• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

What factors make these places best?

Judging by some of the choices on that list an absolutely fucking whopping salary or trust fund would be one of the main deciding factors. I lived in one of them with a rubbish salary and my quality of life (and others on the same or similar amount)was pretty crap, believe me.

For me, the deciding factor would be how busy an area was. More jobs, less competition less dickheads to deal with on a daily basis. In fact, that's probably why the Orkneys reign supreme.

3 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Judging by some of the choices on that list an absolutely fucking whopping salary or trust fund would be one of the main deciding factors. I lived in one of them with a rubbish salary and my quality of life (and others on the same or similar amount)was pretty crap, believe me.

For me, the deciding factor would be how busy an area was. More jobs, less competition less dickheads to deal with on a daily basis. In fact, that's probably why the Orkneys reign supreme.

I love how you so often cut right to the heart of the matter.

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I would say that the primary cause of happiness in all cases is having a low population density.

I like Cornwall but it would be improved no end if the population was a quarter of what it is currently.

When you live in the south east, pretty much anywhere rural you go will be less populated, so an idyll.

if you live in a rural idyll that is overpopulated with second home owners and tourists from the south east (present company very much excepted) there are not many places left to go

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

It was Satre who said “he’ll is other people “. He had a point it seems 

I like other people.  I like my neighbours. I don't want a Father Ted house standing isolated in the middle of an empty field.

Equally I don't want to be living in an HMO with them.

There is enough room for people to have reasonable size detached houses on reasonable sized plots with off street parking; all of which would massively improve people's daily quality of life.

Yet we continue to build terraces and flats with insufficient parking just to make things that extra bit crap for people.

My office has insufficient parking; there is plenty of room for another ?forty cars if the lines were repainted herringbone style but the council has refused permission for us to do this.

Just so that they  can makeple's lives that little bit worse.

I can knock down Orkney instantly.

What ever metric they are using, its not one involving people living there.

Its a fucking cold, dark shutdown.

The islands get some oil slush fund, so they attract the mobile skaning loon. They arrive, they get dperessed and just sit their drinking all day.

Ryedale - yep, but aovid Pickering and malton, which now has a scottish level opiate problem.

Richmond - yes, but avoid thesqauddy areas.

Craven - yep, but boring.

Midland places - nope.

WInchester - no way. You are paying a vast premium to just not live in Soton or Bstoke.

As far as the metric being used - no muzzers and few migrants.

I live in a remote part of southern England which for various reasons can't be easily built over or readily accessed. The lack of people is one of the major attractions, as is the lack of commuters (so few stressed people) and the lack of nouveaux riche people (so few 'don't you know who I am' types or absent second homers). At the same time it is not a big enough or shite enough place to attract lots of immigrants or lots of native benefit-scroungers, chavs, dolies, junkies etc. It is pretty but not pretty enough to attract 'arty' types with leftist/SJW views. Most people here are self employed local types who have lived here for generations and thus feel a connection with the land and the village. 

2 minutes ago, 201p said:

Psst... Isles of Scilly.

I've never been there though.

I did seriously look at a job there and went for interview.

Other people may like it but for me it is just that bit too small out of season.  There are two thousand households and basically one shop: the Co-op.  In season: massive tourist influx.

If you want to go anywhere (hospital, theatre, cinema) then factor in the time cost of getting to the mainland first and then what do you do about a car when you get there?

It's a nice, friendly, beautiful place that I would absolutely recommend to anyone for a holiday but I had a good look and decided that realistically I wouldn't want to live there.

9 hours ago, spygirl said:

WInchester - no way. You are paying a vast premium to just not live in Soton or Bstoke.

Quite. Was brought up there. Houses hugely expensive (£500k for an old railwaymans terrace house) and the whole area massively overcrowded with the roads reaching critical congestion levels.

Orkney is like the rest of the UK was in the 60's. Hence it's appeal.

The climate is a major downside. Grey horizontal rain with no trees. 

These surveys are based on idiotic statistics used as a measure of quality...such as number of kids reaching 5 GCSE passes.

The reality is that there is a lot of mental health issues within the Orkney Islands.They attract people who cannot cope with living in towns or villages. They get centrifuged out of normal society and move to one of the islands and live in isolation in a wind-blown hovel. They have very little contact with other islanders...who are mostly sheep farmers.

I find the islands rather depressing myself and would also go mad living there.

10 minutes ago, Wahoo said:

Orkney is like the rest of the UK was in the 60's. Hence it's appeal.

The climate is a major downside. Grey horizontal rain with no trees. 

These surveys are based on idiotic statistics used as a measure of quality...such as number of kids reaching 5 GCSE passes.

The reality is that there is a lot of mental health issues within the Orkney Islands.They attract people who cannot cope with living in towns or villages. They get centrifuged out of normal society and move to one of the islands and live in isolation in a wind-blown hovel. They have very little contact with other islanders...who are mostly sheep farmers.

I find the islands rather depressing myself and would also go mad living there.

Agree about Orkney -- the 'doesn't make sense' part for me was that Orkney was #1 while Shetland was way down at the end of the list -- they're identical.  You even have to take the same ferry to get to them (albeit it takes another 8 hours to get to Shetland).  I like going to them for the 70's life experience, but you wouldn't want to live there (unless you've got a good reason, like family, say).

I suppose rural life (these days) is filled with two types of people:

• Rural folk that have always lived there and rate the place highly because they'd have moved if they didn't (and they don't know any better anyway).
  • Working folk that have made enough money to live where they want, and would move if they didn't.  Often these types don't actually like living in the rural place (not enough opportunities for culture, say), but as soon as they've worked it out they'll just move.  Or perhaps they won't -- I know a nice posh family that live in a massive place up in Scotland, and they're always going on about how lovely it is (and it is nice) -- but for some reason whenever I'm up there and call up they're in the flat in London*.

I'd suggest the places down the list are the sort of places that you'd have to suffer because you couldn't afford to live in the nice parts.

[* and it isn't because they hate me; we do meet up in London often enough.]

Having grown up in Rutland I thought it was pretty good.

Admittedly,   far better when it was a forgotten backwater of Leicestershire  (getting it's own county council really screwed the place up),  but even despite their best efforts it is still a reasonably nice place to live. Just lots of small villages and no big towns or cities.  Great.

1 hour ago, Libspero said:

Having grown up in Rutland I thought it was pretty good.

Admittedly,   far better when it was a forgotten backwater of Leicestershire  (getting it's own county council really screwed the place up),  but even despite their best efforts it is still a reasonably nice place to live. Just lots of small villages and no big towns or cities.  Great.

I thought the idea behind that was because people in the rural areas were fed up with their taxes going to fund millions of muzzers in Leicester. 

15 hours ago, Austin Allegro said:

I live in a remote part of southern England which for various reasons can't be easily built over or readily accessed. The lack of people is one of the major attractions, as is the lack of commuters (so few stressed people) and the lack of nouveaux riche people (so few 'don't you know who I am' types or absent second homers). At the same time it is not a big enough or shite enough place to attract lots of immigrants or lots of native benefit-scroungers, chavs, dolies, junkies etc. It is pretty but not pretty enough to attract 'arty' types with leftist/SJW views. Most people here are self employed local types who have lived here for generations and thus feel a connection with the land and the village. 

Sounds like the sort of place I am looking to move to. Any better clues?