DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

New build estates - the parking is bad

201p

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/16127864._Sort_it_out_before_somebody_dies____parked_cars_block_ambulance_access/#comments-anchor

EASTLEIGH residents are calling for action to solve inconsiderate parking "before somebody will die".

Those living at Lakeside Estate said the "too many cars" parked inconsiderately on Somers Way, Argosy Crescents and the nearby roads are putting people's lives at risk as they obstruct emergency vehicles and increase the risk of accidents involving pedestrians.

This comes after ambulances struggled to get through the estate few months ago, leaving residents in need waiting for minutes. (the residents did not remembered exactly when it happened and said they did not know who were the residents waiting for the ambulances)

?type=responsive-gallery-fullscreen

?type=responsive-gallery-fullscreen

One percent

A new estate has gone up by me. It is stated policy to plan them to not have enough parking as as to discourage people from owning cars. 

All it has done is to encourage these people to clutter the surrounding streets with their cars. Thus compounding the car issue in a built up city. Now when my neighbours get home from work, they cannot park. We have off street parking so not as affected.  

Frank Hovis
19 hours ago, One percent said:

A new estate has gone up by me. It is stated policy to plan them to not have enough parking as as to discourage people from owning cars. 

All it has done is to encourage these people to clutter the surrounding streets with their cars. Thus compounding the car issue in a built up city. Now when my neighbours get home from work, they cannot park. We have off street parking so not as affected.  

It is a mad policy that could only be cooked up by people living in London with its great public transport system so that a car genunely becomes optional rather than essential; I was there ten years and didn't feel the need for one.

I know an estate built in the 80s where there is plenty of space for everybody to put their car on their drive though you get the odd one on the road.  Beyond that there is an extension to the estate built in the 2000s which is a nightmare.

The drives are so short that if you park on them you block the pavement; the road is curving so the many cars parked there stick out at one end, and people park both sides so that you have to crawl your way round like negotiating a multi-storey car park.

According to someone who lives near it there are frequent stand up rows in the street about parking.

So there you have cheek by jowl a pleasant well designed estate and next to it an absolute mess with neighbours falling out; demonstrating over the space of a hundred yars and twenty years the sheer lunacy of the changes in the planning laws "to discourage people from owing cars" for which the price paid is turning pleasant home lives into crap ones.

But they're only the little people so they don't count.

One percent
38 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

It is a mad policy that could only be cooked up by people living in London with its great public transport system so that a car genunely becomes optional rather than essential; I was there ten years and didn't feel the need for one.

I know an estate built in the 80s where there is plenty of space for everybody to put their car on their drive though you get the odd one on the road.  Beyond that there is an extension to the estate built in the 2000s which is a nightmare.

The drives are so short that if you park on them you block the pavement; the road is curving so the many cars parked there stick out at one end, and people park both sides so that you have to crawl your way round like negotiating a multi-storey car park.

According to someone who lives near it there are frequent stand up rows in the street about parking.

So there you have cheek by jowl a pleasant well designed estate and next to it an absolute mess with neighbours falling out; demonstrating over the space of a hundred yars and twenty years the sheer lunacy of the changes in the planning laws "to discourage people from owing cars" for which the price paid is turning pleasant home lives into crap ones.

But they're only the little people so they don't count.

Central London, yes I agree but not the ‘burbs. Transport is not quite as good as people think.  It is excellent if going into the centre but not for anything else. 

There is a block of flats being built a three minute walk from me, it has just got pp.  there are going to be no parking spaces at all for these flats. It will be a nightmare for anyone who cannot get their car off the road. 

Frank Hovis
48 minutes ago, One percent said:

Central London, yes I agree but not the ‘burbs. Transport is not quite as good as people think.  It is excellent if going into the centre but not for anything else. 

There is a block of flats being built a three minute walk from me, it has just got pp.  there are going to be no parking spaces at all for these flats. It will be a nightmare for anyone who cannot get their car off the road. 

I lived in central London as do a lot of politicians and it does colour your view of cars.

I used to think "Why do these people need to clog up the streets with their cars? They don't need them at all.".

Leave London and complete turn around in my view as I now understand how essential a car is for daily life.

So I think, based on my changing personal views, that if you live in the bubble of a central London transport system them you start becoming anti-car. And this is where our politicians spend much of their time.

I haven't gone anti car yet. The further you live from London, the more cylinders you need. Di €dyou know the average car on Noth Uist is a 6 litre V12?

51 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

So I think, based on my changing personal views, that if you live in the bubble of a central London transport system them you start becoming anti-car. And this is where our politicians spend much of their time.

Plus having travelling expenses covered when not in London.

On 01/04/2018 at 19:07, One percent said:

Same around here. I live in a shit area full of druggies, beggars, fly tipping and low level crime. Last two weeks 4 cars have had their windscreens smashed in on my road. Mine was keyed a few weeks ago. The houses round here are tiny victorian 2 up 2 downs are selling for £300k+. It's impossible to park in the day let alone after work. Yet the council allow more and more properties to be turned into BTL's and have more people crammed in and more cars.

So you pay £300k+ for a tiny shoe box. You arrive home after working a high stress job to pay your jumbo mortgage but chances of finding a parking spot is slim to none, so will have to park 15 mins walk away. If you're one of the lucky ones who can find somewhere you have a 1 in 10 chance of your car getting vandalised overnight. Lucky you. You enter your shitty little house which only allows you 1 kid, who gets to grow up around tramps and druggies. You kid also gets a shit education from the local schools as they are failing due to 7 different languages now spoken in each class.

Gotta love modern Britain.

One percent
6 minutes ago, gibbon said:

Same around here. I live in a shit area full of druggies, beggars, fly tipping and low level crime. Last two weeks 4 cars have had their windscreens smashed in on my road. Mine was keyed a few weeks ago. The houses round here are tiny victorian 2 up 2 downs yet are selling for £300k+. It's impossible to park in the day let alone after work. Yet the council allow more and more properties to be turned into BTL's and have more people crammed in and more cars.

Pay £300k for a shoe-box, can't park, if you do find a space you can't go out in the evening as you'll lose it and have to park about 15 minutes walk away. Your tiny expensive house with only 2 bedrooms limits you to 1 kid, your kid gets to see tramps and druggies every day and get a shit education from the local schools which are failing because 7 different languages are spoken in each class.

It’s progress Jim, just not as we know it. 

They really have fucked up the quality of life for a lot of people with their bonkers policies 

6 minutes ago, One percent said:

It’s progress Jim, just not as we know it. 

They really have fucked up the quality of life for a lot of people with their bonkers policies 

The funny thing is in the local rags they call the area I live in good things such as VIBRANT and DIVERSE. Home county wankers who failed in London are flocking here in their droves along with a shit ton of gimmigrants, pushing house prices up.

It's turned into a shit hole.

One percent
Just now, gibbon said:

The funny thing is in the local rags they call the area I live in good things such as VIBRANT and DIVERSE. Home county wankers who failed in London are flocking here in their droves along with a shit ton of gimmigrants, pushing house prices up.

It's turned into a shit hole.

You know it has gone to shit when they start using adjectives like that. 

Wight Flight

Where my factory used to be, they were trying to fit in a couple more units. 3,000 sq ft each. Enough for at least 10 staff.

The planners stated they could only have two parking spaces each to try and encourage the use of public transport. Which was true, there was a station a three minute walk away. Problem is that the trains from that station didn't go anywhere near where the possible staff would be, or at the time people would need to use them.

Oddly, once they were built, the parking, which until then had been tolerable, became impossible for the whole estate.

4 minutes ago, DTMark said:

The Barratt estate we lived in was built with only one parking space even for four bedroom houses. That was in Blackpool.

The residents of those were able to lose some of their front gardens and widen the drives.

The residents of the smaller houses might get one allocated space and there was some "communal parking" probably envisaged for guests, which would always be full.

Others had to park in the adjacent street and had a five minute walk up a hill to reach their cars. Nice.

However, separately, since the houses were built by Barratt and it was on high ground, every time it was windy the tiles would blow down from the roofs.

So whenever it was windy, it looked as if the cars were frightened of the houses since they would all get parked "anywhere but in front of my own or anyone else's house".

No wonder - there is a chronic lack of available land on the Fylde coast due to the incredible population density.

Joking aside, I detest the way developers deliberately and overtly build sub-standard housing for the plebs, like me. I live on one of these new build slave box estates and it really does reinforce my inner narrative that I live in a neo-feudal hellhole (or purgatory-hole to be more specific, like some perverse kind of test where everything is artificially shitty). Every day. Cars parked on the pavements, on the "special paved areas where, according to the covenant, no-one is allowed to park", squashed in unnaturally shortened and narrow driveways. What a fucking disgrace.

They know most working (class) plebs without resource to "family wealth" will have to pay for their slave boxes through labour. In the shires this usually means two plebs each with their own car. Yet most of the slave boxes only have one parking space. The government do nothing because their pension Ponzi relies on the share price, and most of them are stock holders.

Chewing Grass
5 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

Where my factory used to be, they were trying to fit in a couple more units. 3,000 sq ft each. Enough for at least 10 staff.

The planners stated they could only have two parking spaces each to try and encourage the use of public transport. Which was true, there was a station a three minute walk away. Problem is that the trains from that station didn't go anywhere near where the possible staff would be, or at the time people would need to use them.

Oddly, once they were built, the parking, which until then had been tolerable, became impossible for the whole estate.

Same here, company wants to sell the old office block to the council as development land and move into a shiny new one, old block had enough car spaces for everyone just, the new one will have 1 space for every 3 employees. The nearest station is 1 mile away and only any use if you live out of town to either the east or west, the bus system is bollocks as you have to go into the town centre and out to get anywhere and forget it if you live either N or S as most people do.

Group of offices down the road is the same and all the grass verges are a torn up, rutted, swamp as a result.

Cars have morphed into bloated monster vehicles, FFS the Mercedes C class is in the top 10 new vehicle registrations and they are tanks. The smallest car in the top ten is a Fiesta with rest being bloaters.

At home my sixties estate which is quite spacious is now virtually impassable when these things are kerb parked on both sides of the road, no chance of a fire engine getting in and an ambulance would have to crawl through. Most houses now have 3 or more cars parked outside, nything longer than a fiesta wont fit on the drive.

Basically the problem is the length and excessive width of vehicles especially when everyone is doing so well in the UK that Mercs make up 2 of the top 10 slots for UK car sales.

31 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Basically the problem is the length and excessive width of vehicles especially when everyone is doing so well in the UK that Mercs make up 2 of the top 10 slots for UK car sales.

PCP. You can pick up C class for £300 p/m. Family member still in her teens on an apprentice wage just got a new BMW 1 Series M Sport on finance. Is beyond madness now.

See we've lost 21k retail jobs so far this year...

On 4/1/2018 at 19:07, One percent said:

It gives the local council an easy way out. A local Dominos was recently built round here, there were about 30 objections as there was no provision for parking. People would clearly just park on the road. The council said that wouldn't happen and most people would walk.... Now if you try going down there on a Friday or Saturday evening it's often impossible to get through.

On 4/2/2018 at 20:44, gibbon said:

Same around here. I live in a shit area full of druggies, beggars, fly tipping and low level crime. Last two weeks 4 cars have had their windscreens smashed in on my road. Mine was keyed a few weeks ago. The houses round here are tiny victorian 2 up 2 downs are selling for £300k+. It's impossible to park in the day let alone after work. Yet the council allow more and more properties to be turned into BTL's and have more people crammed in and more cars.

So you pay £300k+ for a tiny shoe box. You arrive home after working a high stress job to pay your jumbo mortgage but chances of finding a parking spot is slim to none, so will have to park 15 mins walk away. If you're one of the lucky ones who can find somewhere you have a 1 in 10 chance of your car getting vandalised overnight. Lucky you. You enter your shitty little house which only allows you 1 kid, who gets to grow up around tramps and druggies. You kid also gets a shit education from the local schools as they are failing due to 7 different languages now spoken in each class.

Gotta love modern Britain.

No disrespect but, you don't need to do any of this.  I wouldn't live in that kind of place for love nor money, if your house is worth £300k you could buy a sizeable plot elsewhere in the country. 

One percent
15 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

It gives the local council an easy way out. A local Dominos was recently built round here, there were about 30 objections as there was no provision for parking. People would clearly just park on the road. The council said that wouldn't happen and most people would walk.... Now if you try going down there on a Friday or Saturday evening it's often impossible to get through.

Dominos you say? I thought you lived in a posh area Spunko?  o.O

Yeah, they just don't care the impact that their planning decisions have on the quality of life for their residents.  So much for democracy...

Just now, One percent said:

Dominos you say? I thought you lived in a posh area Spunko?  o.O

Yeah, they just don't care the impact that their planning decisions have on the quality of life for their residents.  So much for democracy...

I wouldn't say posh, just quite rural. Some parts are nice but the nearest large town is an enriched dump!

I have noticed that a lot of these planning applications get waved through because it "creates jobs" in a rural/semi rural environment round here. But they are of course zero hours and staffed mainly by New Britains.

Frank Hovis
13 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

No disrespect but, you don't need to do any of this.  I wouldn't live in that kind of place for love nor money, if your house is worth £300k you could buy a sizeable plot elsewhere in the country. 

This.

You need to be pretty disciplined in your search but there are still areas of the country that have decent jobs, reasonably priced houses, and low numbers of immigrants.

I will throw in the Gloucester / Cheltenham / Swindon area as meeting these criteria; as long as you're not expecting a Cotswolds mansion.

In Gloucester I mentioned about the vast number of office jobs being available so that pretty much any 18 year old school leaver could walk into one.  The answer was "Isn't it like that everywhere?".  Er, no.  Not by a long chalk.

Yesterday the So-Called BBC radio was full of the plan to introduce £70 fines for pavement parking everywhere outside of London.  It's been on and off in the peripheral news for a few years but now it's made it to the So-Called BBC.

Whether you agree or disagree with doing it for the massive numbers of cars and other vehicles that do park partly on the pavement (of course there's always the daft ones who completely block the pavements for pedestrians) it seems to be yet another insane policy born of a rapidly increasing population and awful congestion.  Where are they all going to park - will it mean pavement parking permitted signs everywhere, pavement markings and maybe pavement parking permits.

New build estate residents won't stand a chance.

More tax gouging and make work.

4 APR 2018

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/local-news/pavement-parking-fines-government-plans-1417945

Parking on ANY pavement could soon land you with a £70 fine

Archived