• Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Sign in to follow this  
Great Guy

Land Wind

Recommended Posts

Nasty Trump is threatening a trade war with China because China is stealing intellectual property.

Here's a Chinese car called a "Land Wind". It looks strangely familiar... It certainly evoques a deep seated memory I have...

How can China rip off western designs and get away with it? I think Trump is right....

 

 

image.png

Edited by Great Guy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Land Winds are big in China, pissed myself laughing when I first saw one a couple of years ago. I have to say they look the real deal but there are still plenty of the kosher versions. Will be back next week. The Land Wind is the only one I have noticed so far but I will keep an eye out and report back. There has been a massive decline in the number of Rowe cars - looks like Rover has failed over there too :-(

Ten years ago it was only old style VW Passats - it is amazing how much that place changes every year!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

China is playing a long game.  The west is stuck with 3 year plans.

So far they've made amazing inroads -- they've decimated the west's industrial base, which actually means they've managed to make a near monopoly in the provision of 'stuff' where before there was a distributed stuff generation across the world.

It won't end well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

Isnt it much the same as ALDI ripping off big brands and undercutting the price? Nobody cares if the Germans do it :ph34r:

I think the problem is western firms spend billions on research and development. Chinese firms then steal the ideas and knock out identical products at cheaper costs as they don't spend on R&D. Western firms then go bust leaving the Chinese firms... 

You can be fairly sure that if Chinese firms can sell a knock off Range Rover they also sell knock off pharmaceuticals and engineering goods. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt much of the Chinese tin would meet western crash performance requirements. An approximate copy does not translate into working crumple zones, for example.

That is one reason why we don't see these cars in the West

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

Isnt it much the same as ALDI ripping off big brands and undercutting the price? Nobody cares if the Germans do it :ph34r:

Do they do this?

Tbh I've only had decent reliable stuff from Aldi, including electronics and basic tools, and the food is ok if you don't buy the super-low-priced stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, dgul said:

China is playing a long game.  The west is stuck with 3 year plans.

So far they've made amazing inroads -- they've decimated the west's industrial base, which actually means they've managed to make a near monopoly in the provision of 'stuff' where before there was a distributed stuff generation across the world.

It won't end well.

Yes but some of the stuff we buy at inflated prices is because of various elements incorporated into the price. Marketeers call it "Brand Value". These are costs like advertising, expensive packaging, the customer "experience".

I'm thinking luxury stuff like cosmetics, watches. The high end stuff is no more functional than the bargain basement end, but we, well some of us, pay the price. There is some peace of mind to it, for example you can be confident the shampoo wont blind you, its not all status display.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, swissy_fit said:

Do they do this?

Tbh I've only had decent reliable stuff from Aldi, including electronics and basic tools, and the food is ok if you don't buy the super-low-priced stuff.

Haven't you noticed the similarity of Mars and Titan? O.o

Aldi+Titan+Chocolate+Review.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Haven't you noticed the similarity of Mars and Titan? O.o

Aldi+Titan+Chocolate+Review.JPG

:D   No I don't buy either as I only buy poncey chocolate in general so hadn't noticed!

I bet they are a lot more similar in reality than the Range Rovers!

At Aldi and Lidl I buy fresh foods, occasional electronics or tools or kids sports clothes, wine and household stuff like bogroll and kitchen towels, tbh apart from the clientele who are not always the classiest (have witnessed a few screaming matches between Portuguese or Kosovar women) I have no complaints about them at all, they've pressured CH supermarkets to be less price-gouging and have made going to France to shop less essential. 

Edited by swissy_fit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

:D   No I don't buy either as I only buy poncey chocolate in general so hadn't noticed!

I bet they are a lot more similar in reality than the Range Rovers!

At Aldi and Lidl I buy fresh foods, occasional electronics or tools or kids sports clothes, wine and household stuff like bogroll and kitchen towels, tbh apart from the clientele who are not always the classiest (have witnessed a few screaming matches between Portuguese or Kosovar women) I have no complaints about them at all, they've pressures CH supermarkets to be less price-gouging and have made going to France to shop less essential. 

Do Swiss ALDIs stock the power drills next to the ham too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Great Guy said:

Nasty Trump is threatening a trade war with China because China is stealing intellectual property.

Here's a Chinese car called a "Land Wind". It looks strangely familiar... It certainly evoques a deep seated memory I have...

How can China rip off western designs and get away with it? I think Trump is right....

 

 

 

They do not recognise trade marks /pattern rights/ copyright ..etc  everything is fair game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ernst Degner defecting from CZ in East Germany to Suzuki was a key factor in helping the Japanese motorbike industry, even today he has two corners named after him at a Japanese GP track.

Don't we train China to make Airbus, don't the Chinese own Volvo, don't the Chinese make nearly all our hi-fi, including really expensive loudspeakers ?

It's just a fact of globalisation.

I would buy stuff from the Chinese quite happily.

King Prawn Curry, boiled rice and chips for a start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Ernst Degner defecting from CZ in East Germany to Suzuki was a key factor in helping the Japanese motorbike industry, even today he has two corners named after him at a Japanese GP track.

Don't we train China to make Airbus, don't the Chinese own Volvo, don't the Chinese make nearly all our hi-fi, including really expensive loudspeakers ?

It's just a fact of globalisation.

I would buy stuff from the Chinese quite happily.

King Prawn Curry, boiled rice and chips for a start.

Last time I bought a crispy pancake roll, it was counterfeit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Ernst Degner defecting from CZ in East Germany to Suzuki was a key factor in helping the Japanese motorbike industry, even today he has two corners named after him at a Japanese GP track.

Ironically, turns 7 and 8 at Sepang are an inferior quality rip off of the Degner curves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Similar Content

    • By Long time lurking
      This has to be worthy of it`s own thread just for the comments on the twitter thread
       
       
    • By One percent
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43941146
      A tree gifted to President Donald Trump by French President Emmanuel Macron has disappeared.
      The pair planted the sapling, taken from the site of a World War One battle in north-east France, during Mr Macron's state visit last week.
      Mr Macron said the tree would be a reminder of "these ties that bind us".
      But a Reuters photographer on Saturday took a shot of only a yellow patch of grass on the White House south lawn where the tree once stood.
      😂
    • By SpectrumFX
      This is the bloke who wrote that fire and fury book about Trump.
       
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.