• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

The XYY Man

Songs inspired by "real-life" stories...

Ohio by Neil Young, about the Kent State massacre. If I'm in in the right mood then by the time he gets to 'but if you knew her and found her dead on the ground, how can you run when you know?' I'm filling up.

The song is a political satire about the development of suburbia, and associated conformist middle-class attitudes. It mocks suburban tract housing as "little boxes" of different colors "all made out of ticky-tacky", and which "all look just the same." "Ticky-tacky" is a reference to the shoddy material supposedly used in the construction of the houses.

Sound familiar?

16 hours ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

That's how to write a melody, the melodic transitions are right and seamless. Terrific stuff, added to my playlist. He sounds black.

( also added Cohen...It seemed the better way)

Edited by crashmonitor

On 26/10/2018 at 15:46, jm51 said:

David Gates: Everything I own.

Seems like a oneitis torch song but it's about his late father.

Great song though I always preferred the Ken Booth version. Back to the original posting, I'd say 'Hurricane' by Bob Dylan. 

It would seem that 70s Euro-popsters Boney M were well ahead of the songs inspired by real-life curve.

"Ma Baker" and "Rasputin" for example.

And maybe even the "Rivers Of Babylon"....?

Not sure I want to find out if there's a story behind "Brown Girl In The Ring" mind...

;)

XYY