• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

DTMark

2000s music

The picks of the decade..

To begin with a couple of tracks that I consider outstanding and which are going to be covered over and over and starting with one of which comes from a band that I normally consider to be deathly dull but credit where it's due. And the so iconic Keane track that everyone hums along to.

Coldplay: Vida la vida (When I Ruled the World)

Keane: Everybody's Changing

My knowledge of 21st century is patchy at best.

The Noisettes were big in 2009 when a song of theirs was used on a mazda car advert. Some of their other tracks got some Radio 2 airplay (like 'Never forget you') which eventually got me to part with my money and buy the CD. This track comes from the most recent album I own:

The album is a good listen imo. Nice last track to finish on (giggidy).

Quite like this track from the Killers, superb guitar riff.

5 hours ago, Panther said:

And to think, music has actually got worse since

I don't actually agree with this. I don't think that music from any particular decade is any better than any other. There are only so many riffs and rhythms which is why, as we get older, everything sounds like something else. It's really rare to get something that is genuinely new.

The decade I like the least is the 1970s and TBH I cannot stand the LSD / heroin inspired shit like "The Doors" which does absolutely nothing for me. It's not big and it's not clever. It doesn't work for me because I am not addicted to heroin. That said, there was other music that I really do like. Now. With hindsight.

As something of a dance music fan, I can point to the 1988 to 1989 period of house music as being hugely influential. The 1994 to 1996-ish period where classical met electronica resulting in the trance sub-genre. And I can fondly remember my clubbing days to works I would describe as genius.

But, those are "of their time" because the music and the memories are so closely coupled and one will always take me back to the other: one reinforces the other. Not least because we all tried various things in those years. Didn't we.. ;)

I stopped going clubbing around the year 2003 when I began to find other priorities and those former, formative years remain precious to me. It will always be so. "My decade". But, my decade did not have the monopoly on good music. It just seems that way sometimes.

I would agree that much modern commercial pop seems facile, uninteresting and frankly flat. Stock, Aitken and Waterman managed to come up with some beautiful chords in the 1980s and 1990s which I think outrank much of the pop crap in the charts today. But then most of the stuff in the charts was always crap. As was ever thus.

I have enjoyed seeking out new music. Give it a go ;)

OK, a couple of dance tracks. Didn't take long, did it. I don't have that many from this decade.

Paffendorf - Be Cool

Can't describe just how unbelievably stunning the vinyl of this is. 10/10 for euphoria and mastering.

Chakra - Home

Top quality progressive trance leading on from where the 1990s left off.

On 06/04/2018 at 00:57, DTMark said:

The decade I like the least is the 1970s and TBH I cannot stand the LSD / heroin inspired shit like "The Doors" which does absolutely nothing for me. It's not big and it's not clever

But the dance scene was hugely influenced by Ecstacy / amphetamines, different times different drugs

On 20/04/2018 at 17:57, BBH said:

But the dance scene was hugely influenced by Ecstacy / amphetamines, different times different drugs

Much wider than that. Replace dance with music. Even the intro sequences from Doctor Who over the years show the influences of the predominant drugs at that time most notably Pertwee's and Colin Baker's periods.

Edited by DTMark
Spelling. On mobile phone tonight.