• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
stokiescum

chesterfield sofas

ok they look old fashioned but ive never sat on one,people tell me they are very uncomfy items .the colour i like is oxblood,are they crap or not basicly.ps i like the queen ann chairs has well i think im looseing the plot has not one person at work likes them and all say they are to old fashioned ...

I like Queen Anne chairs they are comfortable if decently upholstered, the problem I have with Chesterfields is the back is too low for me.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

ok they look old fashioned but ive never sat on one,people tell me they are very uncomfy items .the colour i like is oxblood,are they crap or not basicly.ps i like the queen ann chairs has well i think im looseing the plot has not one person at work likes them and all say they are to old fashioned ...

I've had one for 25 years. We only sit on it with our back against the arm, a big cushion behind to give shoulder support and our legs and feet stretched out along the sofa. Conventional ways of sitting are OK if you can slouch into a corner, but you can't really relax as you have no support above your middle-lower back and it gets irritating.

Our favourite chair is the Parker Knoll Penshurst

Edited by Hopeful

I'd imagine you'd get comfy Chesterfields.... 

I think if you had an old fashioned house they could look good.

Nothing beats leather for being "wipe clean"... I honestly don't know how people can keep a fabric sofa clean. I could wipe a pizza on my sofa and wipe it clean with a wet cloth, I couldn't do that with fabric..

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

I'd imagine you'd get comfy Chesterfields.... 

I think if you had an old fashioned house they could look good.

Nothing beats leather for being "wipe clean"... I honestly don't know how people can keep a fabric sofa clean. I could wipe a pizza on my sofa and wipe it clean with a wet cloth, I couldn't do that with fabric..

I can wipe pizza off my table fine

Edited by Hopeful

21 minutes ago, One percent said:

Are you setting up a gentleman’s club?   

no,but the problem is i like the look of them.but everyone tells me they are crap to actualy sit on.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

no,but the problem is i like the look of them.but everyone tells me they are crap to actualy sit on.

I got one because I don't like the look of any other sofas, other sofas may be more comfortable however.

Having said that, I'm an armchair person, and when the sofa is knackered I'd not buy a sofa again. Armchairs and footstools.

Edited by Hopeful

1 minute ago, stokiescum said:

Never sat on one for a long period. 

The most important thing is the depth of the seat on any comfy chair.  Most modern ones are too deep and you end up looking like the small one out of the two ronnies. Incredibly uncomfortable too unless you curl up on it m

18 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

Isn't the point of a Chesterfield that it is a chaise longue  with two 'arms' -- I guess you're supposed to lounge on them, rather than sit on them, particularly.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

Out of these, I'd instinctively choose the Burghley or the Lincoln, but I reckon something like the Denver would be most comfortable

https://www.parkerknoll.co.uk/products/sofas/two-seater-sofa

But all sofas look awful

You can't beat a wing backed arm chair IMO

Edited by Hopeful

1 hour ago, dgul said:

Isn't the point of a Chesterfield that it is a chaise longue  with two 'arms' -- I guess you're supposed to lounge on them, rather than sit on them, particularly.

Or , as Americans call them... chase lounges!

2 hours ago, dgul said:

to be fair i do lounge

2 hours ago, Panther said:

Now I know why those high-sided leather wing chairs seem to go with them

yes im truly barking,ive got visions of me sat in one in a smokeing jacket with a tumbler of whisky reading the financial times,the reality would be sat in one with a can of stella shouting abuse at migrents geting off boats in the med whilst wareing an xs bright pink dressing gown.