• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Anglepoise

U.S. visa applicants to be asked for social media history.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-visa/u-s-visa-applicants-to-be-asked-for-social-media-history-state-department-idUSKBN1H

This is a new development, possibly troubling to those of us who post a lot on various bulletin boards. How would that work in practice? Could you just say you don't do social media, or would that be so unusual in itself that it would act as a red flag? Time to set up an alternative 'vanilla' profile on Facebook etc?

Edited by Anglepoise

59 minutes ago, Anglepoise said:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-visa/u-s-visa-applicants-to-be-asked-for-social-media-history-state-department-idUSKBN1H

This is a new development, possibly troubling to those of us who post a lot on various bulletin boards. How would that work in practice? Could you just say you don't do social media, or would that be so unusual in itself that it would act as a red flag? Time to set up an alternative 'vanilla' profile on Facebook etc?

If you're visiting there on holiday and you're a British citizen this wouldn't apply as you don't generally need a visa for that. If you're moving there for whatever reason and need an actual visa - as opposed to a waiver for the normal visa requirement - then just suck it up or don't go to begin with. Their country, their rules as far as I'm concerned.

47 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

If you're visiting there on holiday and you're a British citizen this wouldn't apply as you don't generally need a visa for that. If you're moving there for whatever reason and need an actual visa - as opposed to a waiver for the normal visa requirement - then just suck it up or don't go to begin with. Their country, their rules as far as I'm concerned.

Theres also short term work.

They dont care about holiday makers - bar aeropkane flying muzzies.

How ever if youre a performing - and im thinking of a dumb cow folkie who tours usa, who fills up FB with Trump this, Trump that, then shes at the mercy of some homeland security grunt idley googling her.

1 hour ago, spygirl said:

Theres also short term work.

They dont care about holiday makers - bar aeropkane flying muzzies.

How ever if youre a performing - and im thinking of a dumb cow folkie who tours usa, who fills up FB with Trump this, Trump that, then shes at the mercy of some homeland security grunt idley googling her.

I can't see it making a whole lot of difference in that situation since I'd assume the stupid Trump comments would already be publicly attributable to the performer anyway? I'd guess that they are, quite reasonably, on the lookout for people who spend their lives denouncing the Great Satan but then develop a sudden urge to go there and earn a living and/or plot to blow it up. As P J O'Rourke said, the only thing longer than the queue of people burning the American flag in shithole countries (OK, I added that part) is the queue of people at the American embassy applying for visas.

4 minutes ago, man o' the year said:

Nothing new - there was a place on the ESTA application form for this last year.

Current says "SOCIAL MEDIA (OPTIONAL)". I also note that DOSBODS is not on the list of providers so you're safe for now!

They can ask.. ย not sure they can easily tell what you might be omitting. ย 

I would provide some standard social media account information or some such if asked, ย but wouldnโ€™t mention web forumโ€™s like this. ย Not because I say much that is particularly controversial, ย it just seems irrelevant.ย