DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Retail Sales

The Masked Tulip

The Masked Tulip

I have been keeping an eye on a few UK retailers and some have done very good in the past month - NEXT being up 10% in about 4 weeks (Which peeved me off as I was looking to buy some.) - but it looks as if the British consumer is giving up spending.

British retail sales posted the biggest quarterly fall in seven years during the first three months of 2017, as rising prices since last year's Brexit vote started to pressure consumers.

Retail sales volumes contracted 1.4 percent in the first quarter following a 0.8 percent rise in the last three months of 2016, the Office for National Statistics said on Friday.

That was the biggest quarterly fall since the first quarter of 2010, and is likely to reinforce the view among many economists that household spending - the main driver of the economy - is now slowing.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-economy-retail-idUKKBN17N0V3

The Masked Tulip
38 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

From what I have seen. NEXT is basically a credit card with a clothes shop attached. Sort of upmarket Littlewoods.

Yes, I have read that. I need to look more into their debt levels. I believe they bought back a load of their shares in recent years.

I go to local bigger cities/towns around me quite often. Rarely buy anything apart from quality clothing or anything else I'm looking for from charity shops. 

Occasionally I look in chain shops where I generally like some of the clothing. If I see something I like I look on eBay and often get the item I like second hand for a fraction of the price. 

Lots of empty shops in Dumfries and smaller towns in my area. Dumfries is dismal. Often on a Saturday the lack of people makes you think it could be Sunday. I wouldn't be surprised if the Debenhams there closed. Hardly any independent shops in Dumfries. You'd think with the Rabbie Burns connection the place could be marketed better!

One town in this area, Castle Douglas, is an exception. It rarely has empty units and many expensive shops have been around for years. Most of the shops are independent and it markets itself as "the food town". 

Wight Flight
7 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

I think there needs to be a poll on when you last went high St shopping. mine was probably 3 years ago. 

In the UK, I would guess about 1992. And I am not joking.