• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Charity starts at home for the MSM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5543079/Celebrities-paid-5k-appear-charity-specials-Catchphrase.html

Game shows regularly run celebrity charity editions where famous faces compete to win money for their chosen cause.

However it claimed that the celebrity contestants who appeared on the ITV show Catchphrase are thought to have been paid up to £5,000.

Household names such as Jonathan Ross, Catherine Tyldesley and Jimmy Carr were allegedly paid for taking part in a celebrity versions of the programme.

Posted (edited)

Surely this is 'old news'?

I remember the fuss when this forum's favourite mathematician was paid £5k to win £1k for her nominated charity...

A quick Google turns up this link, so it must be true...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/news/1067943/charitys-1k-as-mp-diane-got-5k-to-appear/

Edited by unregistered_guest
Link didn't work..

I gave up on the piece because of adverts popping up but I thought this was fairly standard rather than the celebs asking for it, rather they have to specifically ask not to be paid.

Terry Wogan basically said this for Children in Need; it's just another working day for them and they're not demanding a fee.

He was reported to be the only celebrity paid for his participation in Children in Need, having received a fee every year since 1980 (£9,065 in 2005). Wogan stated that he would have done it for nothing and that he "never asked for a fee". Wogan donated his BBC fees to the charity.

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I feel rotten now. Just had a knock on the door from a chugger for a UK charity - CEO earns 150K a year - asking me for cash.

I declined but the chap was insistent. So I asked what they did locally, why the offices need to be in expensive London and how much the CEO earns. Charity is based in London. Chugger had a nice pamplet detailed how much of every pound goes X, Y and Z. Nice graph but all clever stuff to get people signing up to direct debits, etc, whilst not realising that CEO earns 150K, etc.

Problem is the chugger had some disability of his own - some speech problem and one eye was looking at me whilst the other one was looking at 90 degrees.

Am I right to feel rotten? Or are the charities now wheeling out chuggers with disabilities to get the sympathy vote? Had to close the door on the guy as he started to get a bit het up. Didn't like doing that to someone with obvious difficulties but then is it all designed to make us feel rotten?

I always say yes then show them my Norwegian bank debit card, they just leave cause they don't know what do.

I was seeing charity chugger and she was saying she had only signed one person up after a day on the high street pestering people. I don't see how it can add up financially. 

Maybe ten years ago chuggers were effective but these days I'd imagine it's a waste of time for charities.

1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I feel rotten now. Just had a knock on the door from a chugger for a UK charity - CEO earns 150K a year - asking me for cash.

I declined but the chap was insistent. So I asked what they did locally, why the offices need to be in expensive London and how much the CEO earns. Charity is based in London. Chugger had a nice pamplet detailed how much of every pound goes X, Y and Z. Nice graph but all clever stuff to get people signing up to direct debits, etc, whilst not realising that CEO earns 150K, etc.

Problem is the chugger had some disability of his own - some speech problem and one eye was looking at me whilst the other one was looking at 90 degrees.

Am I right to feel rotten? Or are the charities now wheeling out chuggers with disabilities to get the sympathy vote? Had to close the door on the guy as he started to get a bit het up. Didn't like doing that to someone with obvious difficulties but then is it all designed to make us feel rotten?

I don’t think you should feel rotten.

A couple of weeks ago I had a charity door knocker on behalf of the Red Cross. IMO the fairly young person displayed displayed signs of having living disabilities himself. Not wanting to be unkind to him I just said I’d love to donate but had no spare money rather than my usual sneering and cynical challenge of telling them to ask their CEO and office back up to donate because they were better off than me or the chugger.

Sending people with obvious disabilities to knock on people’s doors makes me loathe most charities even more and makes me resolve to keep on giving them nothing due to their despicable and desperate modus operandi.

1 minute ago, Van Lady said:

I don’t think you should feel rotten.

A couple of weeks ago I had a charity door knocker on behalf of the Red Cross. IMO the fairly young person displayed displayed signs of having living disabilities himself. Not wanting to be unkind to him I just said I’d love to donate but had no spare money rather than my usual sneering and cynical challenge of telling them to ask their CEO and office back up to donate because they were better off than me or the chugger.

Sending people with obvious disabilities to knock on people’s doors makes me loathe most charities even more and makes me resolve to keep on giving them nothing due to their despicable and desperate modus operandi.

My go to line is that I’m the cleaner. No matter who is at the door and what they want. It shuts down the discussion immediately. 

It also also confuses friends.  xD

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

My go to line is that I’m the cleaner. No matter who is at the door and what they want. It shuts down the discussion immediately. 

It also also confuses friends.  xD

Visualising @One percent in a french maid's outfit. I wore mine today when I cleaned my oven.

Just now, One percent said:

Do you also have a feather duster?  As some would call it, a tickling stick. :o

Yes, I have one of those but it was no use on oven gunk. Had to resort to nasty chemicals and a packet of brillo pads. Ashamed to admit the last time I cleaned the oven.

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Visualising @One percent in a french maid's outfit. I wore mine today when I cleaned my oven.

We’re available for hire for “household jobs”. OP as French maid and I’m known as Mistress Helena............xD

19 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

I was seeing charity chugger and she was saying she had only signed one person up after a day on the high street pestering people. I don't see how it can add up financially. 

Maybe ten years ago chuggers were effective but these days I'd imagine it's a waste of time for charities.

Well, as the income goes down the cut to the chugger company goes up.  It is at least 12 months donations go to the chugger company -- so £20 a month is 8 hours x £10 to the chugger and the rest to the company (wages:overhead of 1:2 is definitely okay for a company).

8 minutes ago, dgul said:

Well, as the income goes down the cut to the chugger company goes up.  It is at least 12 months donations go to the chugger company -- so £20 a month is 8 hours x £10 to the chugger and the rest to the company (wages:overhead of 1:2 is definitely okay for a company).

Sounds like charities are filling in as job creation schemes - get the public to pay for young people to stand around on the streets under the guise of charity work.