• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Cosmic Apple

Gardening - The War on Moss

First day of Spring, or so it felt like it today. Bunnies out in their run highlighting how much moss is now infesting my lawn and how much of the main lawn is affected. I scarified a few years ago and removed 8 wheelie bin liners of the stuff. Looks like I need to do it again. But what are the best ongoing practices to reduce moss? Soil is peaty and drainage seems to need improving at minimum - thinking of a good forking and raking over sharp sand.

Edited by Cosmic Apple

8 minutes ago, Cosmic Apple said:

First day of Spring, or so it felt like it today. Bunnies out in their run highlighting how much moss is now infesting my lawn and how much of the main lawn is affected. I scarified a few years ago and removed 8 wheelie bin liners of the stuff. Looks like I need to do it again. But what are the best ongoing practices to reduce moss? Soil is peaty and drainage seems to need improving at minimum - thinking of a good forking and raking over sharp sand.

I scarifying every autumn.  didn’t this autumn so will be interesting to see how much moss there is. It took me about four years of a yearly scarify to get on top of the moss. 

I like moss and don’t try to get rid of it. If there’s a lot of moss on grass it gives it a nice springy feel when walking on it. 

Moss is also growing on a lot of the large, but not huge, stones in my garden. I like that too!

Had a fair bit of moss when moved in but a few years of combination of bit of forking, moss killer then scarifying, seeding and top dressing the patches (that white thin fleece material pegged down is fantastic for preventing birds eating all the seed and bringing on the shoots) and lawn feed seems to have done the trick. In fact first day today in the garden and noticed that there was no moss at all. 

Edit - Doubt I have made much difference to soil quality or drainage, just tilted the advantage towards grass - getting the conditions so that it out-competes the moss.

Edited by onlyme

4 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

I like moss and don’t try to get rid of it. If there’s a lot of moss on grass it gives it a nice springy feel when walking on it. 

Moss is also growing on a lot of the large, but not huge, stones in my garden. I like that too!

But it doesn't look as nice and the rabbits won't eat it :)

Do you collect the grass when you mow it, or just leave it? That's one way to reduce it. A low cut and removing everything and burning it is the best way. Scarifying and tilling once a year should be fine, to be honest if your soil is peat based then there probably isn't anything different you can do really.

I use autumn and spring grass feed with moss killer in it, then scarifying it all a few weeks later. My grass looks very nice, but then my soil is clay based.

Moss is usually a symptom. Drainage, shade and compaction can be the problem.

When any issues are sorted out, a yearly aeration and scarify followed by iron treatment will keep it away usually.

9 minutes ago, Reebo said:

Moss is usually a symptom. Drainage, shade and compaction can be the problem.

When any issues are sorted out, a yearly aeration and scarify followed by iron treatment will keep it away usually.

Oddly the worst moss is in the sunny part of the main lawn. Compaction probably a big one as it gets the most traffic.

1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

Why is moss bad?

Looks naff. Rabbits won't eat it.

6 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

Do you collect the grass when you mow it, or just leave it? That's one way to reduce it. A low cut and removing everything and burning it is the best way. Scarifying and tilling once a year should be fine, to be honest if your soil is peat based then there probably isn't anything different you can do really.

I use autumn and spring grass feed with moss killer in it, then scarifying it all a few weeks later. My grass looks very nice, but then my soil is clay based.

Collect. Will just have to keep on top of it. Neglected it for a few years as I got in to other things that sucked up my time.

My 92 yr old neighbour is obsessed with his stripey lawn. Come hell or high water he is mowing his lawn. He runs the machine on it to get the moss up every 2 to 3 months. Think it is monthly in the summer. Then he has a bloke come and dump a load of chemicals on it.

His lawn looks lovely but not an insect goes near it. Frankly I am amazed that he made it to 92 considering all the chemicals he has used. Porton Down has nothing on him.

1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

His lawn looks lovely but not an insect goes near it. Frankly I am amazed that he made it to 92 considering all the chemicals he has used. Porton Down has nothing on him.

There are probably a lot of preservatives in the chemicals he's using.

On 28/03/2018 at 08:09, The Masked Tulip said:

My 92 yr old neighbour is obsessed with his stripey lawn. Come hell or high water he is mowing his lawn. He runs the machine on it to get the moss up every 2 to 3 months. Think it is monthly in the summer. Then he has a bloke come and dump a load of chemicals on it.

I get asked the question, "how do I get the perfect lawn?" quite a lot.

The answer?

Retire.

1 hour ago, Sgt Hartman said:

I get asked the question, "how do I get the perfect lawn?" quite a lot.

The answer?

Retire.

:)

My answer is usually, "I can work you out a bespoke program on monthly direct debit"

:P

7 minutes ago, Reebo said:

:)

My answer is usually, "I can work you out a bespoke program on monthly direct debit"

:P

This is definately a better answer. :D

Lawncare is like alchemy to me, I leave it to those, like yourself, who know what they are doing.

On 30/03/2018 at 16:46, Chewing Grass said:

Here is a picture of mine, I quite like the moss as it gives it a lovely colour and texture as well as a bouncy feel underfoot or bum.

20180330_164400.thumb.jpg.1a7cbb04f8a4b308eee07814be968836.jpg

I'll see your quite a bit of moss and raise you...

Admittedly the worst spot.

Obliterated it on Sunday, spent half a day on the main lawn area so it now looks like its been subject to a rugby match :) A session with the lawn feed/moss killer next and in a few weeks another raking to remove the remaining dead moss. Then will see if I need to reseed and add top soil.

Still got the front lawn and some smaller areas to do :(

IMG_20180326_181709.jpg

You've got miles more junior dandelions than me, I don't seem to get them at all but do get rather nice daisies with crimson pink flashes/highlights.

The daisies put me off mowing the lawn as I feel guilty about chopping their heads off.

I get serious lawn envy, I can't wait to retire and mow my lawn 3x a week.

Getting rid of the moss and thatch is key, here is my lawn. I scarified it last autumn, it's coming up well but still needs work.  (the longer patch is the crocuses that shouldn't be cut down just yet)

house-garden.jpg

28 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I get serious lawn envy, I can't wait to retire and mow my lawn 3x a week.

Getting rid of the moss and thatch is key, here is my lawn. I scarified it last autumn, it's coming up well but still needs work.  (the longer patch is the crocuses that shouldn't be cut down just yet)

house-garden.jpg

:o There is a nasty bald patch in the foreground.

1 hour ago, Chewing Grass said:

You've got miles more junior dandelions than me, I don't seem to get them at all but do get rather nice daisies with crimson pink flashes/highlights.

The daisies put me off mowing the lawn as I feel guilty about chopping their heads off.

I'm not sure they are dandys. Maybe a relative. They came in with vigor last year as we had so little grass growth (I mowed a handful of times last year). Rabbits eat them down to the ground when their hutch is placed over them though, so I'm hoping that and mowing more regularly this year will keep them at bay.

17 hours ago, Cosmic Apple said:

I'm not sure they are dandys. Maybe a relative. They came in with vigor last year as we had so little grass growth (I mowed a handful of times last year). Rabbits eat them down to the ground when their hutch is placed over them though, so I'm hoping that and mowing more regularly this year will keep them at bay.

Yep they are dandelions, can tell by the leaf shape. Broadleaf weeds are easy to get rid of, just make sure there is moss/weedkiller mixed into the grass fertiliser.