• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
This Time

Cheap tricks by retailers

A month or so ago I noticed that the price of a fair few of the things I buy had gone up by 10p. Today I went shopping and noticed that they'd all gone back to their original prices with 'great new price' on the price labels. Cheeky buggers.

(In fairness to them they've also reduced the price on a few things that they hadn't increased the price on, but still).

5 minutes ago, This Time said:

A month or so ago I noticed that the price of a fair few of the things I buy had gone up by 10p. Today I went shopping and noticed that they'd all gone back to their original prices with 'great new price' on the price labels. Cheeky buggers.

(In fairness to them they've also reduced the price on a few things that they hadn't increased the price on, but still).

old, old trick.  There is even legislation in place to prevent the most egregious tricks of this type (i.e. you cannot boost the price for 20 minutes and then claim the reverted price is 'reduced')

3 minutes ago, wherebee said:

old, old trick.  There is even legislation in place to prevent the most egregious tricks of this type (i.e. you cannot boost the price for 20 minutes and then claim the reverted price is 'reduced')

There’s also another trick retailers use especially one furniture retailer that'd advertise a sale price on products they’d only originally marked up higher in one store located in a really, really obscure area of Scotland. 

4 minutes ago, wherebee said:

But they don't have to increase the price in all shops -- thus you could (and do) get 'reduced price' offers where the price was the same as it actually was before, but the 'before' price on the sticker was from a different (set of) store(s).

Wines on offer in supermarkets

The offer price is the price these cheap wines are meant to sell at. Surely, nobody buys Yellow Tail, Wolf Blass etc at anything other than when reduced by £1, do they?

You get better wines IMO by buying the wine labels that are never reduced, even if they are the same price as a reduced Yellow Tail

Edited by Hopeful