• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Inoperational Bumblebee

Fantasy garage

So we've bought a new house without a garage and it was one of my stipulations that I must have one.

Thankfully there's space to build one, so I actually get to build one exactly to my spec!

Current wants are space for multiple motorbikes and tools to work on them, a leather chair to smoke cigars in, maybe cigar and wine storage. Security needs to be good.

If you had to design your ultimate man cave with a budget of twenty grand (bikes and tools not included), what would you do? Thought it might be fun to share!

Double garage width lengthened and split into 2 parts - separately walled off workshop area at the back which can be the man cave bit too. Maybe 1/3, 2/3.

If you go pp route you could build just a bit higher and  have a man cave / office upstairs.

Roller shutter type garage door to allow maximum use of roof space for storage. 

Insulated and heating - if only with a cheapo woodburner for winter use.

7 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Electric door.
Side door.
Big enough for two cars but to never have two cars in.
Loft space for storage. 

Ours has my greenhouse on the window wall with a socket through for the propagator etc. 

Deffo side door as don't want to be opening up main door to get in and out frequently. Steel side door for security.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-49960431.html

Garaging - The property is served by what can only be described as fabulous garaging.

Triple Garage - This with granite cobbling before it has logier with stone pillars and three extremely high quality automatically operated up and over doors. The triple garage is principally used as a workshop with beautiful tiled floor, painted walls and integrated kitchen style units with working surface, stainless steel sink unit, plumbing for a washing machine and the like. This garage with a painted ceiling and large amount of lighting points is exceptional because the garage is beneath the annex. Consideration could be given for this to become other usage subject of course to the necessary consents i.e in conjunction with the annex or indeed in conjunction with the house i.e snooker room, home office or similar. The garage has a boiler room and w.c. It should be noted that the triple garage and the showroom garage are heated.

Showroom Garage - The showroom garage is heated and fitted with a dehumidification system. This is an exceptional garage with space for ten motor cars. There is a full tiled floor, painted walls and painted ceiling with sophisticated lighting system. It is served by a personal door and is alarmed. There is a bank of units with granite working surface with integrated stainless steel sink unit with mixer tap over. The garage is also wired for sound and is accessed via two large high quality automatically operated up and over doors.

(And yes I am sad enough to have kept the link)

1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

Showroom Garage - The showroom garage is heated and fitted with a dehumidification system. This is an exceptional garage with space for ten motor cars. There is a full tiled floor, painted walls and painted ceiling with sophisticated lighting system. It is served by a personal door and is alarmed. There is a bank of units with granite working surface with integrated stainless steel sink unit with mixer tap over. The garage is also wired for sound and is accessed via two large high quality automatically operated up and over doors.

Reminds me of an Ebay purchase pickup many moons ago. Slightly smaller garage off the main house, various exotica. The barn next door had been turned into a hanger and the field I drove up to gain access to the house was actually the complementary airstrip. Nice bloke though, very unassuming, we had a long chat about engineering and how it had changed in the UK.

I don't think it's going turn out as exciting as I hoped unless I go for planning permission! Still, a garage will be exciting. Family have had difficulties with local planners, though he could just have wound them up.

I'm going to chat to the neighbours and see if they've got much to say as there are a few that have been built along the back. Next door's looks huge, so they will probably be first on the list.

1 hour ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

I don't think it's going turn out as exciting as I hoped unless I go for planning permission! Still, a garage will be exciting. Family have had difficulties with local planners, though he could just have wound them up.

I'm going to chat to the neighbours and see if they've got much to say as there are a few that have been built along the back. Next door's looks huge, so they will probably be first on the list.

Quite often the case nowadays, you think the current extended permitted development rights are generous until you look at the practialities of what you can do under PD and you find out how it compromises what you really want - then you have to go for PP anyway. Unattached non dwelling permitted development is still surprisingly generous (outside of conservation areas etc) - up to half of garden area can be used to siting outbuildings, the gotcha is height limits so everything firmly single storey under pp rules.

Edited by onlyme

On 02/04/2018 at 14:45, sarahbell said:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-49960431.html

Garaging - The property is served by what can only be described as fabulous garaging.

Triple Garage - This with granite cobbling before it has logier with stone pillars and three extremely high quality automatically operated up and over doors. The triple garage is principally used as a workshop with beautiful tiled floor, painted walls and integrated kitchen style units with working surface, stainless steel sink unit, plumbing for a washing machine and the like. This garage with a painted ceiling and large amount of lighting points is exceptional because the garage is beneath the annex. Consideration could be given for this to become other usage subject of course to the necessary consents i.e in conjunction with the annex or indeed in conjunction with the house i.e snooker room, home office or similar. The garage has a boiler room and w.c. It should be noted that the triple garage and the showroom garage are heated.

(And yes I am sad enough to have kept the link)

Not ghetto enough, a bit too lottery winner for my taste.

Power, water (ideally hot), heating, natural light, security, comfort, space. That's what I would want. 

I'm keen in @Oskar's basement idea, that could get you two storeys without having to go for PP too.

Anyway, lucky you, hope you enjoy your new home, and whatever garage you end up with.

On ‎16‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 11:51, Carl Fimble said:

I would really like a garage door like this :

Filuma-027-600x260.jpg

Normal looking from the outside.

attachment-php-attachmentid-712045-elega

But lets light through.

I phoned (Filuma I think the company was called) and asked for a rough idea of cost, £2k ish not including fitting!!

Said pretty much just that on another thread.