• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Melchett

Films to depress the f**k out of you

I found the cheery films thread too cheery so, please suggest movies that will leave you wanting to top yourself:

Das Boot

Salvador

Silent Running

And because I started the thread, I’m going to claim a bonus movie:

The Wall

The Three Billy Goats Gruff - gratuitous violence and hardly a fair characterisation of a portfolio landlord merely trying to make ends meet in the face of government interference. Seeing it on YouTube literally made my blood boil.

Mind you, Peter Jackson's depiction of BTL landlords trying to rent out an open-plan cottage in The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey was hardly sympathetic - making us look stupid and perpetuating the myth that we turn to stone in daylight. It's just a skin condition caused by the stress of this evil government trying to rob me. Did I tell you how clever I am?

I liked the original but I think within the NINE sequels you will find a depressing one.

Nine, I only found that out the other day.

Film Director Writer(s) Producer(s)
Hellraiser (1987) Clive Barker Christopher Figg
Hellbound: Hellraiser II (1988) Tony Randel Peter Atkins
Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth (1992) Anthony Hickox Christopher Figg & Lawrence Mortorff
Hellraiser: Bloodline (1996) Kevin Yagher Nancy Rae Stone
Hellraiser: Inferno (2000) Scott Derrickson Paul Harris Boardman & Scott Derrickson W. K. Border & Joel Soisson
Hellraiser: Hellseeker (2002) Rick Bota Carl Dupre & Tim Day Michael Leahy & Ron Schmidt
Hellraiser: Deader (2003) Neal Marshall Stevens & Tim Day David Greathouse & Ron Schmidt
Hellraiser: Hellworld (2005) Carl Dupre Ron Schmidt
Hellraiser: Revelations (2011) Victor García Gary J. Tunnicliffe Aaron Ockman & Joel Soisson
Hellraiser: Judgment (2018) Gary J. Tunnicliffe Michael Leahy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellraiser_(franchise)

In the Valley of Elah.

Susan Sarandon and Billy Bob Thornton. Although it was well worth watching imo, it's too depressing to watch again. It involves young GIs in Iraq.

Posted (edited)
On 4/6/2018 at 20:27, The Masked Tulip said:

The Poseidon Adventure - adventure as in 1000's of people die but let's cheer on the few who survive.

Aye.

Richard Attenborough's "Ghandi" was exactly the same.

And fucking "Zulu"..!!!

;)

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man

Apart from the character assassination of Pvt. Henry Hook, who was actually teetotal, Zulu (1964) is good fun. The tribesmen extras didn't 'get it' until they were shown a Tom Mix movie. 'Ah, it's play fighting, let's do this'.

On 07/04/2018 at 17:42, jm51 said:

In the Valley of Elah.

Susan Sarandon and Billy Bob Thornton. Although it was well worth watching imo, it's too depressing to watch again. It involves young GIs in Iraq.

I think it’s an underrated film - it’s actually a different red necked named actor Tommy Lee Jones - swept under the carpet a bit because it has an uncomfortable message, particularly to a US audience. I don’t really find it depressing as such.

I like the Fly 2 think it gets written off a bit because it’s a bit too dark and does its thing almost too well.

'The Last American Virgin'

Has a brutal ending which is so true to life that all young males should see it.

1 hour ago, eight said:

The Constant Gardener was on last night. Not exactly the cheeriest film ever made.

I made the mistake of watching that on a long haul flight once. Wish Id stuck to Hedwig And The Angry Inch. Or the inflight shopping magazine. :(