• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Dave Bloke

Worst ever beer

Recommended Posts

Let's face it, forget Life on Mars, the 70s were pretty shite. 3 day week, power cuts, rationing of practically everything: sugar, petrol, coffee, you name it. Women's fashion! Men's fashion? Leyland!!! British Rail Pork Pies. I could go on but what about Beer, well that was shite too. A mate and I were arguing which was the worst beer? Double Diamond or Watney's Red Barrel. They both tasted like a student had brewed them in an airing cupboard for nothing more than a couple of days using an old sock and sugar as ingredients.

These two beers must surely represent the nadir in all things British, the bottom of the "red" barrel ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, davidg said:

Let's face it, forget Life on Mars, the 70s were pretty shite. 3 day week, power cuts, rationing of practically everything: sugar, petrol, coffee, you name it. Women's fashion! Men's fashion? Leyland!!! British Rail Pork Pies. I could go on but what about Beer, well that was shite too. A mate and I were arguing which was the worst beer? Double Diamond or Watney's Red Barrel. They both tasted like a student had brewed them in an airing cupboard for nothing more than a couple of days using an old sock and sugar as ingredients.

These two beers must surely represent the nadir in all things British, the bottom of the "red" barrel ?

At least everybody knew they were shite.

What really annoyed me were the poncey, overpriced pissy lagers that were marketed as being cool and exotic in the 80s when in fact they were made in Staines or West Bromwich or something. 

'Oh look at me I drink Sol out of a bottle with a bit of lemon in it, for which I paid £3 and which I drink while wearing my prince of wales check suit, red glasses and pony tail and talking about my BMW and Apricot home computer...'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Budwiser or coors.

What ever favour.

Buds make even worse by the original being really nice.

Years ago, i had some regional beer gibbs mew and ushers which were terrible.

Im not a fan of all these flavoured stuff - if i want coffee flavoured beer ill but nescafe in. Ditto chocolate.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't remember them other than by name, I haven't drunk either, but I do remember that local Cornish bitter from when I started drinking back in the mid 80s was awful.  Duchy Bitter and Tinners Ale spring to mind.

The brewery is still going (St Austell Ales) but now produces seriously good beers.  I think this is an unappreciated effect of CAMRA: not only has it helped to preserve breweries and encouraged new start ups but it has massively raised the standard of real ale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

At least everybody knew they were shite.

What really annoyed me were the poncey, overpriced pissy lagers that were marketed as being cool and exotic in the 80s when in fact they were made in Staines or West Bromwich or something. 

'Oh look at me I drink Sol out of a bottle with a bit of lemon in it, for which I paid £3 and which I drink while wearing my prince of wales check suit, red glasses and pony tail and talking about my BMW and Apricot home computer...'

Sol was 1990. Apriot had gone well before that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've only not been able to finish three pints in my life. Fosters, Carling and Punk IPA.

The last one is slightly odd because it's the one that everyone assumed I'd like. I found it so over-hopped and sour that it made my face want to turn inside out. 

A while later, convinced I'd had a bad pint, I tried it again. Same thing, only managed a few sips. Absolutely minging. I'm afraid I just dont get it.

Australian beers are uniformly awful though I've been told they've upped their game recently. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, davidg said:

Let's face it, forget Life on Mars, the 70s were pretty shite. 3 day week, power cuts, rationing of practically everything: sugar, petrol, coffee, you name it. Women's fashion! Men's fashion? Leyland!!! British Rail Pork Pies. I could go on but what about Beer, well that was shite too. A mate and I were arguing which was the worst beer? Double Diamond or Watney's Red Barrel. They both tasted like a student had brewed them in an airing cupboard for nothing more than a couple of days using an old sock and sugar as ingredients.

These two beers must surely represent the nadir in all things British, the bottom of the "red" barrel ?

I remember Watneys, Mansfield Bitter, Lorimers, Ansells all being pretty vile in the 1970 though whether any are as awful as John Smiths from any era is a moot point. Double Diamond was something your Mum drank.

Edited by Virgil Caine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

I've only not been able to finish three pints in my life. Fosters, Carling and Punk IPA.

The last one is slightly odd because it's the one that everyone assumed I'd like. I found it so over-hopped and sour that it made my face want to turn inside out. 

A while later, convinced I'd had a bad pint, I tried it again. Same thing, only managed a few sips. Absolutely minging. I'm afraid I just dont get it.

Australian beers are uniformly awful though I've been told they've upped their game recently. 

I cid have one of those sour beers everyones been going on about.

Fucking awful. Like ear wax.

Just now, Virgil Caine said:

I remember Watneys, Mansfield Bitter, Lorimers, Ansells all being pretty vile un the 1970sbthough whether any are as awful as John Smiths from any era is a moot point. Double Diamond was something your Mum drank.

I used to drink john smiths. It was shit but cheap consistent piss with 3% alc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I drunk a wheat beer in the US who name I cannot recall but it was so foul the memory will stay with me forever.

Never liked London's Pride - had cold tea which tasted better. Most of the big brands are foul. Budd I find gross but apparently it is the major US beer.

There is a Sainsbury's Finest Kent real ale in a bottle - looks good but tasted really gross to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I drunk a wheat beer in the US who name I cannot recall but it was so foul the memory will stay with me forever.

Never liked London's Pride - had cold tea which tasted better. Most of the big brands are foul. Budd I find gross but apparently it is the major US beer.

There is a Sainsbury's Finest Kent real ale in a bottle - looks good but tasted really gross to me.

Londin Pride put me off southern beers. Funny caramel taste.

And i bought it in a fullers pub, so there was wallet pain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the early seventies I had a carlesburg special brew. Foul taste. I wasn’t fussy about taste as I liked effect but I couldn’t drink that stuff.

I wasn’t much of a beer drinker but my late father was a home brewer and his beer was really nice to drink. It was in a cool outhouse and you drew it from a barrel. He put gas in it too and it had a frothy top. Lovely stuff!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

The brewery is still going (St Austell Ales) but now produces seriously good beers.  I think this is an unappreciated effect of CAMRA: not only has it helped to preserve breweries and encouraged new start ups but it has massively raised the standard of real ale.

+1

I used to be quite happy drinking Boddingtons or Stella. But then, they were pretty ok compared to other beers. Nowadays I'd decline the Stella and just have a lime and soda instead...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I drunk a wheat beer in the US who name I cannot recall but it was so foul the memory will stay with me forever.

Never liked London's Pride - had cold tea which tasted better. Most of the big brands are foul. Budd I find gross but apparently it is the major US beer.

There is a Sainsbury's Finest Kent real ale in a bottle - looks good but tasted really gross to me.

Heathenry! That's one of my favourites if it's done properly :)

Honourable mention to Coopers Pale Ale as well. It was quite stupendously disgusting, like water that had previously been in a mop-bucket and used to clean out engines. That is the only beer I've ever drank whose first sip was followed by 'what the fuck?'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CCC will disagree with me here, but Tennents Lager is a foul chemical concoction that tastes like pish, so might as well cut out the middleman and just pour it against a back alley wall at crotch height.

You’ll thank me for avoiding the toxin induced hangover that results if you drink it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, spygirl said:

I cid have one of those sour beers everyones been going on about.

Fucking awful. Like ear wax.

I used to drink john smiths. It was shit but cheap consistent piss with 3% alc.

I tried to avoid it like the plague in the Sheffield pubs I frequented in the 1970s. One of my mates at the time was a virtual (later physical) alcoholic and it was the only beer I ever knew make him puke and that was not down to the alcohol content. No wonder he later joined AA.

Watneys Party 7 were amazing. When you opened them the beer sprayed round the room like a geyser but the moment you drank it the ale was as flat as a pancake. Never knew how they did it.

That said most of the gas top keg beers were piss. You never had to send back a bad pint because you never got a really good one. 

One thing I do miss from the era were the lowish alcohol light ales that I used to drink to cure my hangovers.

Edited by Virgil Caine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Londin Pride put me off southern beers. Funny caramel taste.

And i bought it in a fullers pub, so there was wallet pain.

I don't think I've ever had a Fullers beer that was anything below very good; Golden Pride (the barley wine) was too strong for me but was still qaulity.

Although despite repeated trying I could not get on with the other big traditional London brewer, Youngs.  I could just about manage their oatmeal stout but every one of their bitters had a tang that I didn't like.  It can only be the minearls in the water.  I also dislike Pedigree, Shepherd Neame, and Samuel Smiths' brews.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

I don't think I've ever had a Fullers beer that was anything below very good; Golden Pride (the barley wine) was too strong for me but was still qaulity.

Although despite repeated trying I could not get on with the other big traditional London brewer, Youngs.  I could just about manage their oatmeal stout but every one of their bitters had a tang that I didn't like.  It can only be the minearls in the water.  I also dislike Pedigree, Shepherd Neame, and Samuel Smiths' brews.

Sam smiths is wierd.

I love it. Other people avoid it.

Maybe not the bitter on tap. But the organic lager, bottled nut brown beer and oatmeal stout.

Im not sure as it was spoon before spoons - cheapest pint in town, so it attracted unwashed scum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Heathenry! That's one of my favourites if it's done properly :)

Honourable mention to Coopers Pale Ale as well. It was quite stupendously disgusting, like water that had previously been in a mop-bucket and used to clean out engines. That is the only beer I've ever drank whose first sip was followed by 'what the fuck?'

Fullers doesn’t seem to travel. I’ve had it in Chiswick near the brewery and it was great but I had it somewhere in the Midlands once and it was a bit nasty. I also had a pint of it here in Toronto once - served cold with a big foamy head on it - and it was beyond rancid!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.