• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

davidg

Only 1% of Indian Programmers can write functioning code

“The IT industry requires maintainable code so that it is less prone to bugs, is readable, reusable and extensible,” the study notes. “Time efficient code runs fast.” Only 1.4% of programmers surveyed could create code that was functionally correct and efficient, meaning it does what it’s supposed to do and in a reliable and speedy manner.

https://qz.com/964843/less-than-5-of-india-engineers-are-cut-out-for-high-skill-programming-jobs/

To be fair, most programmers in the west can't do maintainable and efficient -- when you start putting in efficient then it tends to become much more difficult to understand how it is working.  Most of the time people are happy enough with maintainable and non-buggy.

Anyway, I'm working with shocking code at the moment, all written in the West -- some great errors in it as well...  Latest one had been hanging around for ages but no-one knew where it was coming from -- code had 'if x==0' type construct in it but there was a floating point accumulated error that was giving a 0.00000000001 on rare occasions.  

More than two-thirds of the candidates from the top 100 universities in the country were able to write “compilable code,” or that which does not throw errors when compiled into machine-readable code. In the rest of the colleges, only 31% of students were able to write compilable code.

WABOCs

15 minutes ago, dgul said:

To be fair, most programmers in the west can't do maintainable and efficient -- when you start putting in efficient then it tends to become much more difficult to understand how it is working.  Most of the time people are happy enough with maintainable and non-buggy.

Anyway, I'm working with shocking code at the moment, all written in the West -- some great errors in it as well...  Latest one had been hanging around for ages but no-one knew where it was coming from -- code had 'if x==0' type construct in it but there was a floating point accumulated error that was giving a 0.00000000001 on rare occasions.  

Last time I did some performance tuning, the bottleneck was about 3 lines of code amongst 150000 odd so unless you happened to be working on that 3 lines you were wasting your time worrying about efficiency/performance (beyond avoiding obvious CPU sinks that could possible create a new bottlenecks).

Comparing floats and integers is a schoolboy error and of the many hundreds of programmers I've worked with or been acquainted with over the years I dont think I've met a single one who would make such an error.

9 minutes ago, The Prick said:

More than two-thirds of the candidates from the top 100 universities in the country were able to write “compilable code,” or that which does not throw errors when compiled into machine-readable code. In the rest of the colleges, only 31% of students were able to write compilable code.

WABOCs

Most of my code refuses to run first time, due to trivial typos...

Just now, DeepLurker said:

Most of my code refuses to run first time, due to trivial typos...

I assumed they meant the cunts can't  even get it past a syntax checker 

1 minute ago, dgul said:

Yes I wondered how the figures compared for the West.

20 minutes ago, goldbug9999 said:

Last time I did some performance tuning, the bottleneck was about 3 lines of code amongst 150000 odd so unless you happened to be working on that 3 lines you were wasting your time worrying about efficiency/performance (beyond avoiding obvious CPU sinks that could possible create a new bottlenecks).

Comparing floats and integers is a schoolboy error and of the many hundreds of programmers I've worked with or been acquainted with over the years I dont think I've met a single one who would make such an error.

Was a bit more complicated than a simple float/int confusion.

Just now, MrPin said:

Not my experience, with the Indians I have worked with. All pretty good and precise.o.O

Indians in the uk or states are very different from indians in india.

Theres something very fucked up about yhe way India works. People stop working and spend their time thinking up ways to scam stuff. Had this at v large co. I worked for. They sent over a cadre of skilled indians back to the home country. 500m$ later and they had there entire families working there and new houses. The internal report was a thing of jaw dropping disbelief.

Just now, spygirl said:

Indians in the uk or states are very different from indians in india.

Theres something very fucked up about yhe way India works. People stop working and spend their time thinking up ways to scam stuff. Had this at v large co. I worked for. They sent over a cadre of skilled indians back to the home country. 500m$ later and they had there entire families working there and new houses. The internal report was a thing of jaw dropping disbelief.

No doubt India has a bentness about it, and some people only get a job, because their dad is high up in the company.

But I was talking about some proper Indians I worked with, in India.

Mind you one company I worked for refused a partnership deal with an Indian outfit, as they didn't measure up!

7 minutes ago, MrPin said:

No doubt India has a bentness about it, and some people only get a job, because their dad is high up in the company.

But I was talking about some proper Indians I worked with, in India.

Mind you one company I worked for refused a partnership deal with an Indian outfit, as they didn't measure up!

Most indians i work with refuses to deal with indian outsources. They righty see it as burning through all the good rep indians had in the states.

For companies i deal with, the concept of outsourcing is now seen as a disaster and will get you sacked. Banks are stil keen .

3 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Most indians i work with refuses to deal with indian outsources. They righty see it as burning through all the good rep indians had in the states.

For companies i deal with, the concept of outsourcing is now seen as a disaster and will get you sacked. Banks are stil keen .

Outsourcing usually ends in disaster. You get a product you didn't really want, that sort of works, but not in the way intended. All due to lack of communication!

10 hours ago, The Prick said:

WABOCs

No shit.

I don't know many professional programmers whose code compiles first time unless the program is extremely simple.

Working through compilation errors is usually the first stage of the debugging process.

As for efficiency it is a trade off with maintainability. Properly structured programs should be combine performance with ease of maintenance but even then that does not guarantee bug free code. In fact there is no such thing as the latter and if anyone tells you it is possible they are lying . Just to check a simple program accepting 8 Boolean values as input would require 256 tests. Most programs are much more complicated than that example.

Anyway in modern computing there are so many fucking pieces of the IT jigsaw puzzle that even if your code was flawless you can guarantee that there is something else in the build you don't control that will make the whole thing run like a dog 

The old adage about software is that you can have any two  of the three from cheap, fast or reliable still holds. Most clients don't want to accept that reality.

Only comparison I can give is with my colleague from Singapore who writes/debugs the same In-Circuit-Test software as myself.

His is much neater than mine, and he sticks to the naming conventions for all types of variables.

You'll not be surprised to learn that mine is a total mess, and contains lines like:

DECLARE GLOBAL FUCK;

DECLARE GLOBAL ARSE;

DECLARE GLOBAL CSTRING BOLLOCKS(12);

DECLARE PISSFLAPS();

ENDDEC:

LET ARSE = 10;

MINGE:

IF ARSE != FUCK THEN

[FUCK = FUCK + 1;

BRANCH MINGE;];

ELSE

[BOLLOCKS = 'SUCK MY COCK';

CALL PISSFLAPS();];

Ten thrusts and you enter the subroutine that gets you chugging on my salty bell-end...

XYY

34 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Only comparison I can give is with my colleague from Singapore who writes/debugs the same In-Circuit-Test software as myself.

His is much neater than mine, and he sticks to the naming conventions for all types of variables.

You'll not be surprised to learn that mine is a total mess, and contains lines like:

DECLARE GLOBAL FUCK;

DECLARE GLOBAL ARSE;

DECLARE PISSFLAPS();

ENDDEC:

LET ARSE = 10;

MINGE:

IF ARSE != FUCK THEN

[FUCK = FUCK + 1;

BRANCH MINGE;];

ELSE

CALL PISSFLAPS();];

Ten thrusts and you enter the subroutine that gets you chugging on my salty bell-end...

XYY

Fuckme. Peterlees very own Bill Gates.

In which case, the 90 yo up road window 10 laptop is bust again and he cant see his interweb lezzas.

Not surprising. I have employed several Indian developers they were all terrible. I wouldn't make that mistake now... All very servile yet clueless and never admit they don't know something even when it's obvious they don't.

Ukraine and Russian developers seem to be the best now. 

4 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

Not surprising. I have employed several Indian developers they were all terrible. I wouldn't make that mistake now... All very servile yet clueless and never admit they don't know something even when it's obvious they don't.

Ukraine and Russian developers seem to be the best now. 

If you don't say you don't now something, nobody will show you. But that's an Asian cultural thing in general. Worst software person I met was Italian.

14 minutes ago, MrPin said:

If you don't say you don't now something, nobody will show you. But that's an Asian cultural thing in general. Worst software person I met was Italian.

Same with having anything done in India, like manufactured goods, they are just ingrained people pleasers and won't just say no we don't have the capability to produce what you want. They still make awful quality cardboard boxes, god knows what they put in them, mostly grass and cow shit, it seems like.

23 hours ago, davidg said:

Yes I wondered how the figures compared for the West.

Well...

Programming at any largd scale, well beyond Hello World is very hard. Judt get the simplest profram to vomplie, be portable, and what not requires a number of skills that people dont account for - using an editor, using a cmdshell, maybe make.

Anyhow, the difference with india is that in the west lots of people try profgramming. If they are crap at it, they are sacked/try something else.

In india they just change job and lie about their experience.

14 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

DECLARE GLOBAL FUCK;

DECLARE GLOBAL ARSE;

DECLARE PISSFLAPS();

ENDDEC:

LET ARSE = 10;

MINGE:

IF ARSE != FUCK THEN

[FUCK = FUCK + 1;

BRANCH MINGE;];

ELSE

CALL PISSFLAPS();];

XYY

I don't even want to think what you use as test data.

Once worked on a project where one of the development databases was simply full of potentially libellous material  such 'manager x is a nob jockey' etc ( in that instance the defence would have been the statement was undoubtedly true). Some of this data inadvertently got migrated to a customer test environment on a later occasion which caused a bit of fluttering in the dovecotts. Fortunately, most of the people involved either as perpetrators or victims had left by then so there was a swift and discreet cover up followed by some rather hurried 'data cleansing'.

6 minutes ago, Flirtygirty said:

I don't even want to think what you use as test data.

Once worked on a project where one of the development databases was simply full of potentially libellous material  such 'manager x is a nob jockey' etc ( in that instance the defence would have been the statement was undoubtedly true). Some of this data inadvertently got migrated to a customer test environment on a later occasion which caused a bit of fluttering in the dovecotts. Fortunately, most of the people involved either as perpetrators or victims had left by then so there was a discreet swift cover up followed by some rather hurried 'data cleansing'.

I once set-up an Overall Equipment Efficiency system using Microsoft Access. Operators on the production lines would key in hourly totals on line-side pcs, and all were stored on a central database on the network. I had to set-up access levels and passwords for all users.

My boss wasn't impressed when he found out his password was "stinks_of_piss"...

XYY

2 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

I once set-up an Overall Equipment Efficiency system using Microsoft Access. Operators on the production lines would key in hourly totals on line-side pcs, and all were stored on a central database on the network. I had to set-up access levels and passwords for all users.

My boss wasn't impressed when he found out his password was "stinks_of_piss"...

XYY

Im ok with sweary passwords.

Id have had bollocked for using Access. Bane of my cunting life. Bet you did the ptogramming in visual basic too.

• Similar Content

• By davidg
      Just started a different project. New project manager greets me
      "we heard you were good with Indian devs, worked 18 months with them already apparently"
      me: well I wouldn't say I was good
      "we're having a devil's job with our Bangaluru team, can't get any information out of them, we need to configure a new server but they won't tell us any details, we know they have the same setup, they say it is "difficult" and it would be easier if they set it up for us"
      So I call the indians, after a bit of chat with one of the devs I get
      "hah don't think we are going to roll over as easily as you guys did, let me tell you, there used to be some people in your location right who did all this stuff, 5 years ago like they were told to hand over to us as a cost cutting exercise right, we went over to work with your team to knowledge transfer right, after which they let your guys go, don't think we are going to give up the goods just like that right, we've heard talk of getting the Vietnamese to take over our role"