• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
man o' the year

Just back from Church

9 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

I don't attend mass very often. Although as a school child I did occasionally. Last time I went, about 20 years ago, I took my prayer book that I had been given as a present when at school. It has the masses, organised by the dates they should be held. Its in Latin, but the mass I last went to was spoken in English. Just didn't seem right to me, plus I was caught out not being able to know when to stand, sit and so on. I had to follow those who knew. 

I prefer the traditional mass in Latin.

There is a listing here

https://lms.org.uk/mass-listings

On 21/07/2018 at 12:11, Hopeful said:

Gosh, missed this thread. Notice it began on April 1 - fitting

Why would anyone go to Church (or any sky fairy gathering - let's not pick on CofE),

I was sent to Church as a kid - I was a vehicle for my parents to look respectable and for a bonus, it got rid of me for Sunday Morning.

As far as I could make out, and still do, it was, do as you are told: stand up, sit down, stand up, kneel down, sing this, say that, listen to this, occasionally drink from a cup after someone else, shake hands and now clear off. Oh, and I got to know Bishop Peter Ball.

Next contact with a vicar, and I can't post this often enough, was when my Aunt died and she bequeathed the village Vicar £1000 (Note: the Vicar, not the 'Church' ), and he subsequently wrote to me asking if there had been a mistake as he always thought she would leave him £10,000.

Church ? no thanks.

Some quiet time in nature watching a butterfly warm its wings, or marveling at a flower, or watching an ant carrying something 10 times its size, is good for me.

All respect to the OP, but Church is not for me.

I take your point. To me churchgoing however is similar to the bit you describe in bold. It's not a quiet time in nature as such, more a quiet time in a spiritual realm which is linked to that of nature, somehow part of it but beyond it also.