• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
JackieO

Finding a good builder

I got a company to come round over a fucking week ago now.

The bloke that came round seemed ok enough but then was not responding to messages and was like sorry I wasnt available for this and that reason.

He promised a quote on Monday that did not come through until this morning but....

the quote omitted some building work that should have been included in the quote sooo...

I send a email saying What about the building work needed?

No response.

So I phoned the guy who said another guy in the company deals with building work.

He promises to get the building guy give me a call

No response

AIBU so sack these fookers off?

If so how does one find a decent honest builder?

4 minutes ago, JackieO said:

You need to find one that has a motivation not to be a cunt ie operating in an environment where lots of people know him and reputation counts for something. So easier in a rural area for example. Without that, it's pot luck or by recommendation.

You need to find someone who needs some work. which is unfortunately not the same thing as a good builder.

One of the builder job spec sites..  trusted people? I think that's where we got our drainage company from. Put the job on and a couple got in touch. The ones we picked were great, let us go and see a job they'd done recently.

Our extension was done by someone the MIL knew quite well, or their sons anyway. Sadly their mother died whilst the roof was off and that was  abit of a crapfest for a couple of weeks. Horrendously sad as I knew the mum and she was a lovely one. I had to shout up to the lads to go and take their dad up to the hospital as their mum had taken a turn for the worst. 

Edited by sarahbell

I'd say you need personal recommendations and no YANBU for sack off the idiot that you have been dealing with - if he is this crap at quote stage imagine what happens when half your house is a building site.

12 minutes ago, Caravan Monster said:

Building trade is busy at the moment and may well be prioritising the easiest profit jobs, domestic repairs and alterations will come lower down the list.

Yup.  My gas servicing guy is getting paid hand over fist for work on all the new builds so the domestic servicing takes second place.

You only have to drive around to see all the new houses going up to appreciate that it is not a good time to find a decent builder who is prepared to pass up all that really well paid work.

13 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

You need to find someone who needs some work. which is unfortunately not the same thing as a good builder.

One of the builder job spec sites..  trusted people? I think that's where we got our drainage company from. Put the job on and a couple got in touch. The ones we picked were great, let us go and see a job they'd done recently.

Our extension was done by someone the MIL knew quite well, or their sons anyway. Sadly their mother died whilst the roof was off and that was  abit of a crapfest for a couple of weeks. Horrendously sad as I knew the mum and she was a lovely one. I had to shout up to the lads to go and take their dad up to the hospital as their mum had taken a turn for the worst. 

Sorry for being a tad slow on the uptake my dear....

I thought your avatar was a flower was a stem and two cute leaves

But now realise its a flower sticking out of an arse

What say you?

7 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yup.  My gas servicing guy is getting paid hand over fist for work on all the new builds so the domestic servicing takes second place.

You only have to drive around to see all the new houses going up to appreciate that it is not a good time to find a decent builder who is prepared to pass up all that really well paid work.

On a 800 new build estate near me, I've heard of tradesmen being put on 5-6 year contracts...Trouble is, is that with all the H&S stuff you get on building sites, I'm surprised anything gets done.   Was on a site where they were putting in a major water main across a number of fields.  The digger driver did 60 hours one week, but actually only did 9 hours of work.  I had to wear a hard hat in the middle of an empty field..

Edited by Dave Beans

2 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

On a 800 new build estate near me, I've heard of tradesmen being put on 5-6 year contracts...Trouble is, is that with all the H&S stuff you get on building sites, I'm surprised anything gets done.   Was on a site where they were putting in a major water main.  The digger driver did 60 hours one week, but actually only did 9 hours of work.

And you're not going to turn that down!

If you want a good builder they will be able to provide you with two of these three things:

Reasonable prices
Quality work
Attentive and timely communication

Which two you pick is up to you.

25 minutes ago, JackieO said:

Sorry for being a tad slow on the uptake my dear....

I thought your avatar was a flower was a stem and two cute leaves

But now realise its a flower sticking out of an arse

What say you?

I changed it the other day... in celebration of something. It's NOT MY ARSE. or vase.

23 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

On a 800 new build estate near me, I've heard of tradesmen being put on 5-6 year contracts...Trouble is, is that with all the H&S stuff you get on building sites, I'm surprised anything gets done.   Was on a site where they were putting in a major water main across a number of fields.  The digger driver did 60 hours one week, but actually only did 9 hours of work.  I had to wear a hard hat in the middle of an empty field..

I have to wear that plus a chin strap plus safety glasses and gloves even if i`m nowhere near any construction 

Recommendations are the best if the work is for yourself its not a bad idea to try and find someone in the main trade through recommendations say if you want an extension built the main trade would be a bricklayer if you can find a good one they will know for sure people in  all the other trades that are needed you can then go from there recommendations ,its a bit harder to get a final price but most builders tend to do the same thing unless you are talking a large company then you will probably find they are not that interested in a one off job and be very expensive 

30 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

I suspect he's on good money, but I'd get bored..

Doubt it machine drivers wages are on the floor ,less than ten years ago i would bet 

10 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

I have to wear that plus a chin strap plus safety glasses and gloves even if i`m nowhere near any construction 

We typically don't now bother with building type sites anymore.  That site I just mentioned wanted to get a decibel meter to make sure our machines weren't too loud..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43541990

People are now typically extending rather than moving.  Are there any neighbours who have had work done, that you could ask?

1 hour ago, JackieO said:

I got a company to come round over a fucking week ago now.

The bloke that came round seemed ok enough but then was not responding to messages and was like sorry I wasnt available for this and that reason.

He promised a quote on Monday that did not come through until this morning but....

the quote omitted some building work that should have been included in the quote sooo...

I send a email saying What about the building work needed?

No response.

So I phoned the guy who said another guy in the company deals with building work.

He promises to get the building guy give me a call

No response

AIBU so sack these fookers off?

Move on, he doesn't want the job for whatever reason

If he wanted the job he'd be onto it. If you persist he'll likely give you a sky high price.

Then, if you use him you will get a reluctant builder

You want someone with a relatively full book that takes you on eagerly but whom you might have to wait for.

You don't want someone that says "i can start tomorrow"

Edited by Hopeful

Thanks for the replies. They've been really helpful. :)

I'm going to sack the guy off, as was said if he's this bad at the quote stage he's not worth going with, oh and BTW he quoted £8600 for a small kitchen not including the building work so as Hopeful said he's likely doesn't want the work. They are actually a few miles away too and don't need the hassle of travelling to a relatively small job.

I've phoned a more local builder with recommendations from Yell, he seemed keen to come and give a quote and was up for starting work quickly. I'll give him a try and get a quote from another local builder too.

14 minutes ago, JackieO said:

Thanks for the replies. They've been really helpful. :)

I'm going to sack the guy off, as was said if he's this bad at the quote stage he's not worth going with, oh and BTW he quoted £8600 for a small kitchen not including the building work so as Hopeful said he's likely doesn't want the work. They are actually a few miles away too and don't need the hassle of travelling to a relatively small job.

I've phoned a more local builder with recommendations from Yell, he seemed keen to come and give a quote and was up for starting work quickly. I'll give him a try and get a quote from another local builder too.

I wouldn't just take internet reviews just on their own, ask for examples of local work and follow them up - speak to householders if you can. Personal recommendation is best and keep in mind NTB's 2 out of 3 post. I've asked a good friend of mine to quote and not heard back for months, I have not chased up as carrying on myself with alterations for now but know he is very good but also snowed under. 

Which Trusted Traders have all been OK when I have used them, although like any good tradesmen they will have lots of work and you may have to wait a while before they can fit you in. 

However, I've found that in general they have good customer service and you're more likely to speak to a secretary than a dodgy builder on his mobile in a van. 

I have not had such good results with Rated People, which is probably better if you just want a very simple quick job done that you can't do yourself for some reason. (Eg got them to do a quick guttering repair simply because I didn't fancy going up a 20' ladder on my own). 

Edited by Austin Allegro