• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

The XYY Man

Songs inspired by "real-life" stories...

Simple enough.

You post a song that you like - but it has to be one with a "real-life" story behind it.

A story that makes that song seem more interesting - or indeed, more poignant - through that connection.

My first-attempt would be Neil Sedaka and Howard Greenfield's "This Will Be Our Last Song Together".

When it was a hit in my childhood, I wondered what the fuck it was all about.

But once you know the back-story of it actually being the last song that Neil Sedaka and Howard Greenfield ever wrote together, then its significance in popular music history - and that of a fair few of its lyrics - become immediately apparent.

Sedaka / Greenfield were the song-writing partnership that scored all those fabulous hits for Neil Sedaka in the late 50s/early 60s.

That during Sedaka's 70s comeback, they wrote a song that both announced, and documented, that it was to be their last one together is evidence of their status as a class act.

Enjoy...

Over to you for more musical tales DOSBODders...

XYY

So long Marianne, Leonard Cohen.

Marianne Stang Ihlen and Cohen lived together on Greek island in 60's

But their lifestyles proved incompatible when they moved to New York 

She returned to Oslo and got married while he had numerous lovers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3734061/So-long-Marianne-Profoundly-moving-story-death-beauty-inspired-Leonard-Cohen-s-greatest-song.html

Edited by Chewing Grass
the story

17 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

So long Marianne, Leonard Cohen.

Marianne Stang Ihlen and Cohen lived together on Greek island in 60's

But their lifestyles proved incompatible when they moved to New York 

She returned to Oslo and got married while he had numerous lovers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3734061/So-long-Marianne-Profoundly-moving-story-death-beauty-inspired-Leonard-Cohen-s-greatest-song.html

A truly excellent addition to this thread Chewy - thank you very much mate.

:)

XYY

It's a good thread and I was unsure as to posting this one as it seemed too obvious.  But then I thought that as I only roughly knew the story behind it the I could look it up.

In 1974, my band Cockney Rebel were on a roll. We’d had hits with Judy Teen and Mr Soft and a sold-out UK tour had generated hysteria. At some venues, police on horseback were needed to get us out. It was every young man’s dream. Or so I thought.

Because I wrote all the songs – I’d busked them before I formed the band – I received the lion’s share of income. This had always been agreed. However, after the tour, three band members came to me and said they wanted to write songs, too. I’d already written most of the next album and said: “Not for this band.” So they walked out.

We were due to play Reading festival and my manager said we’d have to pull out. I said, “Like hell we will”, and formed another band with Stuart Elliott – the drummer, who stayed loyal – and we carried on as Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel.

We booked into Abbey Road with the producer Alan Parsons. One morning I came in with a lyric, Make Me Smile, which I’d finished in the cab on the way in. I sang it for everyone as a slow blues: “You’ve done it all, you’ve broken every code.” No one knew it at the time, but the song is about the guys who left me. The line, “For only metal – what a bore” is a biblical reference. Metal is money: it’s Judas and 30 pieces of silver. “Brought the rebel to the floor” is me: they shattered me. “Blue eyes, blue eyes” is a term for innocence, because they were portrayed as victims and I was Mr Bad Guy. The NME headline was, “Harley sacks Rebel”, but I hadn’t.

Alan thought it was an “interesting” song, but suggested speeding it up, which masked the vitriolic lyrics. When we played the finished track to the boss of EMI, he said: “Fuck. No 1!” In the third week after release, it topped the charts. We were in Los Angeles when we got the news and we all jumped in the hotel swimming pool – fully clothed.

I saw a lot of the original bass-player, Paul Jeffreys, after the split. I think he regretted leaving until the day he died. He was killed in the Lockerbie bombing, going on his honeymoon. We’d all been young and brash and arrogant, but later I felt sorry for them. It must have been difficult watching me singing that song on Top of the Pops.

18 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

It's a good thread and I was unsure as to posting this one as it seemed too obvious.  But then I thought that as I only roughly knew the story behind it the I could look it up.

I never get tired of hearing that. :)

I can't think of any contributions of my own at the moment. One that comes to mind is 'The Battle of Epping Forest' by Genesis but I think it's more a version of the Kray Twins' rule of east London.

Just now, UmBongo said:

I never get tired of hearing that. :)

I can't think of any contributions of my own at the moment. One that comes to mind is 'The Battle of Epping Forest' by Genesis but I think it's more a version of the Kray Twins' rule of east London.

'Tis great :)

I saw @The XYY Man's thread yesterday but didn't just want to leap in with the first ones that came to mind; this was a good one.

The song tells the sad story of the death of Georgie - who was an acquaintance of Rod and The Faces in the 1970s.

You'll agree I'm sure that it's a bit more poignant than Do Ya Think I'm fucking Sexy...!

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man

On 25/03/2018 at 21:48, Bedrag Justesen said:

This song written 1969 released 1974.

Documents the homeless in London.

Could be written tomorrow.

Many versions this is the angriest.

Anger is most appropriate.

I'm glad you like the ANL version, over Ralph McTell.