• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Bus Stop Boxer

android tablet purchase angst

2 minutes ago, shindigger said:

as title.

i'm after a ten incher. 

samsungs stuff looks ok. anyone got a chinese import type?

im not buying a sony.

any "user experiences" welcomed

I'm not gainsaying you but what a shame about SONY. Back in the 80s, 90s, early 00s they were a byword for top quality and I was always happy to pay the extra.  These days they've been left behind and in my last three mobile phone purchasing decision SONY has been ruled out very early on each time.

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

I'm not gainsaying you but what a shame about SONY. Back in the 80s, 90s, early 00s they were a byword for top quality and I was always happy to pay the extra.  These days they've been left behind and in my last three mobile phone purchasing decision SONY has been ruled out very early on each time.

I know, its not just that. they dont support anything longer than 2-3 years. i have a sony android tv and it bollockses up my entire home av system.

i had 2 sony blu ray players and both of them lost iplayer support. 

i use and old 1080 40 inch tv as a pc monitor and its a great tv. still going strong. and there you have it.

6 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Ive a samsung tablet now.

Its fucking great.

Buying Chinese is a crap shoot.

I can't kill my old Samsung Note, for sure good quality tech.  The top 10% of Chinese goods like these are great value for money though. Anything that can be lost / stolen / sat on / dropped has a finite lifetime anyway so hence considering a cheap alternative. Doubt my next phone will be Samsung as price / performance  / features just won't stack up the way it did nearly 5 years ago.

I've got one of these (or, rather, the yoga 2 tablet, but it is the same sort of thing).

l_10161316_008.jpg

I think they're excellent.  The format is a bit strange, but actually works well -- the stand is actually useful and the thick round bit at one end holds the massive batteries (stellar battery life) and makes for a comfortable hand-hold when using it as a hand-held tablet.  The downside is that the asymmetric aspect and 'thick bit' makes shoving it in a bag a bit more of a hassle.

17 minutes ago, dgul said:

I've got one of these (or, rather, the yoga 2 tablet, but it is the same sort of thing).

l_10161316_008.jpg,

I think they're excellent.  The format is a bit strange, but actually works well -- the stand is actually useful and the thick round bit at one end holds the massive batteries (stellar battery life) and makes for a comfortable hand-hold when using it as a hand-held tablet.  The downside is that the asymmetric aspect and 'thick bit' makes shoving it in a bag a bit more of a hassle.

Did you delete the Twitter and FB apps when you purchased it. Some people suggesting online that they are a bit sinister in where the info first goes allegedly. Others suggesting that it is best to delete them AND the google play store app... then go to Google via the web browser, download the play store app from there, install it and then reinstall the FB and Twitter apps from there...

But, if so, which browser do you use and should you delete the browser - Chrome - as well.

Yes, this is the land of paranoia which lots of people live in.

I will shut up now.

1 hour ago, onlyme said:

I can't kill my old Samsung Note, for sure good quality tech.  The top 10% of Chinese goods like these are great value for money though. Anything that can be lost / stolen / sat on / dropped has a finite lifetime anyway so hence considering a cheap alternative. Doubt my next phone will be Samsung as price / performance  / features just won't stack up the way it did nearly 5 years ago.

TV's, smartphones and PC'S/laptops - I am now of the opinion to buy cheaply as all of these things are designed to fail within 3 or so years is not less. Even if they do not fail or slow down considerably on the hardware side then they either do not get updated with latest software or some software updates give the impression that they are there just to slow down devices.

I keep telling people this but most of Joe Public cannot get their heads around it.

Battery life on laptops seems to be going backwards. I keep reading claims of longer and longer battery life by mmanufacturers but real world use seems to be giving less time.

4 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Did you delete the Twitter and FB apps when you purchased it. Some people suggesting online that they are a bit sinister in where the info first goes allegedly. Others suggesting that it is best to delete them AND the google play store app... then go to Google via the web browser, download the play store app from there, install it and then reinstall the FB and Twitter apps from there...

But, if so, which browser do you use and should you delete the browser - Chrome - as well.

Yes, this is the land of paranoia which lots of people live in.

I will shut up now.

I just use the standard chrome and do everything in browser.  

2 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Good stuff. Just ignore my paranoia stuff. The sun is shining today. The sky is blue and there is some warmth on the land finally. I can't take the excitement of it all.

Not quite.  I actually (in the real world) have a campaign to destroy Facebook.  It wasn't going very well, but then Cambridge Analytica came along and gave me some substantial free publicity.

[I actually advertise the campaign on Facebook using their own algorithms to identify new supporters.  That amuses me greatly.]

Thanks for all this. Im coming from a point where i much regret not buying an android tab insted of the Linx 10 Win 8 tab that i ended up with. Enough to convince me i dont want Win 8 or 10 on any device.

Lenovo or Samsung seem like players. Shame i missed the 20% off on ebay yesterday.

Anyone got a Tab 4? That seems favourite right now.

5 hours ago, dgul said:

Not quite.  I actually (in the real world) have a campaign to destroy Facebook.  It wasn't going very well, but then Cambridge Analytica came along and gave me some substantial free publicity.

[I actually advertise the campaign on Facebook using their own algorithms to identify new supporters.  That amuses me greatly.]

You're not Elon are you? :D

What is the tablet supposed to be for? I mention that since if the thing is to be used for video (or forum threads with lots of videos embedded inline) you'll want decent hardware.

For example I've got one of those Amazon tablets which was dirt cheap and is OK for looking stuff up on the internet but not much more than that because it is pitiably slow.

YouTube's web UI has recently changed such that it stresses the quad processor thing in this PC now. That needs an upgrade but then you can do that with a PC more easily.

Other thing: portability. I have a Samsung phone after saying I'd never buy anything made by Samsung again. The thing itself is quite good (most especially performance, it's very quick) but it does suffer from that issue that all Samsung things seem to have - it looks like it ought to have been much cheaper than it was because it appears to be made entirely of brittle plastic even if it is nicely flanged at the edges. It does not "look or feel like quality" and if dropped I suspect it would fragment into many pieces.

If you are buying to a price point,  then I got one of these for £200 and it gets more use than our ipad,  it is basically designed from the ground up for consuming media so good screen, great speakers (Harman Kardon x4) and pretty reasonable overall specification for the price.   My only minor gripe is the position of the power button which is quite easy to press accidentally..  apart from that,  no regrets at all.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-MediaPad-Lite-Tablet-IPS-Display/dp/B0723B9F8C

51DzNOyFzgL._SY355_.jpg

If money no object then probably an ipad pro or a surface.

Also, a word about android..  my experience has probably been better than with apple. I don't think I've had any nags to schedule any annoying updates etc,  support for Chromecast etc all works great..  broadly it is all pretty well polished with all the same apps as available on apple,  I guess the only thing you would miss is facetime (if you use it).

Edited by Libspero