• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Libspero

Plastic Attack

Good or Bad  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Good or Bad?

• Good.. we need more direct action against plastic waste
    • Bad.. consumers should drive market demand not pressure groups
    • Don't really care
    • We should just petition China to start taking our plastic waste again so everything can go back to how it was

This story interested me so thought I'd share it..

Some local campaigners in Bath have taken to going into the supermarket en-masse and stripping off all the plastic packaging at the tills leaving a big pile of waste for the staff to clear up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-43559636

_100590026_plastic5.jpg

I wonder what the forum think of this,  lazy vandalism or a good point well made?

For my own part I don't understand why they feel the need to do this when the option to buy plastic-free is available at every local market..  but others may see it more positively.

Posted (edited)

I've been doing that on a personal basis for years with all items in unecessary blister packs. Always unpack at the till and leave the packing.

For example, batteries, no reason why they couldn't be in a tamper proof cardboard box like a fag packet, and it doesn't need a plastic wrap, just a seal.

Edited by Hopeful

Posted (edited)

Notice this is being reported at the same time as the government are announcing plans to tax plastic bottles up to 22p unless returned to designated re-cycling points..    

Edit:  I also see 1 Percent beat me to this topic by 30 mins xD

Edited by Libspero

2 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Notice this is being reported at the same time as the government are announcing plans to tax plastic bottles up to 22p unless returned to designated re-cycling points..

If they are going to tax consumers to help recycling rates then they should also force companies to use less plastic in packaging. If it can be packaged in cardboard then the company should be taxed for using plastic unnecessarily.

It really defies belief that after decades of plastic waste targets for councils, and all the money thrown at “environmental concerns” that it can’t almost all be repurposed (even if just cleanly burned for energy generation).

It does make you think that no matter how much time and money the government get they’ll not deal with it, so a consumer revolt would appear to be the only way.

I think it's a reasonable tactic to highlight unnecessary packaging. I get my fruit and veg via a veg box scheme. Comes in a cardboard box, I give last weeks back to the delivery man and they are re-used. Most of the veg is loose in the box, what isn't is in paper bags, which in my view keeps the stuff fresher anyway, no need for a load of plastic wrapping. My first Saturday job was working in a green grocers, we put all the produce into paper bags and most of our customers had those little wheeled shopping trolleys (I've seen more of them about recently, maybe they are coming back) so didn't need a plastic bag.

5 minutes ago, Wahoo said:

Plastic waste in our country is minimal and controlled. This proposal will likely be a back-door tax for the Govt.

Most plastic in the ocean comes from other shithole places around the World. Are those polluting crapholes going to face some sort of controls too?

I don't think it is minimal in this country but I do take your point about other places. It needs a concerted international effort or western countries start slapping tariffs on products wrapped in plastic which are imported from the likes of China.

23 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

I think it's a reasonable tactic to highlight unnecessary packaging. I get my fruit and veg via a veg box scheme. Comes in a cardboard box, I give last weeks back to the delivery man and they are re-used. Most of the veg is loose in the box, what isn't is in paper bags, which in my view keeps the stuff fresher anyway, no need for a load of plastic wrapping. My first Saturday job was working in a green grocers, we put all the produce into paper bags and most of our customers had those little wheeled shopping trolleys (I've seen more of them about recently, maybe they are coming back) so didn't need a plastic bag.

If I win the lottery I may join a veg box scheme; their prices are extortionate.

There was one we were encouraged to sign up for at work and quite a few did, it cost more than double the equivalent at Aldi / Lidl and they had someone driving around the workplaces in a van do it wasn't energy efficient either.

Thankfully it seems to have died a death. Not enough mug punters probably.

35 minutes ago, Wahoo said:

Plastic waste in our country is minimal and controlled. This proposal will likely be a back-door tax for the Govt.

Most plastic in the ocean comes from other shithole places around the World. Are those polluting crapholes going to face some sort of controls too?

That’s not my experience of UK waters. We have to do our part. 

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Wahoo said:

Admittedly, we receive a lot, but our UK contribution is not minimal

Unless our plastic waste is incinereated, as much of our plastic waste will end up in the sea as that of anybody else's from any other country.

Edited by Hopeful

54 minutes ago, Wahoo said:

Exactly, just like antibiotics abuse - don’t lecture us, look to the shithole countries.

48 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

I don't think it is minimal in this country but I do take your point about other places. It needs a concerted international effort or western countries start slapping tariffs on products wrapped in plastic which are imported from the likes of China.

That would be a better approach, rather than targeting the end-user. Developed nations need something similar to the Paris Agreement for unnecessary plastic usage.

1 minute ago, OurDayWillCome said:

Exactly, just like antibiotics abuse - don’t lecture us, look to the shithole countries.

In the case of antibiotics look to the farming and chemical industries where antibiotics are liberally sloshed about.  So I resent public information adverts lecturing me:

When antibiotics are used on farm animals, the preferred delivery method is often via the livestock’s food and water supplies. However, this can mean too much is used, and the excess is sluiced away into fields or waterways or found in slurry. This allows the antibiotic agents to escape into the natural environment, with unpredictable effects.

Antibiotic resistance is also being spread through the facilities where the drugs are manufactured. Erik Solheim, the UN’s environment chief, drew attention to one example in the city of Patancheru near Hyderabad in India, where one facility treats wastewater from 90 drug manufacturers every day. The discharge from these processes is released into a local stream, which in turn feeds many rivers. Tests of the discharged water have recently revealed that the concentration in the treated wastewater of ciprofloxacin, a vital broad-spectrum antibiotic, was strong enough to treat 44,000 people.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/dec/05/over-use-of-antibiotics-in-farming-is-a-major-new-threat-to-human-health-says-un

(apologies for guardian link)

28 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

If I win the lottery I may join a veg box scheme; their prices are extortionate.

There was one we were encouraged to sign up for at work and quite a few did, it cost more than double the equivalent at Aldi / Lidl and they had someone driving around the workplaces in a van do it wasn't energy efficient either.

Thankfully it seems to have died a death. Not enough mug punters probably.

It is expensive,  however the produce lasts much longer so I don't throw any away. I find Lidl veg alright if you want to eat it within a couple of days so ok if you are within easy distance and can do a few trips a week. 

Just now, Dipsy said:

It is expensive,  however the produce lasts much longer so I don't throw any away. I find Lidl veg alright if you want to eat it within a couple of days so ok if you are within easy distance and can do a few trips a week. 

Good point Dipsy.  I have a lengthy commute and pass all the major supermarkets although I need to do a diversion to include Asda and Tesco.  So frequent shopping is an incidental for me but I can see that it would be an inconvenience for others.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Wahoo said:

I lived for a while in a town in the Himalayas and to my surprise, the whole district was 'plastic free' due to the amount of waste generated (which put off tourists, because the Indians just dumped it all over the beauty spots). Everything in shops was wrapped in newspaper and shopkeepers had ingenious ways of making heavy duty containers out of folded paper. All bottled water was in glass bottles on deposit or you filled your own up from a purified supply in shops. It was surprising how quickly I got used to it.

Edited by Austin Allegro

1 hour ago, Dipsy said:

They're known as 'wally-trollies' and are popular with the frugal-living, semi-hipster set. Lots of threads about them on Money Saving Expert. 

It is just another way of getting people to feel good without actually doing anything, when the actual problem of the west is rampant consumerism.

37 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

People could shop at the greengrocers and the butchers and the bakers. Where they'll get a lot less plastic.

Why don't they?

Awkward parking, awkward opening hours,  (perceived) cost.

4 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Awkward parking, awkward opening hours,  (perceived) cost.

Mention it on here before, but that's the issue for me and I suspect most people. 

I have a butcher, baker, fishmonger and greengrocer within a 3 minute walk, hardly ever go in them because they don't open when I'm not at work.