• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

North South "divide"

I did have a whinge about this on the school thread - northern headmaster moaning about how luxurious it is "in the south".   He needs to try looking at a map.

Well here's the productivity map which is a good indicator of wages:

Cornwall-has-the-worst-productivity-in-t

Well there's your "south": one block of green with outliers in Bristol and south Lancashire and a surrounding band of slightly less well off counties.  With the poorest regions being in the Midlands, and the South West with Cornwall poorest.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/stark-warning-over-cornwalls-economy-1385133

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I did have a whinge about this on the school thread - northern headmaster moaning about how luxurious it is "in the south".   He needs to try looking at a map.

Well there's your "south": one block of green with outliers in Bristol and south Lancashire and a surrounding band of slightly less well off counties.  With the poorest regions being in the Midlands, and the South West with Cornwall poorest.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/stark-warning-over-cornwalls-economy-1385133

Cornwall: Agriculture and fishing, two occupations that claim to never have any money

Joking aside, The Southwest is blighted by poor communications and good scenery that both favour a rural idyll, which favours second home owners from the green region together with all the societal ills those cunts bring

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

Well ..... in defense .... a lot of the London produciity stats are skewed by

1) People travelling into London.

2) Duff measurement of London i.e. financial services productivy. At best, its just a measurement of economic value add. Which sounds good until you realise that that there is a huge sub/back stopped with the UK's economy - as we found out, as we were on the hook for the massive fuckup in 2008 (and still ongoing).

Until they improve the productiivty statsto reflect this risk than any claim about London being 'Great'! is just BS. The numbers are gamed.

Speaking as someone with a southern / midlands accent living in the north of the UK,  I would say that the divide definitely exists.   I think they think I'm posh or up my own ass or something  :ph34r:

Of the close friends I've made in the North,  most have either been foreign / part- foreign or originally from other parts of the UK.

That's not to say that Northerners aren't friendly..   but to be "close friends" seems to require some sort of right of passage  (or perhaps its the way I smell?! o.O). The exception for me is Yorkshire..   people there seem genuinely friendly to outsiders anyone.