement from Bradford Council

yeah:   The gender pay gap reflects the overall difference between how much women and men are paid, but does not take into account the type of work people do

quetion raised and answered in the same sentence...headline ignores the second part though, and paying a person less or more for being female has been illegal for years in this country, unless they do different jobs.

Equality of outcome is not possible without serious discrimination.

Edited by BLOOLOO

11 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

A female bin man would be paid the same as a male bin man?

Much more round here. I believe we have drafted in the Brazillian beach volleyball team to collect our bins this summer, dressed in their traditional sporting garb.

At least that is the only conclusion I can draw from the increase in council tax.

Happy days ahead :)

14 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

as would a transgender binperson.  They would be on a payscale of course, and different pensions compared to an old hand, but that is not inequality. Its the nature oe being paid more for experiemce.

16 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

I assume Church of England  women vicars are paid the same as men vicars. Is a female Muslim Iman paid the same as a male Iman?

8 minutes ago, satch said:

I assume Church of England  women vicars are paid the same as men vicars. Is a female Muslim Iman paid the same as a male Iman?

I would assume so.

Gosh that'd be entertaining to pose the question as the headline of the sun.

Yesterday Navratilova was complaining on the So-Called BBC radio that she only got 10% (she said she gets £15,000) of what McEnroe gets for Wimbledon.  He seems to be on all the time and she only on intermittently.

If she gets a pay rise then I assume he'll be saying the differential is too small for the work involved and he wants a pay rise.

Edited by twocents

Bradford Council has published figures showing the difference between average earnings of males and females working across the authority.

With a mean gender pay gap of 8.2% for 2017, the authority compares favourably with the national average of 18%, the council said.

The gender pay gap reflects the overall difference between how much women and men are paid, but does not take into account the type of work people do.

The figures also highlight differences in the gender split across four pay bands, or quartiles, from the highest to the lowest pay. Amongst the highest paid earners at Bradford Council, 58% of employees are women, whereas in the lowest paid quartile, 76% are women.

The council employs more women than men overall, with 65% of the workforce being female and 35% male.

Cllr Susan Hinchcliffe, Bradford Council leader, said: “The gender pay gap figures published this week show that Bradford Council is in a better position than most in relation to the national average, but we cannot be complacent.

Equality is one of our core principles and with a female chief executive, and 50% of our strategic directors being female, we have much to be proud of. In a month where we have seen International Women’s Day, and celebrations for the centenary of women’s suffrage, we need to continue to ensure women at all levels across the authority have equal opportunities to achieve their potential and access higher-earning roles.

Kersten England, Bradford Council’s chief executive, said: “Securing equality and ensuring appropriate representation within our workforce is at the top of our agenda. It is reassuring that our gender pay gap is going in the right direction compared with national figures.

“Gender pay gap is a national issue which affects all business and organisations – not just councils. Within the Bradford District we have local challenges, such as low employment rates amongst black and minority ethnic women, along with unique opportunities: being the youngest city in the UK and having a powerful culture of entrepreneurship.

“We have been working with our partners to help encourage women and girls into aspirational career choices, including with the ‘Inspiring Bradford’ sessions in schools last year, which focused on women in science and apprenticeships amongst other things. With our recently launched economic strategy we will do further work with businesses, the University of Bradford, colleges and training agencies to support more women into work and enterprise, and ensure people, regardless of gender, have the right skills to get the job they want.”

The figures have been published in response to new national legislation which requires employers with more than 250 employees to publish gender pay gap information each year. The aim of this is to increase awareness and improve pay equality across the country.'

Sounds like they need to be working on male equlaity and equal representation.

Kersten England, Bradford Council’s chief executive, said:

Cllr Susan Hinchcliffe, Bradford Council leader, said:

Notice that they're both females in senior roles - but that's still not enough for them.  Yet more divisive suffrage.

“Equality is one of our core principles and with a female chief executive, and 50% of our strategic directors being female, we have much to be proud of. In a month where we have seen International Women’s Day, and celebrations for the centenary of women’s suffrage, we need to continue to ensure women at all levels across the authority have equal opportunities to achieve their potential and access higher-earning roles.”

43 minutes ago, spygirl said:

“We have been working with our partners to help encourage women and girls into aspirational career choices, including with the ‘Inspiring Bradford’ sessions in schools last year, which focused on women in science and apprenticeships amongst other things. With our recently launched economic strategy we will do further work with businesses, the University of Bradford, colleges and training agencies to support more women into work and enterprise, and ensure people, regardless of gender, have the right skills to get the job they want.”

Why push them into relatively low paid and low status jobs - that is in the UK.

Kersten England didn't do science she did history - BA hons MA year, history and historical anthropology.

They should focus on women in banking (I'm not referring to counter staff).  By hook or by crook that's where the easy money is.

That would push the female averages up.

Edited by twocents

11 minutes ago, twocents said:

Yesterday Navratilova was complaining on the So-Called BBC radio that she only got 10% (she said she gets £15,000) of what McEnroe gets for Wimbledon.  He seems to be on all the time and she only on intermittently.

If she gets a pay rise then I assume he'll be saying the differential is too small for the work involved and he wants a pay rise.

They do different numbers of sets/frames/whatever the fuck they call it. 

14 minutes ago, twocents said:

IIRC McEnroe can never to the Men's finals as the US channels outbid the So-Called BBC for him. I presume they are also bidding for all the other days so McEnroe is in a truly competitive market for his services. If another channel is prepared to offer Navratilova more money, she should broadcast for them or use it to negotiate her BBC pay upwards.

Just out of interest what is the gender pay equality like for working age benefits? I hope those young single men with no kids are getting exactly the same as the single women with 6 kids. Or else.... SEXISM!

I was at London Excel today, attended a key note talk in the Datacenter hall, 90% men, a handful of women, one sat near me, she spent the whole time on her ipad reading a sky news report on gender pay gap, she even put on a headet to listen to the news report on it.

Perhaps if she did her fucking job instead of worrying about gender pay gaps, she'd be earning the same as all the men that were actually paying attention to the speaker.

Edited by snagger

7 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Does Bradford Council employ many trans lesbian bin people?

7 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Not enough. 

This is the real  issue here.

For far too long men have dominated this industry.

Where is the diversity drive for bin people? Where's the budget? Why do we not seem more in the mail stream media?

I mean, FFS, it's 2018...

3 hours ago, Poseidon said:

That's hilarious! She says why should women queue so long, then says they take longer as the carry more crap about with them. Against unisex toilets as men are dirty pigs. What exactly is her point?

10 hours ago, spygirl said:

These gender pay statements are completely and utterly pointless.  There might be a problem in pay differentials, but just binning across an organisation gives just junk data.

Yet we've got to listen to twaddle about how awful it all is.  

9 hours ago, twocents said:

And then it is supported by this sort of nonsense.  For a start, McEnroe is an absolute icon, if only for his bad manners.  Navratilova is famous only for being the lesbian one.  Beyond that, for these sorts of jobs it is all about how much they negotiate -- to claim they are in any way equivalent to sewing machine operators in Dagenham is desperately insulting.

Oh, and by the way, this week it was reported by Diageo GB that they've got a gender pay gap of -10% -- that is, on average women are paid more than men.  Was there any statement about how this could be rectified?  Of course not -- in fact, their documentation is still full of stuff about how to encourage women to ask for pay rises etc.