• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Frank Hovis

Really odd things that became accepted

Totally random subject and I'm sure more will come to me; but here's one for starters:

Why did Winston Churchill go around wearing a boiler suit?

Unless you are actually undertaking manual labour they are impractical because of the need to take them off to go to the toilet and they are basically workwear which even the people who wore them for work would take off at the first opportunity.  I put mine own when crawling under the car and take it off when I've finished.

Churchill was never a manual labourer and was extremely wealthy.  So why wear a working man's equivalent of a onesie?

Siren_suit_05.jpg

2f2ef314c7bf359a8ddba03e02315155.jpg

The Siren Suit - 

http://turnbullandasser.co.uk/all-for-onesie-the-siren-suit

During World War II, Churchill became well known for his 'siren suits', or, as he preferred to call them, 'romper suits'. These were a one-piece garment, usually worn over everyday clothing, with pleats in the back for ease of movement, breast pockets (convenient for keeping a cigar or two) and a belt. They were, in fact, a modified boiler suit, lent a touch of class by Winnie adopting it. The general public soon followed suit, as it were.

The wartime appeal of the siren suit was that it could quickly be pulled over whatever clothing the owner was wearing when, as they did often in 1939-41, the air-raid sirens sounded and the shelter beckoned. They were particularly popular with women keen to protect their modesty. But where did Churchill get the idea of adopting such a humble item of clothing? Probably from watching bricklayers (building walls was one of his hobbies) on his Chartwell Estate.

I can proffer some boiler suit related advice. If, like me, you make the mistake of buying the Dickies Redhawk style be sure to cut off the zip pulls, with a pair of pliers, as otherwise they look like nipple tassles.

wd4839-dickies-redhawk-zip-front-coveral

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, SNACR said:

I can proffer some boiler suit related advice. If, like me, you make the mistake of buying the Dickies Redhawk style be sure to cut off the zip pulls, with a pair of pliers, as otherwise they look like nipple tassles.

wd4839-dickies-redhawk-zip-front-coveral

No SNACky - they ARE fucking nipple-tassles...!!!

Which is why - during the game of "pocket-billiards" documented in your photograph - Chris Eubank Junior has clearly switched to south-paw...!

;)

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

Here's another one: transexuals.

The idea that a woman can become a man or a man can become woman just because they think they should be.

And its recognition in law.

I really like cats and admire their lifestyles; but I can't "become" a cat any more than I can "become" a woman.  Though I can just pretend that I am one.

Can you post pictures of yourself in the cat outfit?  :)

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

The idea that a woman can become a man or a man can become woman just because they think they should be.

I really like cats and admire their lifestyles; but I can't "become" a cat any more than I can "become" a woman.  Though I can just pretend that I am one.

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Can you post pictures of yourself in the cat outfit?  :)

I don't even have a cat; mainly because I would need to replace a glass door and leave the heating on when I'm out.

It's the sleeping for 18 hours a day and then just mucking about and eating that appeals rather than the cat costume.

7 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Change your name to Eartha Kitt honey - and then tell me that ain't so....!

;)

XYY

21 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I don't even have a cat; mainly because I would need to replace a glass door and leave the heating on when I'm out.

It's the sleeping for 18 hours a day and then just mucking about and eating that appeals rather than the cat costume.

I just used to lock my cats outside when I wasn't there.