• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Hopeful

Sperm whale on the beach shows our stupidity and self-importance

A sperm whale has run aground and died at Monifieth beach, Tayside.

The British Divers Marine Life Rescue (BDMLR) team, coastguard and the RNLI inshore lifeboat attended

The general public don't often get a chance to see these amazing creatures

BUT

Teams were out in the pitch darkness to try to secure the site, and warned members of the public not to visit the beach for their own safety.

OK, it was dark and beaches can be dangerous if you are unfamiliar.

BUT

Experts were expected to revisit the beach at first light, but Mr Smith [the British Divers Marine Life Rescue’s Fife and Stirlingshire co-ordinator] warned people to stay away and let those doing the recovery do their jobs.

“We don’t want anybody down there because this is now a biohazard,” he stressed.”

“It’s going to start deteriorating –  you can get a lot of nasty diseases from these animals so we don’t want anybody down there.”

Really, A fekking biohazard ? I'd have primary and secondary schools down there PDQ

It'll be cordoned off with a police presence soon.

As determined by British Divers Marine Life Rescue

These amateur, self-appointed, first responders are so full of their self-importance and bullshit. FUCKWITS. Just bigging up the severity of a situation to make themselves look as if they are an emergency service. They are what people shouldn't go near

Get some TNT in and put on a show

Edited by Hopeful

When I was a teenager a sperm whale was stranded near wells on the north norfolk coast. It is so tidal up there that it was at least a mile out from the shoreline. I got on my bike and cycled out. It was just me and this magnificent creature, quite humbling and sad. Fucking stank mind. 

I am still here to tell the tale.

I've spent thousands of hours volunteering and nothing ever happens, so now something has happened it's mine to experience by right and the general public who haven't spent all those hours being bored out of their minds like I have can go whistle. They don't get to see it, it's mine, all mine!

I'll put out some guff about health and safety or biohazard to scare them off.

2 hours ago, Hopeful said:

A sperm whale has run aground and died at Monifieth beach, Tayside.

The British Divers Marine Life Rescue (BDMLR) team, coastguard and the RNLI inshore lifeboat attended

The general public don't often get a chance to see these amazing creatures

BUT

OK, it was dark and beaches can be dangerous if you are unfamiliar.

BUT

Really, A fekking biohazard ? I'd have primary and secondary schools down there PDQ

It'll be cordoned off with a police presence soon.

As determined by British Divers Marine Life Rescue

These amateur, self-appointed, first responders are so full of their self-importance and bullshit. FUCKWITS. Just bigging up the severity of a situation to make themselves look as if they are an emergency service. They are what people shouldn't go near

Get some TNT in and put on a show

Too right.

You know waht happened to Jonah....

Again, another example of pointless make work schemes and over self importance in the public sector.

Go to Salisbury and theres hordes of police protecting the site of a supposed chemical weapon ... with Police tape.

Go to London the Police and councils are doing outreach to stabby black kids. The black kids they let int othe UK who failed to engage, so are bored and dealing drugs and stabbing. If someone said Fuck off, then they would not be here, causing problems.

10 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

If I knew that BDMLR were coming to my rescue I think I'd also hurry up and die

On a serious note, they should take the jawbone and teeth, clean it up, and give it to the local primary school so they can do a lesson around it each year 'why is it like it is'.

Edited by Hopeful

Fuck the whale hugging divers. You need someone with a big fucking gun or syringe of knockout juice.

The only sea mamml they could rescue would be a purpoise, who have a lot more sense to get stranded.

A full grown bottle nose dolphin is fucking heavy. A fat bloke and his drippy girly helpers would not be able to lift it.

When you get into the likes of whales, you are fucked. And, no, depsite the claims, whales are not that smart.

1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

They won't be able to do their self congratulation act then which often seems to take a higher priority in their after the event analysis than the emergency itself.

Edited by twocents

We had one of those off the east coast a few years back.  They loaded it into a container, filled the container with maggots and when all the flesh was gone sold the skeleton to the Smithsonian.  Pass it on to Monifieth. 

4 minutes ago, Snow bird said:

We had one of those off the east coast a few years back.  They loaded it into a container, filled the container with maggots and when all the flesh was gone sold the skeleton to the Smithsonian.  Pass it on to Monifieth. 

A very sensible approach. I'd also set some cameras to film the decomposition - heck you could webcam it. There is no end to the educatioanal opportunities this stranding (and others) present. Even just walking up to it and around it, touching it's skin, lookng at the teeth.

But no, a bunch of amateur, unaccountable, self-appointed guardians have pronounced it a biohazard, KEEP AWAY

Edited by Hopeful

25 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

A very sensible approach. I'd also set some cameras to film the decomposition - heck you could webcam it. There is no end to the educatioanal opportunities this stranding (and others) present. Even just walking up to it and around it, touching it's skin, lookng at the teeth.

But no, a bunch of amateur, unaccountable, self-appointed guardians have pronounced it a biohazard, KEEP AWAY

when i was 11-12 i can remember being allowed to watch the class above skin and disect a fox

2 hours ago, Gloommonger said:

When I was a teenager a sperm whale was stranded near wells on the north norfolk coast. It is so tidal up there that it was at least a mile out from the shoreline. I got on my bike and cycled out. It was just me and this magnificent creature, quite humbling and sad. Fucking stank mind. 

I am still here to tell the tale.

i witnessed a dead rotting sea turtle on a sandy beach once. (Arabian Gulf. Lots in the sea back then. We used to walk along that beach a lot in the evenings.)

Impressive size (say compared to a pet tortoise) so we were thinking the shell could be a nice souvenir.  Quite fresh and lots of meat on it (still) so it stank.

Realised it was far too heavy to shift without some sort of forklift! So it stayed there. No'-one seemed in a hurry to remove it/take it away. Guess they just assumed nature would take its course, so no need for any action?

I remember the smell (hot country) was really noticeable from quite a distance ... and pretty appalling close up! :D

11 hours ago, Hopeful said:

Quite possibly.

They might also be worried that some enterprising chap will turn up with a sharpened spade and go looking for ambergris. Personally, I'd say "good luck" to him (from a safe distance), but since the whale belongs to the crown, and these days that just means they have to dispose of it, I can see they would prefer the remains to be in one piece.

Off topic, but do they still pour some foul concoction onto the next monarch at the coronation?

4 minutes ago, BurntBread said:

Quite possibly.

They might also be worried that some enterprising chap will turn up with a sharpened spade and go looking for ambergris. Personally, I'd say "good luck" to him (from a safe distance), but since the whale belongs to the crown, and these days that just means they have to dispose of it, I can see they would prefer the remains to be in one piece.

Off topic, but do they still pour some foul concoction onto the next monarch at the coronation?

Anyone who knows what ambergris looks like should also know that it gets it's value by absorbing the flavours of the sea which can take months if not years. Won't find it by a fresh carcass.