• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

goldbug9999

Ridiculously good bargains

43 minutes ago, goldbug9999 said:

I'm talking about things that are incomprehensibly good value.

Yesterday at the local "pound saver" (or similar, a discount warehouse not a pound shop) I procured a pack of 8 2g superglue tubes for 99p.

They don't stick that well and they don't reseal though.

I spent this weekend researching my family history on ancestry.co.uk for free. Wouldn't have known about it if I hadn't been watching Blackadder on yesterday. So not only was it free, they spent money advertising the fact. 

Guess enough people will have been sufficiently intrigued to pay £10pm from doing it to pay for it. 

12 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

I spent this weekend researching my family history on ancestry.co.uk for free. Wouldn't have known about it if I hadn't been watching Blackadder on yesterday. So not only was it free, they spent money advertising the fact. 

Guess enough people will have been sufficiently intrigued to pay £10pm from doing it to pay for it. 

I did the same. It was the perfect spend-free thing to take my mind off my cold. 

Edited by SCC

4 hours ago, SNACR said:

Chinese cyanoacrylates are junk. You've invested most of the money in the blistercard and packaging.

Buy something like Siroflex trade strength in 20ml bottles instead.

It's good enough to stick my fingers together! I've used both the trade and poundland stuff and can't tell the difference.

51 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

It's good enough to stick my fingers together! I've used both the trade and poundland stuff and can't tell the difference.

Might be ok if it came from somewhere like Chemence, in Corby, who do a lot of private label super glue to the discount sector. Adhesives and sealants are a market sector I know quite a bit about . People often think they're getting the same with sealants when it looks identical to the vastly more expensive trade brand but it will need doing again in a year whilst the trade brand will be good for ten. There certainly are products which manufacturers sell an identical product, with a different label, into the discount sector that might be a bargain but they are in the minority most is value engineered. The only bargains in well known pound shops are genuine clearance, which is few and far between, most is imported specially to sell at a pound because that's all it's worth.

Edited by SNACR

31 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Might be ok if it came from somewhere like Chemence, in Corby, who do a lot of private label super glue to the discount sector. Adhesives and sealants are a market sector I know quite a bit about . People often think they're getting the same with sealants when it looks identical to the vastly more expensive trade brand but it will need doing again in a year whilst the trade brand will be good for ten. There certainly are products which manufacturers sell an identical product, with a different label, into the discount sector that might be a bargain but they are in the minority most is value engineered. The only bargains in well known pound shops are genuine clearance, which is few and far between, most is imported specially to sell at a pound because that's all it's worth.

Is this Dow Corning one good for round the bath and sinks? I hate redoing sealing so want to use a good one.

http://www.sealantsonline.co.uk/ProductGrp/Dow-corning-785-bacteria-resistant-sanitary-silicone-sealant

image.php?filename=WebCat-004400230004.j

Yes anything Dow Corning is good due to shit marketing and not really being that interested in the consumer market they're not a strong brand but they actually manufacture a lot of the sealant other very well known sealant brand  companies then fill cartridges with. They also make loads of stuff like silicon greases that's sold in a variety of other brands. Big chemical plant in South Wales.

37 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Yes anything Dow Corning is good due to shit marketing and not really being that interested in the consumer market they're not a strong brand but they actually manufacture a lot of the sealant other very well known sealant brand  companies then fill cartridges with. They also make loads of stuff like silicon greases that's sold in a variety of other brands. Big chemical plant in South Wales.

Not the Bhopal Dow then?

that was pretty shit marketing though so maybe the same company.

Edited by Carl Fimble

On 20/04/2017 at 11:30, The Generation Game said:

They do these offers about 4 times a year, and I download enough info to keep my research going for another 3 months. I do intend to join eventually.

The fuzzy search features, once you get the hang of them, are absolutely superb. Very clever, very simple, very intuitive.

On 4/20/2017 at 18:05, SNACR said:

Not for long so the rumour goes