DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

The rent is too god damn high

UmBongo

Private rents in the UK seem to be going beyond ridiculous now.

I went out last night for a meal with friends. The bus dropped me into the city centre very early so I went for a walk around the block and walked by an Estate Agents. A familiar property in the window caught my eye. :o It was my previous digs being advertised for rent. I handed the keys back on 5th Jan and nearly 3 months later it's still vacant.

The letting agents advertised it for £675 a month. O.o That's £125 a month more than I was paying between 2015 - 2017 (fortunately the rent never went up). This is a 1 bedroomed coach house style flat thats attached to one other house. Decent sized attic ad garage but the rooms were a bit small. It's been tidied up a little bit...looks like the mould around the bath has been cleaned according to the photo. Or photoshopped out!

When I got home last night I logged onto rightmove and it had just been reduced by £25 to £650. Still a hell of a lot of money to shell out for property suitable for 2 people. My current rent is less than half of this!

Frank Hovis

Sadly I can't see them coming down until we do get a major HPC at which point all the families who have been renting will buy and the rental demand for family properties will collapse.

I know someone who's gone back to work in London. She's early 50s and will be a reasonable temp salary up there (I guess 50 - 60k) and she's not even looked for a flat and just gone for a room in a shared house.

Now I did that when I first worked in London for the same reason of not being able to afford the rent, but I was 21 and on less than £10k.  It has gone daft.

I fear you are right, @Frank Hovis . It's a national scandal imo! I was shelling out 47% of my net income on renting that place. Other tenants pay  higher percentages.

Still...TPTB seem committed to prevent people from trying to save up and do well for themselves. >:(

Wight Flight

When the government are prepared to pay £1,300 per month for a 3 bed shithole, that sets the floor for what someone with no government assistance will have to pay.

Which is bloody criminal.

20 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

I thought bedrooms had to have windows.

3 hours ago, This Time said:

I thought bedrooms had to have windows.

So did I. Are the laws a bit different in Norn Iron?

1 hour ago, UmBongo said:

So did I. Are the laws a bit different in Norn Iron?

Dunno - I do know that this block was almost refused planning permission because the apartments are so small.

Here's the floor plans, no bedroom windows that I can see:

http://thegallerybelfast.com/property-details

However, there are stunning views over a main road, a tescos, and some social housing:

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@54.591264,-5.932922,139.23h,6.46p,1z

• 2 weeks later...

I checked on Rightmove last week and it looks like my old flat has been re-let. It was described as 'immaculate' so i'm guessing the last few months were spent on giving it a damn good sprucing up.

in my local area its 400-435 for a 2 bed terrace,it might sound cheap but bear in mind local wages are low.when i bought my shit hole local rents were 325-350 for a 2 bed terrace,thats roughly 5-6 years ago.then my morgage was 250 and now its 160 soon to be droped to 130 tops. due to overpayments of my morgage.

id concider around here 250-300 a fair rent due to low local wages,or maybe im an idiot .id think 2 young people at 8 quid an hour to be earning roughly 80x 8 quid a week x 4 weeks is rougly 2,600 quid top line then deduct tax.it is cheap in theory the problem occures when kids get born ,then it goes pear shaped ,its got to get worse the futher down south you go.

Wight Flight
On 11/04/2018 at 03:16, stokiescum said:

in my local area its 400-435 for a 2 bed terrace,it might sound cheap but bear in mind local wages are low.when i bought my shit hole local rents were 325-350 for a 2 bed terrace,thats roughly 5-6 years ago.then my morgage was 250 and now its 160 soon to be droped to 130 tops. due to overpayments of my morgage.

id concider around here 250-300 a fair rent due to low local wages,or maybe im an idiot .id think 2 young people at 8 quid an hour to be earning roughly 80x 8 quid a week x 4 weeks is rougly 2,600 quid top line then deduct tax.it is cheap in theory the problem occures when kids get born ,then it goes pear shaped ,its got to get worse the futher down south you go.

2 bed terrace in my area is, at the low end, £1,050 per month.

Bare in mind that minimum wage is the same wherever you are, and shop jobs pay minimum wage nationally.

There are a lot of people round here on minimum wage. God knows how they survive.

BUT - LHA rates are £969 per month for a two bedder so not surprising the rent is so high - which idiot LL would charge less than LHA rate?

Your LHA rate in Stoke is £446 per month. That is £6k per annum difference. 

I would love to see someone decide that the LHA rate was the same across the country - say £500. That would even things up a bit!

One percent
1 minute ago, Cunning Plan said:

2 bed terrace in my area is, at the low end, £1,050 per month.

Bare in mind that minimum wage is the same wherever you are, and shop jobs pay minimum wage nationally.

There are a lot of people round here on minimum wage. God knows how they survive.

BUT - LHA rates are £969 per month for a two bedder so not surprising the rent is so high - which idiot LL would charge less than LHA rate?

Your LHA rate in Stoke is £446 per month. That is £6k per annum difference. 

I would love to see someone decide that the LHA rate was the same across the country - say £500. That would even things up a bit!

Bennies.....

BTW, we had this (not you and I but generally) discussion on here a couple of weeks ago - is it bare or bear?  

Wight Flight
Just now, One percent said:

Bennies.....

BTW, we had this (not you and I but generally) discussion on here a couple of weeks ago - is it bare or bear?  

It is bear - unless you are talking out of your arse.

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Bennies.....

But is it actually a benefit if you cannot possibly survive without it despite working full time - surely it is just an offset of the crap society we have built?

But yes, it is a benefit to the landlord.

One percent
2 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

It is bear - unless you are talking out of your arse.

But is it actually a benefit if you cannot possibly survive without it despite working full time - surely it is just an offset of the crap society we have built?

But yes, it is a benefit to the landlord.

Ta, I find that one incredibly confusing....o.O

Benefit to the landlord and employer - we are subsidising wages...  

Archived