• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

A hero in anyone’s book: R.I.P

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43606899

A UK soldier killed in Syria while in combat against the Islamic State group has been named as Sgt Matt Tonroe.

The 33-year-old, from the 3rd Battalion the Parachute Regiment, was killed by a roadside bomb on Thursday.

He had been embedded with US forces as part of a counter-terrorism operation.

Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said "his sacrifice, unflinching commitment

and at the same time, we let in, feed, house and clothe those that this soldier gave his life fighting. 

The cognitive dissonance is strong. 

2 minutes ago, JackieO said:

Sorry I'd call him a mug.

Just now, spygirl said:

You join up, transfer to SAS and get sent where youre sent.

I get that but it is the cognitive dissonance that I find breathtaking. 

On the one hand we send our young off to get killed. 

On the other, we welcome in, feed, clothe and house those that would kill them. 

We (as in the collective, sovereign we) need to decide whether we are at war, who with and then take appropriate action. 

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

I get that but it is the cognitive dissonance that I find breathtaking. 

On the one hand we send our young off to get killed. 

On the other, we welcome in, feed, clothe and house those that would kill them. 

We (as in the collective, sovereign we) need to decide whether we are at war, who with and then take appropriate action. 

Oh i agree.

The muzzer cunts need stopping.

Again a simple bump to 50k to bring in a foruegn spouse and move to contrib benefits will slam the door on them without having to target them specifically.

1 minute ago, spygirl said:

Oh i agree.

Again a simple bump to 50k to bring in a foruegn spouse and move to contrib benefits will slam the door on them without having to target them specifically.

And anyone who has fought for a proscribed organisation should be stopped from entering the country. 

I was surprised at this move and that it was headlines on the So-Called BBC 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43605896

1 minute ago, JackieO said:

Im not responsible in ANY WAY for our young  people sent off to fight eliites wargames Sorry

Not saying you are Jackie, I’m using ‘we’ as in the collective. The U.K. government would be more accurate I guess 

Edited by One percent
Crapple

1 minute ago, One percent said:

I preferred the unedited version. It was a stronger statement. o.O

Hmmmm. Sometimes the editor goes mad and gets stuck in a multiplication mode...

2 hours ago, spygirl said:

Oh i agree.

Too late. They were taking the piss in the 80's, never mind now.

3 hours ago, JackieO said:

Sorry I'd call him a mug.

Written in freedom, secured by people like Sgt Tonroe either now or in times past.

Your comment says much more about you than Sgt Tonroe.

Edited by Zanu Bob

As an embedded soldier in the US forces he would have been under American command, wearing an American uniform and using American weapons. In essence (if one can excuse the distasteful pun) he was "bodyshopped" into the mission. Similar things have been going on with RAF pilots who quite routinely fly US planes now as part of US squadrons. I suppose it makes sense since this country now struggles to deploy its military overseas without US assistance.

1 minute ago, Virgil Caine said:

As an embedded soldier in the US forces he would have been under American command, wearing an American uniform and using American weapons. In essence (if one can excuse the distasteful pun) he was "bodyshopped" into the mission. Similar things have been going on with RAF pilots who quite routinely fly US planes now as part of US squadrons. I suppose it makes sense since this country now struggles to deploy its military overseas without US assistance.

I sincerely doubt he'd have been wearing foreign uniform.Our troops often deploy,as you rightly point out due to cost/manpower issues,under the command of US officers.

They are complaining that they won't get a "fair trial".

I dare say British men who went and fought for Germany in WW2 complained about the same.   Long prison sentences seemed the norm and at least one was executed - and some would say although traitors their actions weren't as savagely brutal.

Edited by twocents

ive a stepson who has done 2 tours of iraq/afgan he tried for a 3rd,he is a sapper so is in at the thin end ie ieds finding and defuseing but he says the officers like to defuse has much has possable,he is has cynical about life has me he knows he is a pawn but he loves it.he boxes for his regiment and is in for the full duration ,they even went to canada for cold weather training for 6 weeks before going iraq ie piss up.he even spent 2 months in the falklands extending a runway ie royal engineers.he aready has every license under the sun and says it got him out of the uk and stoke.he makes me laugh if he visits he always says dad number 2 have you got any beers in and can we watch zulu lol.

27 minutes ago, twocents said:

I dare say British men who went and fought for Germany in WW2 complained about the same.   Long prison sentences seemed the norm and at least one was executed - and some would say although traitors their actions weren't as savagely brutal.

the french who sided with with the nazis basicly fought to the death has berlin fell.they knew they were fooked either way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/33rd_Waffen_Grenadier_Division_of_the_SS_Charlemagne_(1st_French)

Edited by stokiescum

6 minutes ago, Zanu Bob said:

I sincerely doubt he'd have been wearing foreign uniform.Our troops often deploy,as you rightly point out due to cost/manpower issues,under the command of US officers.

Well some were wearing US uniforms in 2015 if this article in the independent is to be believed

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/sas-troops-dressed-in-us-uniforms-and-joined-special-forces-on-isis-abu-sayyaf-overnight-raid-in-10448018.html

21 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

if he was seconded he will be wearing there uniform,the sas has far has i know get to pick there own weaponry within reason.not just the standard sa80.the same will apply to yanks seconded to our armed forces.

And yet these two pricks who betrayed their country for some traitorous ideology whine for their UK legal rights.  Every day they continue to draw breath is abhorrent to me.

6 minutes ago, GARCH said:

And yet these two pricks who betrayed their country for some traitorous ideology whine for their UK legal rights.  Every day they continue to draw breath is abhorrent to me.

Yep they  committed atrocities in Syria they should be tried in that country ,regardless off their nationality 

1 hour ago, Zanu Bob said:

Written in freedom, secured by people like Sgt Tonroe either now or in times past.

Your comment says much more about you than Sgt Tonroe.

Nah. Freedom was secured by ordinary people conscripted in WWI and WWII not professional soldiers.

50 minutes ago, the gardener said:

Nah. Freedom was secured by ordinary people conscripted in WWI and WWII not professional soldiers.

sad but true,another one is that the battle of britain was won by the spitfire.... the guy that designed the spitfire was from stoke but he cant claim that acolade the hurricane won the battle of britain the spitfire was the best plane by the end of ww2.

8 hours ago, Virgil Caine said:

Hed have kept his UK flag.

The merkins are good in thatll let you pick and choose your kit. They are very genorous to deployed soldiers, no expense spared.

Some merkin boots and unifirms are better. Some are not.

Special forces have  reasonable range of choice on rifles and small arms. Most us oz eutopean weapins are common i.e. tgey all go for best weapons.

7 hours ago, the gardener said:

Sadly no.

Cannon fodder.

Unless a war is eon in days, it then becomes a war of attrition - first country to run out of ammo, food, fuel loses.

Better supplies and logistics win long running wars, not brave squaddie from factories.