• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Deprived childhood - toys you wanted but didn't get

Eagle transporter from Space 1999 in metal. I had a look on eBay for interest, all just plastic kits but the metal model did exist.

Raleigh Chopper - didn't we all? XYY posted about having one the lucky get.

And I'll do the PS4 and six cans of Pepsi line to save the trouble. And the Toc H lamp to be extra safe.

I did Frank. 1973. Bright red. Best Christmas present ever.

I would not have mentioned PS4s and Diet Pepsi as you made the post - those comments are for newcomers who appear to be bots. 

You're not a bot are you Francis...?

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man

Crossfire was good. You had to put plasters on the triggers though, if you played it all day you'd end up with blisters and bloody fingers.

Just now, The Prick said:

Crossfire was good. You had to put plasters on the triggers though, if you played it all day you'd end up with blisters and bloody fingers.

Fuck off. I wouldn't know. And yes, it is still a sore point.

Sega megadrive.

Well, that's not strictly true, I did get one eventually but I had to enter almost Brexit-like negotiations with my parents and basically promise not to be a little shit for at least a year.

That deal lasted about 2 weeks I think.

Big Trak.

I think I had more chance of landing on the moon. In fact the amount I wanted something seems, retrospectively, inversely proportional to the chances of me actually getting it. I now need to work out why this was without causing myself a breakdown.

I always wanted a pedal tractor with a front loading shovel. If I'd got one I might have acquired a lot less unnecessary heavy machinery as an adult.

Same here.  Never managed to get any of the cool Raleigh bikes.  Most of the other kids had them.  I remember filling out an entry form that was in Wizzer and Chips comic, to win a Grifter XL.  Spent days thinking up the best tiebreaker as to why I wanted the bike.  I waited 6 weeks to win it, dreaming about it.  Didn't win it.  The cunts.

IMG_0054.JPG

Edited by The Prick

3 minutes ago, The Prick said:

Same here.  Never managed to get any of the cool Raleigh bikes.  Most of the other kids had them.  I remember filling out an entry form that was in Wizzer and Chips comic, to win a Grifter XL.  Spent days thinking up the best tiebreaker as to why I wanted the bike.  I waited 6 weeks to win it, dreaming about it.  Didn't win it.  The cunts.

There are probably lawyers prepared to take that case on.

It's scarred me.

I was crapping myself about having to explain to my parents where this Grifter XL came from.:D

8 minutes ago, The Prick said:

IMG_0054.JPG

It caught my eye on another thread that none of this done up Grifters have the right original wide tyres on them which are presumably unavailable. I had the red Grifter but was never really happy with it as preferred the blue one. I was from the sort of low income household where spunking a lot of money buying the kids the latest things was de rigueur.

Just now, SNACR said:

I was from the sort of low income household where spunking a lot of money buying the kids the latest things was de rigueur.

That would have been me, if there'd been any money.

I had a Burner. Kind of like a second rate Grifter.

6 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Raleigh Chopper - didn't we all?

I had the smaller version the "tomahawk" was always dead jealous of anyone with a chopper.

ChopperScan25.jpg

Absolutely glorious, the closest thing a kid could have to a moterbike

Edited by goldbug9999

I really wanted a Play-doh factory. I even got in for Christmas one year but it broke straight out of the box and  the shop didn't have any more when we went to exchange it.

10-2042-01.jpg

Edited by This Time

32 minutes ago, gilf said:

Then of course there was the even smaller Budgie, a friend of mine had one of those.

5011729506_db334928ef_b.jpg

That reminds me of our Fiat in that, even though it's small in itself, the wheels are disproportionately smaller again. 

Blimey, I can tell we are all of a certain age as I remember drooling over some of these toys in my mum's Kays catalogue. 

I'd have really liked a computer of some kind as the entire 80s home computing thing completely passed me by due to my parents being skint. I'd didn't get to use a computer in anger until about 91 at university. 

Just now, SCC said:

Blimey, I can tell we are all of a certain age as I remember drooling over some of these toys in my mum's Kays catalogue. 

Er..... we get the picture, thanks. And the picture was on pages 261-292.