• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Chinese satellite plummeting to earth

Nowhere near us but this is a big one:

_100601510_tiangong1_map_640_english_v3.

Perhaps 20-40% could survive to the surface - that's 1.5-3.5 tonnes :o

Any debris path at the surface would be hundreds of km long

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-43557446

I like the reassurance that:

The highest probability is that this material would hit the ocean

Well, yes.  But it could also take out Perth, Cairo, Madrid, Rome, Athens, Mexico City.

They reckon an hour's notice of where it's going to fall is about all you'll get.  Sleep soundly y'all.

The stupid thing has been plummeting for ages.  Still not hit the Earth yet.

Anyway, I've been reassured (by orbital mechanics) that it won't hit my house, so I refuse to be concerned about it.

Posted (edited)

How is the space programme incompetence not grossly offensive.  They're so clever can't they get the satellite to say where it's going to land.  Using cctv, a telescope and a computer or something, no communications tut.  Even other satellites would give a clue.  How about their missile spotting technology that they go on about.

It's certainly a big satellite from the map image it looks about 500 miles across.  Never mind damage on land what about whopping tsunamis everywhere if it lands in an ocean.  They must think we're daft they missed a scaremongering trick there.  Hopefully the damage will be no worse than their other make work schemes and dodgy boosts to GDP.

For sure the Russians will be to blame.  Notice from the wavy lines it's going to miss China - not so daft.

Edited by twocents

If it does wipe out twenty blocks of Mexico City and kills thousands of people what then?

Is it just "whoops" or is there finally an autodestruct going to be built in that will explode a failing staellite in orbit into its component parts which will cause only minor damage?

I'd like to see Mexico suing China for billions if that happens; it will make countries rethink the true cost of their space programmes.

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

If it does wipe out twenty blocks of Mexico City and kills thousands of people what then?

Is it just "whoops" or is there finally an autodestruct going to be built in that will explode a failing staellite in orbit into its component parts which will cause only minor damage?

I'd like to see Mexico suing China for billions if that happens; it will make countries rethink the true cost of their space programmes.

gentrification.

4 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Please, please, please... a NGO ferry in the Mediterranen full of every celeb SJW you can think.

If that happens you are in so much shit. :Beer:

3 hours ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Or Mecca or Jerusalem or the Vatican. Any one of those would make the crazies crazier.

Black stones a metorite.

Thats what they circle.

And the stone predates islam. Was worshippped by pagans.

2 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Please, please, please... a NGO ferry in the Mediterranen full of every celeb SJW you can think.

As long as Tony Blair is also on it.

On 30/03/2018 at 13:27, XswampyX said:

TingTong.thumb.jpg.80f591bb816ba8a8fc7fe81f3d524920.jpg

Source :- http://www.satflare.com/track.asp?q=37820#TOP

3 hrs 51 mins!

Just noticed if you press the "Print Screen" key and then select paste into your post it actually pastes the screenshot. How cool it that!

Edit if you click through the time line it ends at birdsville airport. 

Bumping the thread as time estimate now revised to seven hours either side of midnight tonight (Sunday).  This is GMT so 4pm to 6am.

Ting ~Tong didn't love you long time.

I used to talk on AO-51 when I was in Scotland, but that one died too. Actually ir's no bigger that a cereal packet.

5 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Bumping the thread as time estimate now revised to seven hours either side of midnight tonight (Sunday).  This is GMT so 4pm to 6am.

Latest update window has fallen from fourteen hours to eight hours, now:

Tomorrow (Monday) 1am to 9am.