• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Depression and running

2 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Saw this last night, interesting programme. That woman who's kid died and her fella topped himself ... jesus that was so rough.

I've found exercise has really helped me with my down times. You get a real buzz from intense exercise. Kickboxing to beat the shit out of some pads and get fitter, stronger.  Jitsu to be able to control an attacker, take them down, control them. Then have the same done to you to get your humbleness.

Also links into your diet as you have to eat better and healthier to keep training, plus cut down on the booze. All good.

I've started running too and met with a nice bunch of people at the local parkrun event.  

10 minutes ago, JFK said:

Saw this last night, interesting programme. That woman who's kid died and her fella topped himself ... jesus that was so rough.

I've found exercise has really helped me with my down times. You get a real buzz from intense exercise. Kickboxing to beat the shit out of some pads and get fitter, stronger.  Jitsu to be able to control an attacker, take them down, control them. Then have the same done to you to get your humbleness.

Also links into your diet as you have to eat better and healthier to keep training, plus cut down on the booze. All good.

I've started running too and met with a nice bunch of people at the local parkrun event.  

Hear hear

Nothing beats exercise (especially running) as a way to get rid of the blues.

Its not running, just going out for a brisk walk for a couple of hours clears your head and busts your brain.

Try telling that to the miserable obese moody cunt who works eith my partner.

17 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Its not running, just going out for a brisk walk for a couple of hours clears your head and busts your brain.

Try telling that to the miserable obese moody cunt who works eith my partner.

It's that two hours that's important. The first half hour or so of a walk my mind's chattering away with the usual internal dialogues but then it slowly goes quiet and it's you in nature focusing upon being part of it.

If there was a drug that could do that I'd pay good money for it.

8 hours ago, JFK said:

Talking of which went to muay Thai tonight after just sticking to boxing for last 6 weeks or so. Fuck me it's hard. 

50 kicks on the heavy bags each leg to start - then pads with a partner for the rest. I got paired up with some rather handy Spanish bloke.

Covered in bruises. And that's through the pads. I think i need a while to toughen up. :Old:

Still enjoyed it. Hows the Chinese going ? 

Heavy cold last week, and been feeling rather low energy wise for most of this week. Got my first run in yesterday since Monday (when 3 miles nearly exhausted me). Still quite hard work yesterday, but 4 miles in - the magic kicked in and I was enjoying it by the end. 

16 hours ago, Dipsy said:

(provided you can make the effort to get started!)

You don't have to go for a run, just put your shoes on to see how it feels. You dont have to go for a run, just go and have a look out the front door to see what the weather's like. You dont have to go for a run, but you may as well stretch your legs a bit while you're out here...

12 hours ago, ccc said:

Talking of which went to muay Thai tonight after just sticking to boxing for last 6 weeks or so. Fuck me it's hard. 

50 kicks on the heavy bags each leg to start - then pads with a partner for the rest. I got paired up with some rather handy Spanish bloke.

Covered in bruises. And that's through the pads. I think i need a while to toughen up. :Old:

Still enjoyed it. Hows the Chinese going ? 

Muay thai is just insane.  the conditioning is something else. Tried kicking on thai pads before and they are TOUGH. My shin bones fucking hurt the next day. 

Chinese kickboxing is going well, easter break at the moment but classes starting up again next week.  did my orange sash grading before easter,  a real tough one it was.  half hour of technical stuff - punch drills, kick drills, punch kick combos, 3 sets of elbow striking kata drills. Then half hour of fitness testing, lots of pylometrics, push-ups, pumps, 125 situps. 4 minute horse stance at the end.  couldn't move for 2 days afterwards.

We do some muay thai type striking in terms of clinch, elbows and kicking style, it requires a fair bit of strength and conditioning which has helped my mental mood more than other exercises. also started doing absorption drills, body conditioning absorption drills , basically taking hits.  running has helped my endurance which feed into kickboxing training too.

Just remembered the wonderful leg days.  lessons just on kicking.  we use kick shields to hold so you feel the strikes from your partner, plus it's body conditioning.  we did a class of punching drills then straight onto kick drills, lower leg roundhouse drills, both legs.  sets of 10 each side no breaks, then right -left kicks,  sets of 10 no rest between.  then a left punch, right kick, right punch,  left kick sets of 10 etc.  finished off with 1 min continous right kicks,  1 minute continuous left kicks.  10s rest between sets.  that was some session!

50 minutes ago, JFK said:

Just remembered the wonderful leg days.  lessons just on kicking.  we use kick shields to hold so you feel the strikes from your partner, plus it's body conditioning.  we did a class of punching drills then straight onto kick drills, lower leg roundhouse drills, both legs.  sets of 10 each side no breaks, then right -left kicks,  sets of 10 no rest between.  then a left punch, right kick, right punch,  left kick sets of 10 etc.  finished off with 1 min continous right kicks,  1 minute continuous left kicks.  10s rest between sets.  that was some session!

Are you sure you are fit to work at a desk? That's not office friendly!

20 minutes ago, eight said:

I always think that people who like running are running from something.

Indeed a destination is better than just an escape.

I do cycling as I have a trashed disc, force myself to go out at least every other day for 20 miles or so and it makes all the difference. If I did not go out I would spend an unhealthy amount of time on here, on the net, eating crap and getting fat and depressed.

Set myself a mileage target for the year and enter a couple of sportive thingies over the summer to spice it up.

Ride with friends midweek to break the week into 2 nice halves as well.

Find this has 3 effects.

1. Reduces stress, gets me away from things and stops depression.

2. Keeps me from getting stress related bowel problems.

3. Prevents back pain (once spent six weeks on pain killers sleeping on the floor).