• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

spunko

Questions that Google won't answer thread

I come across a few of these so decided to start a thread. Here's mine for today, does anyone know?

1. Why do supermarket delivery vans make that weird muted reversing sound (ergh ergh ergh), when all other vans make a regular beep?

5 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

One that I want to know - often when mobile phone footage is shown, you get a vertical strip of clear image in the middle but the left and right sides are faded. Why?

because some idiot filmed it in portrait mode despite all display media using landscape - so they fill in the black with a faded copy of the main image.

8 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I come across a few of these so decided to start a thread. Here's mine for today, does anyone know?

1. Why do supermarket delivery vans make that weird muted reversing sound (ergh ergh ergh), when all other vans make a regular beep?

No idea, did you try Siri?

2 minutes ago, davidg said:

because some idiot filmed it in portrait mode despite all display media using landscape - so they fill in the black with a faded copy of the main image.

Thanks - that was obvious really but I don't have a thick phone.

This is a real long shot but I have never been able to find the answer.

Many, many years ago (early eighties?) Capital Radio ran a competition where they gave you some letter / number combination and you had to guess what they stood for. Examples would be:

5 = OR (Olympic rings)

1 = PH on a F (Prancing Horse on a Ferrari)

You get the idea.

Anyway, one question was 2 S of S. It went on for weeks but I think I was away when they got the correct answer. It has bugged me ever since. Anyone know?

Just now, Cunning Plan said:

This is a real long shot but I have never been able to find the answer.

Many, many years ago (early eighties?) Capital Radio ran a competition where they gave you some letter / number combination and you had to guess what they stood for. Examples would be:

5 = OR (Olympic rings)

1 = PH on a F (Prancing Horse on a Ferrari)

You get the idea.

Anyway, one question was 2 S of S. It went on for weeks but I think I was away when they got the correct answer. It has bugged me ever since. Anyone know?

http://www.square-bear.co.uk/ditloids/ditloid_solver.htm

nope.

Is it something like "Two sons of Solomon" - if it is I'll be amazed since I know nothing about that type of thing and yet it was the first thing that came to mind. 

4 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Bugger me - I never knew that they actually had a name or there was a solver. We used to send these out to our clients as a Christmas Quiz. Guess that wouldn't work nowadays.

3 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Is it something like "Two sons of Solomon" - if it is I'll be amazed since I know nothing about that type of thing and yet it was the first thing that came to mind. 

I have no idea. There were hundreds of guesses over the weeks but i never heard the actual correct answer.

1 minute ago, Cunning Plan said:

Bugger me - I never knew that they actually had a name or there was a solver. We used to send these out to our clients as a Christmas Quiz. Guess that wouldn't work nowadays.

I have no idea. There were hundreds of guesses over the weeks but i never heard the actual correct answer.

Did he have 2 sons though. Mmm this puzzle is going to wreak my head.

Just now, Scanner said:

The answer to the 2SofS question was 'Two sides of Stereo'.  I remember this because my (then) girlfriend screamed 'that's absolutely F...... crap' at the top of her voice.

I nominate this for the most boring first post ever.

You are a fucking star. But like your girlfriend I feel sadly let down.

And welcome aboard.

3 minutes ago, Scanner said:

The answer to the 2SofS question was 'Two sides of Stereo'.  I remember this because my (then) girlfriend screamed 'that's absolutely F...... crap' at the top of her voice.

Thanks as well :)

2 minutes ago, Scanner said:

Thanks for the welcome.  Some great conversation here - seems I've found the watering hole of the last few sane people in the country.   Excellent.

True. And XYY is also here (both of him)

23 minutes ago, Scanner said:

Thanks for the welcome.  Some great conversation here - seems I've found the watering hole of the last few sane people in the country.   Excellent.

That would make a great forum motto, even if it is demonstrably not true.

2 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

It is easier to localise the ergh, ergh noise (lots of frequency components) than the beep beep (comprised of one or two frequencies).  This is to help visually impaired people (and others, I suppose).  The supermarket trucks are just more visually impaired friendly than the average truck.

A similar trick was used for emergency vehicles a while ago, which used a broad spectrum noise (chhhh) every now and then in between the nee-naws.  This was meant to help listeners work out which direction the emergency vehicle was coming from -- it definitely worked, but I've not heard much of it recently, so perhaps it wasn't that useful in the real-world.

2 minutes ago, dgul said:

It is easier to localise the ergh, ergh noise (lots of frequency components) than the beep beep (comprised of one or two frequencies).  This is to help visually impaired people (and others, I suppose).  The supermarket trucks are just more visually impaired friendly than the average truck.

A similar trick was used for emergency vehicles a while ago, which used a broad spectrum noise (chhhh) every now and then in between the nee-naws.  This was meant to help listeners work out which direction the emergency vehicle was coming from -- it definitely worked, but I've not heard much of it recently, so perhaps it wasn't that useful in the real-world.

I am currently trying to master my farting technique to be totally location indecipherable.

Still a bit of a way to go.

5 hours ago, Scanner said:

Might be boring - but it's excused you from being placed on PS4 and Diet Pepsi watch.

Welcome to DOSBODS you boring cunt..!

;)

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man

29 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

I just asked Google "Why?" and it wouldn't give me a simple, straightforward answer. Useless.

I got pretty much the same treatment many years ago when I asked the then market-leading search engine "Jeeves" if he took it up the shitter...

XYY