• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Chewing Grass

Bargain Booze - Bargain Bust

2 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

No money to pay the tax man.

How do you neglect to put money aside for the tax man?

I was told by someone who went for a job there that they wanted you to be "self-employed" ... 

It takes an extra special moron to fuck up a stackem high booze operation.

I mean, pick your margin, set up on a slum estate.

Should be shooting fish in a barrel rather than both feet.

11 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

How do you neglect to put money aside for the tax man?

I was told by someone who went for a job there that they wanted you to be "self-employed" ... 

You get a clever accountant who turns out to be dumb as fuck.

As a consumer at the "bottom-end" of the alcohol market, I can succinctly sum-up why this company was doomed from the start.

Every corner-shop owner in this land of ours knows that you have to give your very best customers - the plonkies - a sufficient line of credit to remain among your list of very best customers.

And that involves getting to know more about them through actual human interaction - rather than via any computerised credit-scores. Of which theirs are among the lowest of low anyway...!

But once you take the savvy local manager who knows his/her piss-heads very well - and more importantly, how often they settle their bill - out of the equation, then the quicker your business is fucked.

Selling cheap drink to people who only ever pay cash will never be a sustainable business model...

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man

30 minutes ago, dgul said:

It isn't a tax thing.  They've taken on too much debt to fund an expansion for a future that didn't work out.  The tax is just the straw.

The took on load of stores from P&H, that and possibly less competition int he wholesale market has eroded competition and margins too.

32 minutes ago, onlyme said:

The took on load of stores from P&H, that and possibly less competition int he wholesale market has eroded competition and margins too.

Bollocks.

They valued the snazzy spreadsheets and "Power-points" of a bunch of spivs above the vast experience of their people at local level.

They had a captive market - cheap booze - and they blew it.

Fucktards the bastard lot of them....

XYY

I suppose it's not like alkies have suddenly started buying their Tennent's Super online.

Although if you look at the Amazon page their algorithm for related sponsored products seems to have accidentally hit its target.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tennents-Super-440ml-1760g/dp/B004AV8V4C

Spoiler

In case you can't be arsed to click the link they're suggesting customers of Tennent's Super might also like to buy large bottles of extra strong super glue

Edited by SNACR

8 minutes ago, SNACR said:

I suppose it's not like alkies have suddenly started buying their Tennent's Super online.

Although if you look at the Amazon page their algorithm for related sponsored products seems to have accidentally hit its target.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tennents-Super-440ml-1760g/dp/B004AV8V4C

Is it just me, or that quite pricey? 4 cans of strong lager for 15 quid.

I'm consuming a bottle of real ale that was part of of a '4 for £6' deal from Tesco.

10 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

Is it just me, or that quite pricey? 4 cans of strong lager for 15 quid.

I'm consuming a bottle of real ale that was part of of a '4 for £6' deal from Tesco.

Perhaps delivery to a bus shelter, by drone's, included.

1 minute ago, SNACR said:

Perhaps delivery to a bus shelter, by drone's, included.

You have just tapped directly into my very soul there SNACky.

Do I still get my "divvy" points if I order from the Co-op...?

XYY