• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

The Congo in turmoil again

Not turned on Sky News for some time. The headline is mass fighting, genocide and starvation in the Congo. Lots of heart-breaking footage of dead people and staring children.

Is this something that has just happened? Or has the TV News been covering this for months? The UN wants money so I imagine some celeb will be launching an appeal soon.

The Congo is staggeringly huge. You can't help but feel for an image of a 9 year old who is reponsible for two younger siblings and has no idea of where her parents are or whether they are alive. But.... as Ned Stark says in 'Game of Thrones', everything before "But" is crap.

Is the media manipulating us again?

3 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Not turned on Sky News for some time. The headline is mass fighting, genocide and starvation in the Congo. Lots of heart-breaking footage of dead people and staring children.

Is this something that has just happened? Or has the TV News been covering this for months? The UN wants money so I imagine some celeb will be launching an appeal soon.

The Congo is staggeringly huge. You can't help but feel for an image of a 9 year old who is reponsible for two younger siblings and has no idea of where her parents are or whether they are alive. But.... as Ned Stark says in 'Game of Thrones', everything before "But" is crap.

This has been going on there for years and years. One warlord replaces another, genocide ensues. Rinse and repeat. 

I'm not entirely sure what we are expected to do about it.

Yes, it has been going on for decades. One warlord replaces another. Lots of Western mining companies, many of them UK based, involved out there.

My point being - and I did not wish to say this straight out - whether we are being manipulated again by the media. Did this latest trouble just start this week or has it been going on for ages? I suspect the latter? So why the media now?

Are we going to be asked for cash? Are we going to send out a few hundred troops in a country the size of Western Europe? I suspect there is an agenda.

But when you are shown images of hungry kids with no one you feel a shit for saying so.

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Who???

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=drop+the+dead+donkey+damien+day+video&oq=drop+the+dead+donkey+damien+day+video&aqs=chrome..69i57.8075j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

people with well healed scars and then icky looking dirty bandage over another scar from same instance. cut off limbs heal as well as anything else.

1 minute ago, sarahbell said:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=drop+the+dead+donkey+damien+day+video&oq=drop+the+dead+donkey+damien+day+video&aqs=chrome..69i57.8075j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

people with well healed scars and then icky looking dirty bandage over another scar from same instance. cut off limbs heal as well as anything else.

Ah, yes. I got that jaded feeling watching the Sky News journo reporting from the Congo with her excited breathless stuff.

1 minute ago, whitevanman said:

I watched the Sky report with my brother today. He was expressing sympathy for the kids who'd been hacked by machetes. It is sad but I know that those people would have zero feeling for us if we were on the receiving end of a genocide. The whole of black Africa seems to be celebrating the genocide of white South Africans. 

I'm all out of sympathy for a people who hate me. 

Yes, where is the Sky News reports on what is happening to white people in South Africa?

Yes, it has been going on for decades. One warlord replaces another. Lots of Western mining companies, many of them UK based, involved out there.

My point being - and I did not wish to say this straight out - whether we are being manipulated again by the media. Did this latest trouble just start this week or has it been going on for ages? I suspect the latter? So why the media now?

Are we going to be asked for cash? Are we going to send out a few hundred troops in a country the size of Western Europe? I suspect there is an agenda.

But when you are shown images of hungry kids with no one you feel a shit for saying so.

It's a bit odd really. On one hand there is the Congo grimness but on the other hand, I'm reading a BBC article yesterday that is describing the kidnapping, murder and dissection of children for witchcraft purposes, (complete with a 'READERS MAY FIND THIS ARTICLE DISTURBING' warning) during the election period in Bumfuck, Africa.

So what am I supposed to do? I don't want to see genocide any more than the next person but, conversely, this seems to be a country in which chopping up children for voodoo is still an active practise.

Sorry, but Africa has a long, long way to go in terms of clawing it's way towards the enlightenment before I read stuff like this and don't think it's ingrained in the behavioural fabric of that country.

Only Africa can fix Africa.

36 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Last time it kicked off over there DRC i was supposed to been working in a power station there but lucky i had lost my passport and could not get a replacement in time the guys that went were evacuated by the US and UN in helicopters as the rebels were heading to the station in an attempt to knock out the power.. By all accounts they were cutting of body parts of the slain "enmy" and eating them

2 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

Last time it kicked off over there DRC i was supposed to been working in a power station there but lucky i had lost my passport and could not get a replacement in time the guys that went were evacuated by the US and UN in helicopters as the rebels were heading to the station in an attempt to knock out the power.. By all accounts they were cutting of body parts of the slain "enmy" and eating them

Gee, you were lucky.

I saw a film with a similar plot to that starring Owen Wilson. He went to work in a power plant in some Cambodia-like country, took his family and within 24 hours the locals had risen against the govt and had begun slaughtering all foreigners. Good film.

Gee, you were lucky.

I saw a film with a similar plot to that starring Owen Wilson. He went to work in a power plant in some Cambodia-like country, took his family and within 24 hours the locals had risen against the govt and had begun slaughtering all foreigners. Good film.

Can't stand chick flicks.

49 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Democratic Republic of the Congo. I should have said.

Always a good indicator of a shit run country when they have democratic in the name.

13 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Gee, you were lucky.

It was almost that i was supposed to be flying on the Monday and it was on the news on the Thursday that rebel forces were trying to over throw the government..i think it was/is the only powerstation in the country luckily for those that went the work  was for the main contractor for GE so it was a US interest and they were out within a few days

Edited by Long time lurking

12 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

Heart of Darkness.

This place was the plaything of the Belgian Royal family for over two decades at the end of the nineteenth century

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgian_Congo

The state contains 250 different ethnic groups so plenty of opportunity for trouble there.

cos diversity is strength

multiculturalism enriches us