• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

There are no rules for this; what it's about is our perception of time, what is recent, what is old, and how the advance of technology seems to distance ourselves from quite recent history.

Anyway this is what I mean:

• The Falkands War was in 1982, it's a fresh and fairly recently memory for me, but that was 36 years ago.  In 1982 36 years ago was back to 1946 which in 1982 seemed an age away.
  • Roman Britain: people forget quite how long we were under the Roman Empire.  Map it onto a current time frame with the Romans gving up control in 2000.   This would mean that Britain was conquered by Rome in 1600 when Elixzabeth I was on the throne before being ruled for four hundred years, and Julius Caesar first visited in 1500 when Henry VII, the first Tudor monarch, was king. 
  • And what about early Bowie?  Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars played their last gig in 1973; 45 years ago.  And 45 years prior to that was 1928 when Joseph Stalin was launching his first five year plan.

Time comparisons that are: quite interesting.

The age of the great pyramids was further back in history for the Romans, than the Romans are for us.

And the structures at Gobekli Tepe were abandoned further back in history for the pyramid builders, then the pyramid builders are for us.

Adverts on TV with music that appears to have just become available / copyright-free after 25 or 30 years (anyone know which? does it depend?) to be used certainly give an impression of "time behind you". Since I was a bit of a pop-nerd I can place stuff from the 90s quite accurately, usually to the year, and each time I hear a new pop track on an ad, I think "Ah. It's 30 years since that one now".

50 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Adverts on TV with music that appears to have just become available / copyright-free after 25 or 30 years (anyone know which? does it depend?) to be used certainly give an impression of "time behind you". Since I was a bit of a pop-nerd I can place stuff from the 90s quite accurately, usually to the year, and each time I hear a new pop track on an ad, I think "Ah. It's 30 years since that one now".

Nah.  In the UK it's 70 years for a sound recording, plus 70 years from the author's death for the actual score/words.

The reason for the choice of music (80's say), is because that's the age of the people they're targeting.  Ignore the age of the people in the advert -- that's just a manipulation (eg, older people don't buy stuff promoted by old people, they buy stuff that they think is promoted for young people, because the older person 'thinks young' or some such guff).

Another feckin thread to wind me up.

It's like an inverse 'better than life' scenario.

Have just had the in-laws for dinner and have my mother arriving tomorrow for a state visit.

Three days will feel like three months. That is feckin relative time.

2 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

my grandmother was born in 1898

My late mum's late dad was born in 1896. Fought in the 1st world war! He died in 1965. Mum's mum died in 1974 and my Dad lost his mum at a relatively young age in 1956 I think. So I just had one grandparent growing up (paternal grandad). He lived until 2010, died at age 98.

On the relative time thing, it didn't seem very long ago when I started college. It was Sept 1996. 21 years ago! Over half a lifetime away.

25 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Another feckin thread to wind me up.

It's like an inverse 'better than life' scenario.

Have just had the in-laws for dinner and have my mother arriving tomorrow for a state visit.

Three days will feel like three months. That is feckin relative time.

Aak them to move in, you'd feel immortal.

What is time? All I can say is that it’s something that passes moment by moment, hour by hour, day by day and notches up to weeks months and years. We can review and discuss the past with hindsight and speculate about what the future will entail. Sometimes time passes so quickly it can be scary. Sometimes it goes so so slowly it can be painful to experience. 

Time is interesting indeed!

Capitalism, for the majority, means that a day is divided up to a number of hours working for “the man or whoever” so you can pay your living expenses. If you have any money or energy to spare then time is yours to do as you wish.

Sadly, many can’t revel in exploring life because of employers stealing their time on planet Earth plus many aren’t getting paid enough for giving their time.

Interesting. 

Some time ago I'd also realised that the Falklands War was going to be the same distance in time from us as the end of WW2 was during the Falklands War. 

I was born in 1971 but for most of my childhood the Second World War didn't seem that long ago. The First World War felt a bit more 'historic' but even so, as a boy I knew one or two men who had fought in the First World War so again it didn't seem properly ancient. 

its scary when i did littlewoods coupens at 14 i used to visit an old guy from ww1,he always forgot to do his coupon and one day whilst waiting for him to fill it in i looked at his medals and asked him which he was most proud off,he said the 100 yard dash not the others then he said that was there way of finding trench runners.over 12 months he told me the reality of ww1 maybe he lied but i doubt it ,he told me they never took certain people prisoners ie machine gun corps and summery executed many others

Just now, stokiescum said:

its scary when i did littlewoods coupens at 14 i used to visit an old guy from ww1,he always forgot to do his coupon and one day whilst waiting for him to fill it in i looked at his medals and asked him which he was most proud off,he said the 100 yard dash not the others then he said that was there way of finding trench runners.over 12 months he told me the reality of ww1 maybe he lied but i doubt it ,he told me they never took certain people prisoners ie machine gun corps and summery executed many others

When I was about 7 or 8 there used to be an old boy in our church who had missing fingers on one hand. One Sunday morning he caught me looking at his hand and said 'Know what  did that? A German Fokker. Know what a Fokker is?' I nodded solemnly, being a keen war-comics fan. I think he may have been quoting Stan Boardman, however. 

20 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

When I was about 7 or 8 there used to be an old boy in our church who had missing fingers on one hand. One Sunday morning he caught me looking at his hand and said 'Know what  did that? A German Fokker. Know what a Fokker is?' I nodded solemnly, being a keen war-comics fan. I think he may have been quoting Stan Boardman, however. 

i think the best story he ever gave me was after a realy nasty fight they basicly decided to kill everyone they had overun,so they gave the germans 2 choices we will shoot you or cave your dugouts in,so he said the germans came out one by one and they shot them,the last one came out with his hands behind his back holding 2 handgrenades and killed 3 of them,he was blunt and hated war in any form i doubt he was lying

1 minute ago, ashestoashes said:

1970's i had a teacher that lost a leg in a V1 attack and one that had a bit of his tongue cut out by the Japanese 

My kids have teachers who failed their maths gsce.

How the fuck does that work, being a teacher.

23 minutes ago, spygirl said:

im has thick has fuck but both my bosses know im happy to go head to head with them with an iq test,in fact im probably close to the wire with saying they aint proper nurses as they are mental health nurses and not general nurses ,one even said i was lying when i said i gave aromorph in the comunity has they cant ,proved him wrong i could lol.

3 hours ago, spygirl said:

Would be banned in my world. While some people think maths is the only pure form of intelligence and I don’t agree with that, I think ALL teachers should have numerical skills and their language skills should be way above average(for communicating knowledge in different ways). Ffs even chimps can count!