DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

New build estates - the parking is bad

201p

Frank Hovis
1 minute ago, twocents said:

Yesterday the So-Called BBC radio was full of the plan to introduce £70 fines for pavement parking everywhere outside of London.  It's been on and off in the peripheral news for a few years but now it's made it to the So-Called BBC.

Whether you agree or disagree with doing it the massive numbers of cars and other vehicles that do park partly on the pavement (of course there's always the daft ones who completely block the pavements for pedestrians) it seems to be yet another insane policy born of a rapidly increasing population and awful congestion.  Where are they all going to park - will it mean pavement parking permitted signs everywhere, pavement markings and maybe pavement parking permits.

New build estate residents won't stand a chance.

More tax gouging and make work.

It will be interesting to see what happens in those cases where houses have a drive and a dropped kerb but the drive is too short and the car partially obstructs the pavements; as I noted is the case on the new build estate I referenced earlier.  If it's strictly enforced the current fractious parking state of play there will ramp up to open warfare.

13 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

Same here, company wants to sell the old office block to the council as development land and move into a shiny new one, old block had enough car spaces for everyone just, the new one will have 1 space for every 3 employees. The nearest station is 1 mile away and only any use if you live out of town to either the east or west, the bus system is bollocks as you have to go into the town centre and out to get anywhere and forget it if you live either N or S as most people do.

Group of offices down the road is the same and all the grass verges are a torn up, rutted, swamp as a result.

Cars have morphed into bloated monster vehicles, FFS the Mercedes C class is in the top 10 new vehicle registrations and they are tanks. The smallest car in the top ten is a Fiesta with rest being bloaters.

At home my sixties estate which is quite spacious is now virtually impassable when these things are kerb parked on both sides of the road, no chance of a fire engine getting in and an ambulance would have to crawl through. Most houses now have 3 or more cars parked outside, nything longer than a fiesta wont fit on the drive.

Basically the problem is the length and excessive width of vehicles especially when everyone is doing so well in the UK that Mercs make up 2 of the top 10 slots for UK car sales.

With the longer cars (longer than say a Fiesta or an old Focus - since 2005 the Focus increased in length by about 8inches) even with a drive it gets difficult to get out of the drive because of the narrow roads.  Similarly in turning in from the road to put it back on the drive.  Solution - park on the road and partly on the pavement.

No thought goes into anything by the so called planners.

Frank Hovis
16 minutes ago, twocents said:

With the longer cars (longer than say a Fiesta or an old Focus - since 2005 the Focus increased in length by about 8inches) even with a drive it gets difficult to get out of the drive because of the narrow roads.  Similarly in turning in from the road to put it back on the drive.  Solution - park on the road and partly on the pavement.

No thought goes into anything by the so called planners.

The stated aim is to make things less pleasant for car owners to discourage their use.

That is horrendous in my view because it is clearly saying that a deliberate aim of planning policy is to make people's lives worse.

It is astounding that this is thought not only acceptable but actually a good thing no less by all the major political parties.

28 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

The stated aim is to make things less pleasant for car owners to discourage their use.

That is horrendous in my view because it is clearly saying that a deliberate aim of planning policy is to make people's lives worse.

It is astounding that this is thought not only acceptable but actually a good thing no less by all the major political parties.

For sure they've said they want to do that (discourage their use) and I expect a £70 fine will be effective as there'll be nowhere to park cars without causing obstructions and most people can't afford to risk £70 a day in extra tax.  £140 a day for couples each with a car etc.

I'm not sure that the creation of more tanks is specifically to discourage car use and I think that's more to do with vehicle design fulfilling demand in countries with more available space than in Britain although I also expect that if more tanks effectively results in more difficulty for car owners then they'll raise no objection.  It's a crazy way to plan it especially as the tanks consume more fuel - although I expect that helps to support the oil price for their pals.

Frank Hovis
5 minutes ago, twocents said:

For sure they've said they want to do that and I expect a £70 fine will be effective as there'll be nowhere to park cars without causing obstructions and most people can't afford £70 a day in extra tax.  £140 a day for couples each with a car etc.

I'm not sure that the creation of more tanks is specifically to discourage car use and I think that's more to do with vehicle design fulfilling demand in countries with more available space than in Britain although I also expect that if more tanks effectively results in more difficulty for car owners then they'll raise no objection.  It's a crazy way to plan it.

I think the bigger cars is the manufacturers have this idea that each model should be slightly bigger than the last as it will encourage consumers to buy them in the belief that they're getting more.  You find this attitude in car reviews "It's an inch wider and two inches longer than the outgoing model" said as if that was a good thing.

I don't intend buying another hatchback but if I did I would be looking in the Corsa / Fiesta band as the Astra / Focus size is now approaching the size of the first generation Mondeo and I don't want a car that big.

39 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I think the bigger cars is the manufacturers have this idea that each model should be slightly bigger than the last as it will encourage consumers to buy them in the belief that they're getting more.  You find this attitude in car reviews "It's an inch wider and two inches longer than the outgoing model" said as if that was a good thing.

I don't intend buying another hatchback but if I did I would be looking in the Corsa / Fiesta band as the Astra / Focus size is now approaching the size of the first generation Mondeo and I don't want a car that big.

On the flip side manufacturers have been slotting in a micro sized car underneath their old mini sized hatchback, but some are somewhat quirky and appeal only to a small niche market and have nowhere near the appeal of the mainstream Fiesta/Corsa type models.

There looks to be another change in the market too - we've had PCP/contract ruling the roost for quite a while now. The next play could be subscription to a manufacturer for a fee and you get an all in rental deal with the flexibility to actually change your car multiple times during the year depending on needs (family holiday swap of town car for extra urban people carrier for example), not even a passing nod to the thought that you actually own the car even nominally for a period of time.

Frank Hovis
11 minutes ago, onlyme said:

On the flip side manufacturers have been slotting in a micro sized car underneath their old mini sized hatchback, but some are somewhat quirky and appeal only to a small niche market and have nowhere near the appeal of the mainstream Fiesta/Corsa type models.

There looks to be another change in the market too - we've had PCP/contract ruling the roost for quite a while now. The next play could be subscription to a manufacturer for a fee and you get an all in rental deal with the flexibility to actually change your car multiple times during the year depending on needs (family holiday swap of town car for extra urban people carrier for example), not even a passing nod to the thought that you actually own the car even nominally for a period of time.

The micro cars then grow in the same way so I think the current Ka is my idea of what the Fiesta would have been had it not become bloated:

1996 - 2008

280px-Ford_Ka_front.jpg

2008-2014

280px-Ford_Ka_II_front_20100809.jpg

2014-

280px-2017_Ford_KA+_Zetec_1.2_(1).jpg

Four door and everything!

Inoperational Bumblebee

A couple of anecdotals:

• my brother used to live somewhere where the main road had cars parked all the way along one side. This left the road not wide enough for two cars to pass the entire way along, so to avoid having to reverse several hundred metres, you'd get bunches of cars doing 55mph in a 30 zone and each end would alternate. Occasionally you'd see someone who didn't know how the 'system' worked and it totally fucked everything up for about 15 minutes.
  • we live in a nice part of Cardiff with great transport links. Our road (has been housing for 100 years) has width difficulties as it is, but we lead onto a main road that feeds a lot of other areas. Unfortunately, they are now building multiple large estates in these areas. This main road is already quite congested.
    A couple of years back, the Local Development Plan was approved, and within a few miles of us there will be 7000 new houses. A substantial proportion of the traffic will end up on the main road, and there simply isn't the space to enlarge it. Overall, the LDP will end up building around 40,000 new houses in Cardiff, which is a substantial number in an area where the official 2016 population was around 360k.

I've mentioned elsewhere, we're leaving to go to Newport. Cardiff is not the same place I grew up in.

Chewing Grass
39 minutes ago, onlyme said:

This is what a micro car should be like.

Parking problems gone.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPu78U199eQBTDkH-i9lo

5 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

No disrespect but, you don't need to do any of this.  I wouldn't live in that kind of place for love nor money, if your house is worth £300k you could buy a sizeable plot elsewhere in the country. 

Nor would I, I've got cheap(ish) rent and do plan on moving somewhere civilised eventually. Wouldn't consider buying here. What the nutters paying £300k for a house in this shit hole are thinking god knows. The average salaries are poor on the national scale as well. It's mostly people from the home counties who failed in London and believe the BS in the Guardian about the place being edgy and vibrant. 

21 hours ago, gibbon said:

Nor would I, I've got cheap(ish) rent and do plan on moving somewhere civilised eventually. Wouldn't consider buying here. What the nutters paying £300k for a house in this shit hole are thinking god knows. The average salaries are poor on the national scale as well. It's mostly people from the home counties who failed in London and believe the BS in the Guardian about the place being edgy and vibrant. 

Hebden Bridge? o.O

22 hours ago, gibbon said:

does edgy mean you shit yourself walking home alone from the pub ?

One percent

the real intresting litmus test will be when they start stabbing whites instead of each other on a regular basis,if whites out number blacks 10-1 in loninistan like we are told they real are concentrating on each other the percentage must be off the scale.the papers and plod can do all the smoke and mirrors it wants but if they start biteing the hand that feeds them it could get very interesting.we could see reverse race riots.the english are slow burners we always have been.

It isn't just garages at new build properties that are tight. The garage I rent was built in the late 1960s. Motorists were driving much narrower Ford Anglias, Vauxhall Vivas and Austin 1100s back in the day. Motorbikes with sidecars too.

38803994130_de4ebe1a84_c.jpgMy Almera in the lock up garage. by Matt, on Flickr

I doubt the council has any plans to demolish and rebuild bigger garages to accommodate our porkier motors.

Maybe the British idea of having houses with a tiny garden is actually quite a crap way to house people? Maybe it's better to live in flats etc and have communal gardens?

You could get more people onto an area of land if they lived in buildings say four stories high. If the flats had *decent* sound proofing the neighbours should be ok.

tbh, the average garden is so small you can't really do much in it...

i drive a veloster and one of the girls at work who drives a focus st3 was looking at it on the car park,she says its slow compared to my car but it looks wider i doubt it would fit in my garage,id never noticed before  just checked a veloster is 1790 a focus 60mm narrower .

Chewing Grass
1 minute ago, stokiescum said:

i drive a veloster and one of the girls at work who drives a focus st3 was looking at it on the car park,she says its slow compared to my car but it looks wider i doubt it would fit in my garage,id never noticed before

Never mind the speed, feel the width.

Would have been a good response.

You haven't got a garage anyway.

24 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Never mind the speed, feel the width.

Would have been a good response.

You haven't got a garage anyway.

she has,she says its a nicer looking car than her focus st but not fast enough....they are rumoured to be bring out a 300 bhp new model useing hyundias new 2 litre engine its aready in one new model.

Archived