• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Chewing Grass

Efficient use of your black wheelie bin - getting the most out of it

Post reminded me that my Council prefers to call our black bins, GREY bins! So far up their own politically correct arses!

Not such a pain for me, though a bigger bin does allow occasional clearances of junk and things collected that might be useful one day!

Make your own compactor. Cut a piece of ply just shy of the size of the base of the bin. Drill a hole in the middle and tie a rope through it. Thread large lifting weight(s) through the rope and place over bags as you put them in the bin. Reckon you will get at least a third more in the bin.

9 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

The screwdriver is your friend.

Thats what I do, strategic dismantling.

5 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Make your own compactor. Cut a piece of ply just shy of the size of the base of the bin. Drill a hole in the middle and tie a rope through it. Thread large lifting weight(s) through the rope and place over bags as you put them in the bin. Reckon you will get at least a third more in the bin.

Have you made one?

12 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Thats what I do, strategic dismantling.

Have you made one?

No, but pretty sure it will work. You can manually squish down bags but only practically from the top (which compresses the top bags but not the bottom ones so much). Sustained pressure (even if not a great amount) will push air out of the bags and compress the contents.  Could experiment with a breeze block or two, similar effect but difficult to reach if only a bag or two at the bottom, hence the weight on a rope! 

Edited by onlyme

24 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

I have a bottle bank at the end of one of my driveways. :)

You have more than one driveway? How many exactly?

Our black/grey bin was too wee so I phoned the council and moaned, they sent us a bigger one. Still fill it sometimes, usually manage ok though. 

Black bin, maggots do a very good job of all the animal entrails, and we have produce little solid waste. Usually sometime during the summer the bin men will return the bin to the wrong house, so periodically we get a clean bin much to the GFs embarrassment. One year we saw a neighbour in a full hamzat suit hosing our bin as the GF said to me 'you can't let them do that'. So after they'd cleaned it I went and apologised and asked "did you get our bin my mistake?"

All veg is composted and I have a miracle bin composter that in 8 years has never seemed to fill up, worms do a very good job.

Brown bin is full of freshwater for flushing my 2.5hp Suzuki dinghy outboard, which I'm very grateful for.

Hope nobody here is my neighbour :ph34r:

32 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

You have more than one driveway? How many exactly?

Our black/grey bin was too wee so I phoned the council and moaned, they sent us a bigger one. Still fill it sometimes, usually manage ok though. 

Just the two. Quite handy having two totally different postcodes.

One of these in an outbuilding you would probably need an engine crane or forklift to put it in the wheelie bin after though it compacts it a hell of a lot questions might be asked by the local council if the bin lift on the wagon keeps mysteriously bursting a hose outside your house. I take the sacks to work BTW and put them in an even bigger compactor called a Pakawaste Powerkrush which I can't find a video of but it basically rams it into a big hook loader skip which is unsuitably large for domestic applications - the Orwak needs a surprising amount of ceiling height to empty. 

Edited by SNACR

27 minutes ago, SNACR said:

One of these in an outbuilding you would probably need an engine crane or forklift to put it in the wheelie bin after though it compacts it a hell of a lot questions might be asked by the local council if the bin lift on the wagon keeps mysteriously bursting a hose outside your house. I take the sacks to work BTW and put them in an even bigger compactor called a Pakawaste Powerkrush which I can't find a video of but it basically rams it into a big hook loader skip which is unsuitably large for domestic applications - the Orwak needs a surprising amount of ceiling height to empty. 

That's how they get rid of waste on submarines. They compact it into a tin then jettison it.

Bloke down the road has had a skip in his drive for 3 months and blocks half the road with his cars.

Think I will throw some alien stuff in it as a form of encouragement for him to crack on with whatever he is not doing very fast.