• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Chewing Grass

Musicians you really miss because they are dead

Kurt Cobain. Right in my early Uni Years. He was dead.

Two years after his death I was in Aberdeen.  Washington State.

I was a student at the time in Aberdeen. Scotland.

Man both places were hard. The US version..real red neck and rough.

Respect. He gained entry into the 27 club and shouldnt have.

gettyimages-482357005_wide-76e319dc6f86aade99b548bcd533e0f3e7f74b56-s800-c85.jpg.83edda771d305772b6f292f454f5caba.jpg

2 hours ago, Royston said:

Another vote for Kurt Cobain.

Not just for his music, I loved the fact that he was so nihilistic, misanthropic and cynical... he'd fit right in on Dosbods!

He should have donated all his guitars to me, I hope Paul Maccy will, or Tony Iommi, or Elliot Easton, but I already have one of his. I don't want that Hendrix bloke's ones though as he was too tight to pay the $50 extra for a left handed one.

On 30/04/2017 at 01:54, Van Lady said:

I miss Freddie Mercury. Fab, over the top front man to a clever group of musicians. I like a lot of their songs.

IMO he was a deep down lonely guy who succumbed to a disease while on a quest to find "love".

Queen were outstanding at that live aid gig in the 80's?

I'm not sure giving your arse to half the gay men in New York, Berlin, London and all round the planet is the wisest way to try and find love! 

But yes, one of the greats. Here he is while still young and strong, before the age of machines that correct your voice, performing live and nailing every note like an opera star while putting on a show. I doubt if there'l be another like him.

42 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

I'm not sure giving your arse to half the gay men in New York, Berlin, London and all round the planet is the wisest way to try and find love! 

But yes, one of the greats. Here he is while still young and strong, before the age of machines that correct your voice, performing live and nailing every note like an opera star while putting on a show. I doubt if there'l be another like him.

Funny you mention this, was just watching this gig the other day. The first Queen gig that got me hooked was the Wembely 86 one but IMO the Montreal 81 gig represents Queen at their prime; stick on a good set of headphones and watch this and imagine how amazing it would have been to be there (much better than the 'normal' version of We Will Rock You IMO):

^^^
That live we will rock you version is great.

I confess to frequently indulging in watching a lot of queen videos. 

After all the years since I first head the seven seas of rye on radio or top of the pops I’ve never tired of queen and never will. 

Freddy Mercury is hard to beat as an iconic frontman and he’s also a proper singer plus  has some ability playing musical instruments. 

On 24/08/2018 at 15:43, Sugarlips said:

Some interesting choices so far, i'd add a few obvious ones, Prince, Bowie, Michael Hutchence, Robert Palmer all taken from us way too soon, plus some cool early rock n rollers like Eddie Cochran, Buddy Holly.

The one that hit me and i still miss a lot is George Michael, his musical output wasnt huge but the quality and heart and soul he put in to his work was outstanding. Its a real shame that Murdoch et al completly trashed him after the Beverley Hills incident and he was never the same basically a recluse, despite his seeming resilience in the media by way of self depreciating humour.

His later work and esp his vocal delivery holds up very well despite the abuse he seemingly put his body through with his drug use. RIP George, 53 is no age.

Here's his heartfelt cover of Elton John's 'Idol', well worth 5 mins of your time, it also has a lot of his idols in the clip, some will belong on this list..

https://g.co/kgs/D42Un3

I've come to appreciate George Michael more as I've got older. Complex bloke, had it all but was still deeply unhappy.