• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Great Guy

Manchester Fire Service

I'm watching the news. The fire brigade is getting criticised for not going into the arena for two hours because they thought a gun man was on the loose. Seemingly one firefighter is furious as he wasn't allowed to go into the arena.

It's really a case of concentrating on a minor story while ignoring the big story.... Which is "why the fuck are we allowing people that hate us into the country?". How the emergency services handled the bombing is relatively minor IMHO... 

3 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

I'm watching the news. The fire brigade is getting criticised for not going into the arena for two hours because they thought a gun man was on the loose. Seemingly one firefighter is furious as he wasn't allowed to go into the arena.

It's really a case of concentrating on a minor story while ignoring the big story.... Which is "why the fuck are we allowing people that hate us into the country?". How the emergency services handled the bombing is relatively minor IMHO... 

The police were already there looking at the aftermath wondering why the FB hadn't turned up.

Ill go out on a limb on this.

All those highly paid public sector nanagers had a system in place, which they spent many hours going over and over and over.

But they did not test it properly, or have anyone with any sense i.e. a non public sector manager, walk thru it.

So the FB crews turned up but were not allowed in as they were waiting for the magic go ahead from the emergency managers, whod have gone home.

52 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Yes.  Is no one else thinking but If there were no bombs/sky fairy worshipers trying kill us then the emergency services wouldn't have to attend bombings or am I missing something?

When I think fire brigade all I think of is driving through a smallish town in summer a few years ago, getting lost off the main road, driving past the fire station and seeing about 15 of them out front lazying around on deck chairs getting a tan and eating ice creams.

There's something seriously fucking wrong with that service. No wonder they have about 10,000 applications for every vacancy and anecdotally aren't held in very high regard by the other services (police, ambulance)

Edited by gibbon

22 minutes ago, gibbon said:

When I think fire brigade all I think of is driving through a smallish town in summer a few years ago, getting lost off the main road, driving past the fire station and seeing about 15 of them out front lazying around on deck chairs getting a tan and eating ice creams.

There's something seriously fucking wrong with that service. No wonder they have about 10,000 applications for every vacancy and anecdotally aren't held in very high regard by the other services (police, ambulance)

Fire service was staffed in having coal fires and cooking chips in a chip pan.

2 hours ago, gibbon said:

Yes.

I saw a programme last night called the job interview

A fireman on 4 on 4 off rota wanted a job as an RAC patrolman on his days off

He wanted to work fire at night and RAC in the day.

The RAC were not stupid they gave him the job on condition he quit the fire service (he did because he said he could earn more money) 

I've said it before

They turn up mob handed with some 5 or 6 appliances from stations all over the county to a one man motorbike crash etc 

It is about justifying their budgets "look at all the calls we attended last year" etc etc

It's time to stick 2 guys in a small sprinter van for most jobs, and make sure the nightshift are awake and gainfully employed throughout the shift, then see if anyone is doing a 2nd day job then? 

90% of their work now entails attending a minor car crash with every hand on deck. 

As an aside with this revelation about manchester being made public lets have the truth on Grenfell and at what point was the order given to abandon the tower? 

Edited by WorkingPoor

if there wasn't a fire then I dare say they would have just got in the way.  We don't really know for sure that wasn't the real reason for a delay at the time either.

I mean stories about the involvement of emergency services can change overnight - like the Salisbury air ambulance story.

Edited by twocents

4 minutes ago, twocents said:

if there wasn't a fire then I dare say they would have just got in the way.  We son't really know for sure that wasn't the real reason for a delay at the time either.

I mean stories about the involvement of emergency services can change overnight - like the Salisbury air ambulance story.

Yes true and they can't really do evac in fire engines

What was needed were lots of Ambulances and paramedics

It does beg the question though: at what point is a civil service like the fire brigade put before civillians? 

I know they are not police or military but don't they have some sort of oath? to enter danger? 

Edited by WorkingPoor

3 minutes ago, WorkingPoor said:

Yes true and they can't really do evac in fire engines

What was needed were lots of Ambulances and paramedics

It does beg the question though: at what point is a civil service like the fire brigade put before civillians? 

I know they are not police or military but don't they have some sort of oath? 

It's a good point and brings to mind the French police officer In Trebes who exchanged places with a female hostage and paid with his life.

1 minute ago, twocents said:

It's a good point and brings to mind the French police officer In Trebes who exchanged places with a female hostage and paid with his life.

I think all these services have some sort of oath like "to protect & serve" etc 

Seems H&S is getting in the way of this its even creeping into the millitary now. 

I don't think that there was a fire so why would they be wanted there?

Also, the fire appliances would possibly be needed elsewhere, Manchester does not stop because of one incident.

I think that the criticism is overblown in order to divert attention away from the RoP.

11 minutes ago, Byron said:

I don't think that there was a fire so why would they be wanted there?

Also, the fire appliances would possibly be needed elsewhere, Manchester does not stop because of one incident.

I think that the criticism is overblown in order to divert attention away from the RoP.

They had a special "SKED" unit which is a stretcher team designed to rapidy extract wounded from hot zones / terrorist attacks

Advertising hoardings were used by rescuers in the end.

There was 700 wounded and 22 dead

Edited by WorkingPoor

4 hours ago, WorkingPoor said:

They had a special "SKED" unit which is a stretcher team designed to rapidy extract wounded from hot zones / terrorist attacks

Advertising hoardings were used by rescuers in the end.

There was 700 wounded and 22 dead

Thank you.  That explains what was escaping me about the story.

To echo some comments above it's a doss over-paid job. 

For people like paramedics I have total respect - just think what they see day after day.  Ditto police who ate regularly exposed to danger although obviously not the politically correct snowflakes of the Met.

The times I have seen firemen out on a "shout" it resembles the smoking area outside a pub, several middle aged men stood around chatting.  And as I've mentioned before retained firefighters down here set gorse fires themselves during quiet times so they get paid for the call out.

It's long overdue some radical reform but seems to have some privileged status.

Yes, complaining about not being able get a HGV class 2 fire appliance down a residential street to a chip pan fire? 

courting the "Our Furst Responders" crowd?

Nah mate, a mercedes sprinter for you with A.N other in the passenger seat. 

Do away with shift work and overtime premiums 

Staff it 12hr nights & days £9 p/hr all hrs rate.

Plenty will take it. 

I suspect it's one of those civil services where the older crowd start looking for an invalid pension or an early retirement on health / mental grounds 

hence top brass are reluctant to give them a mass opportunity 

The problem with reform is there are still so many people who don’t have a balanced rational view of the fire service. And dare I say, in my anecdotal experience, many of them are women who see firemen as some some of holy amalgam of Chippendale and saint. I’ve had many a woman at work violently verbally disagree when I have voiced any criticism of the way the fire service is run.

4 minutes ago, Melchett said:

The problem with reform is there are still so many people who don’t have a balanced rational view of the fire service. And dare I say, in my anecdotal experience, many of them are women who see firemen as some some of holy amalgam of Chippendale and saint. I’ve had many a woman at work violently verbally disagree when I have voiced any criticism of the way the fire service is run.

Are they not?  

I used to teach firemen. At one point in this, I found myself, with the help of a couple of hunks, having to demonstrate how to put the protective uniform/gear on.  

I still have fantasies about that. :)

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

Are they not?  

I used to teach firemen. At one point in this, I found myself, with the help of a couple of hunks, having to demonstrate how to put the protective uniform/gear on.  

I still have fantasies about that. :)

Wellllll...... might as well enjoy your job if you can, I say! xD

ETA maybe you should write those fantasies down and try to publish them? Fireman pron, could be the next big self published phenomenon.

Edited by Melchett