• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Politicians again demonstrate how clueless they are

Just now, Lone Lurker said:

Mandatory minimum wage also makes many of them too expensive to employ.

Also a very good point.

If you can recruit an experienced adult on minimum wage who is experienced, is good with customers, and will always turn up on time then you're not going to be interested in employing a schoolchild in their first job. 

If the schoolchild was on half or a third of the adult hourly rate then you might be.  (I'm aware that it is lower, but not by that much).

Posted (edited)

No gumption Esther McVey is not fit to do the job of work and pensions secretary. 

Apart from anything else even the So-Called BBC was saying on the radio a few days ago that the concept of weekends in relation to work, with the implication of a period of relaxation, was gone.  They're weekends in name only.

Kids would be better off looking up the benefit rules and loopholes.

Edited by twocents

47 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Also a very good point.

If you can recruit an experienced adult on minimum wage who is experienced, is good with customers, and will always turn up on time then you're not going to be interested in employing a schoolchild in their first job. 

If the schoolchild was on half or a third of the adult hourly rate then you might be.  (I'm aware that it is lower, but not by that much).

Year 25 and over 21 to 24 18 to 20 Under 18 Apprentice
April 2017 (current) £7.50 £7.05 £5.60 £4.05 £3.50
April 2018 £7.83 £7.38 £5.90 £4.20 £3.70

4 minutes ago, twocents said:

Incidentally what Esther McVey said is grossly offensive as well as ageist and in her criticism hateful towards children - aka hate crime.

Go on, go on, go on, report her :D

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Lone Lurker said:

Go on, go on, go on, report her :D

:)

I don't agree with the idea of banning free speech and the laws on hate speech.  I don't like "hate" speech but it's excessive to legally ban it and to make it a crime - encouraging violence isn't acceptable and is a different matter. 

I think it's worthwhile always pointing out the hypocrisy of those making such crazy and indeed hateful laws and similarly for those that advocate them and also the unfair and biased way they're applied.

In due course I hope those laws are repealed and the sooner the better.

Having said that maybe someone should indeed report her as that seems to be what her government advocates.  How about you :P

Edited by twocents

1 hour ago, Cunning Plan said:

Under 18, nmw is £4.25 per hour. Full rate is £7.83

The young know they are being abused. They have to pay full adult bus fare to get to work, and only get 60% of the money for doing the same job.

Would you put up with that?

4.25 an hour is derisory. I’m going back more years than I care to remember here but 40 years ago, I was earring 1.20 an hour and could keep my tips. Wages for the young clearly seem to have stagnated. 

In 1976, a gallon of petrol was 77 pence, so I could buy just over 1.5 gallons with an hours work.  Now, it is around 5.36 a gallon, so a young person could only purchase about 80 percent of a gallon.

a pint of beer was .32, so I could buy 3.7 pints.  Now a pint is around 3.00, so a young person today could buy less than one and a half pints. 

In terms of housing, 11519 was the average price, so 9599 hours to buy a house.  Now, 211792 so 49833 hours to buy a house. 

Young people are fucked. 

4 hours ago, One percent said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43604148

Schoolchildren should get part-time jobs to help prepare them for the work environment, the work and pensions secretary has said.

Esther McVey said she did not think they were "lazy" but there had been a "significant decrease" in the number of teenagers working on a Saturday.

She told the Daily Telegraph there had been a fall of up to 60% in the numbers of young people with weekend jobs.

As a result many lacked the "soft skills" needed for work, she said.

"What you've seen from the 1980s, particularly in this country, is far fewer people doing Saturday jobs and doing jobs after school," she said in an interview with the newspaper.

She said the fall in Saturday jobs could partly be as a result of an increased focus on school work.

oh ffs. They are either really stupid or duplicitous bastards. 

The main reason why young people don’t work is that government has flooded that end of the labour market with cheap (taxpayer supported) immigrants, mainly from EE. 

I WISH THEY WOULD JUST FUCK OFF WITH THEIR ADVICE. 

As a teenager I did gardening jobs, paper rounds, and worked in the pub for pocket money.

Jobs one and three are now done by EE labour

Job two no longer exists in any size

well done pro immigration government

3 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Another excellent point Sarah, adding to the list of why nobody employs schoolchildren on Saturday jobs.

We get this rubbish at work, with which HR has to deal, just to have work experience kids from the local school for a week.

They're totally useless (not their fault, any inexperienced person would be) and we're only taking them for good community relations yet you have to jump through all these hoops for something that is actually a detriment to you rather than a benefit.

No small company would bother doing that good deed as soon as they saw the paperwork.

We were also asked to take a student on a placement for a year, NMW and no grant.  Right, so we have to pay commercial rates for somebody we don't actually want in the first place.  That one was thankfully a "no".

I do the school work experience things just out of pure altruism, so they can see wgat certain companies ive worked for do.

We spend tge time explaining odds and sods, show products, processes.

We give them some easy shit to do.

We had a teacher round, to oversee what was hapening. Oh youll be selling what they do for millions shes jested .... but thought that was true.

To be frank, it would be more worthwhile sending teachers out for work experience rather than the kids.

4 hours ago, One percent said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43604148

Schoolchildren should get part-time jobs to help prepare them for the work environment, the work and pensions secretary has said.

Esther McVey said she did not think they were "lazy" but there had been a "significant decrease" in the number of teenagers working on a Saturday.

She told the Daily Telegraph there had been a fall of up to 60% in the numbers of young people with weekend jobs.

As a result many lacked the "soft skills" needed for work, she said.

"What you've seen from the 1980s, particularly in this country, is far fewer people doing Saturday jobs and doing jobs after school," she said in an interview with the newspaper.

She said the fall in Saturday jobs could partly be as a result of an increased focus on school work.

oh ffs. They are either really stupid or duplicitous bastards. 

The main reason why young people don’t work is that government has flooded that end of the labour market with cheap (taxpayer supported) immigrants, mainly from EE. 

I WISH THEY WOULD JUST FUCK OFF WITH THEIR ADVICE. 

Not sexy Esther.

Labour, Blair esp.

Its not from the 80s. Even in the mid 90s youd come across kids collevting glasses, washing up. Its good - theyll learn more doing that than sat with some unemployable loon teaching some wank subject.

Ftom 97, work has been regulated. Kids have been forced to stay in pointless education, nake work for the education sector at great detriment to 60% of the kids.

3 minutes ago, spygirl said:

To be frank, it would be more worthwhile sending teachers out for work experience rather than the kids.

Yes, one thousand times.

School, college, school = clueless idiots.

Teachers with work experience outside educational establishments are usually much better teachers in my experience.

2 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Not sexy Esther.

Labour, Blair esp.

Its not from the 80s. Even in the mid 90s youd come across kids collevting glasses, washing up. Its good - theyll learn more doing that than sat with some unemployable loon teaching some wank subject.

Ftom 97, work has been regulated. Kids have been forced to stay in pointless education, nake work for the education sector at great detriment to 60% of the kids.

In part. They have been forced to stay in education as a way of masking the massive youth unemployment rates. Not helped by the mass immigration policies. 

On 31/03/2018 at 17:17, One percent said:

In part. They have been forced to stay in education as a way of masking the massive youth unemployment rates. Not helped by the mass immigration policies. 

removed as requested

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

Is the stupid rule about staying on until 18?  If so, I wouldn’t worry. Apparently there are masses missing from the data. No one knows where the feck they are. 

Probably married and living in Pakistan.

But no, I won't sweat too much. I think we can go off radar for nine months.