• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Libspero

Phone Hacking.. Yes or No

Posted (edited)

From a Telegraph story today:

Police forces across country have been quietly rolling out technology which allows them to download the entire contents of victim's phone without a warrant. 

At least 26 forces now use technology which allows them to to extract location data, conversations on encrypted apps, call logs, emails, text messages, photographs, passwords and internet searches among other information. 

Apparently this was first introduced in 2012,  yet US authorities claimed they couldn’t access the phone of a gunman just a couple of years ago.

Admittedly,  it isn’t clear from the article whether they need a user password to access the data..  but the implication is no user consent is required.  It is also reported as being used for very low level crime,  both from suspects and victims..  and the data taken isn’t selective,  it’s bulk.

Any IT bods here know more about this kind of technology,  and if the police have it,  do criminal gangs have it yet?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/03/31/police-rolling-technology-allows-raid-victims-phones-without/

Edited by Libspero

Id call BS.

A lot of the Telegraph is becomign like a The Exporess.

What type of phone - iOS, Android, Series 60? Eachone would require hacking seprately, and the all hte variants of each.

Lolcation data is help by the base station, not the phone. When you move, it goes.

Someone ones sold idiot police a pig in the poke.

If it's running certain versions of iOS, just ask Siri to look at the photos and you'll have full access to the phone, bypassing the lock screen. Apple have been very lax with security and IIRC that bug afflicted more than one version of the OS.

I don't regard my Android mobile, nor indeed any phone, as actually secure by any reasonable definition. These things are rushed out very quickly which is why they're usually full of bugs that can be exploited.

I don't use the face recognition thing (you just bring the phone up near your face and it unlocks). I try to remember to disable the thumb scanner when I go out. Just in case it is stolen. The best security is the pass key.

Interfacing with the phone will require different software for different phones. It is not beyond the wit of anyone to come up with something that can "crack" a particular phone or OS but what works for one won't work for another.

Probably the most representative example of how it's done is shown in the TV series Hunted. Since most people use the same password for multiple services, what you primarily need is the password for their mailbox. Once you have that you can then request password resets from multiple sites and the data is gleaned that way, not so much from the phone itself - indeed the phone need not be involved at all since most stuff - like email (IMAP) is stored "in the cloud" and the phone simply has a copy. So there are easier ways to get that information. Get yourself logged into their Google account and in many cases you'll be able to see everywhere they've been.

A short time spent on someone's public Facebook page is likely to give you their password. Look at names of relatives, child's ages, favourite pop groups.. or request a password reminder and answer the security question. You'll find the answer (first pet, favourite place) on their social media feeds.

If you're reading the above and that makes you uncomfortable then it should. Change your passwords.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, spygirl said:

Id call BS.

A lot of the Telegraph is becomign like a The Exporess.

What type of phone - iOS, Android, Series 60? Eachone would require hacking seprately, and the all hte variants of each.

Lolcation data is help by the base station, not the phone. When you move, it goes.

Someone ones sold idiot police a pig in the poke.

And the government have not got that tech  i don`t believe that for one minute man make man it will break it even if there`s no back doors 

I would be skeptical about GPS in any device ,sat navs holds the lot for moths 

Edited by Long time lurking